Aerotech Ad.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You still have the special rear closure for 1-grain 54mm motors? Sigh. I wanted to fly 54mm Is in my Vulcan glider, but the extra closure made it more expensive.

Ari.

You still have the special rear closure for 1-grain 54mm motors? Sigh. I wanted to fly 54mm Is in my Vulcan glider, but the extra closure made it more expensive.

Ari.

But the reloads much much cheaper, by using a 38mm nozzle. That's a trade off I'm willing to take.

*DROOLS*

And to the rest of you. You sure know how to be hyper sensitive. Some of you clearly need to fly more rockets...Good grief. Flipping us off? Seriously? And the gal looks like she's drunk? REALLY?!

https://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l487/Northside777/IMG_3617.gif

Can't speak for anyone else, but I was just being silly (I think I posted that already???). I think the whole thread was intended to be read as sarcasm. In all seriousness, I never buy a product based on ads, and I couldn't care less about what CTI or AT do in their advertising. It was just fun to make light of the picture.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Maybe something like this?

This is much better than the wind chime ad an the EZ-Up ad, which were both terrible (sorry to say). It has a clear message --- fly any 54mm load with this system. So that's good.

I'd say the design of the ad is not that inspiring. I don't know if you use a designer, but you might want to look into it. The ad is very info-oriented. For example, the listing of the motors, all color-coded by propellant type, I assume. That part of the ad contains a lot of info, but it looks kind of weird with the color coding. It might not be necessary to have that complete list in that form, and maybe the space would be better used for something a bit more inspiring. The overall feel is an ad designed by an engineer, for engineers, and for people already looking for a 54 mm motor system who want a lot of detail for comparison. If that's what you are going for, it's a step in the right direction. If you are trying to motivate people to start looking at 54 mm for the first time, it's not really an attention grabber.

Not really true.

It's true in the sense that it indicates that people are aware of AT DMS motors. If someone has seen the ad, whether or not he liked it, then he knows that AT sells DMS motors. Down the road, if he starts thinking, "I wish I had a 54mm single-use motor," he remembers the ad.

I don't think it is useful for people who are flying CTI. Nothing in the ad would make them say, "Wow, I've got to switch over to AT DMS." Just my opinion.

It's true in the sense that it indicates that people are aware of AT DMS motors. If someone has seen the ad, whether or not he liked it, then he knows that AT sells DMS motors. Down the road, if he starts thinking, "I wish I had a 54mm single-use motor," he remembers the ad.

I don't think it is useful for people who are flying CTI. Nothing in the ad would make them say, "Wow, I've got to switch over to AT DMS." Just my opinion.

His point was that people are talking about the ad, so it is good advertising. I don't think that is true. People aren't talking about DMS motors or remembering that product message about the ad, they are talking about how amateurish and unprofessional the ad is. That's NOT good advertising. An ad should leave a person with a positive impression of a product, and if not that, then at least a positive impression of the brand (which is probably even more important). This does not leave a positive impression of the brand.

I remember when I first saw the wind chime ad. My first impression was that it just looked ridiculously amateurish, like no one even planned to take the photo that day, someone rounded up some random employees from the break room at lunch, and went outside to snap a pic on their cellphone. It looks cold and windy. People are squinting. And the silly wind chime! I did not understand the wind chime at all, because I had never heard of the CTI wind chime thing. My interpretation was that the ad was saying DMS made motor hardware obsolete, so you might as well turn all your AT hardware you already bought into wind chimes! Sorry suckers! Too bad you spent so much on our products, but it's just a worthless wind chime now! That's not a good message. So just because people are talking about an ad does not mean that the ad is building your brand or moving your products.

Anyway, it sounds like they are turning the page on that unfortunate ad. Hopefully, they will retire the other terrible ad, the one with the EZ-Up. And hopefully, they will spend some money on professional photographers and designers. My point is not to be snarky or belittling. I genuinely want to see the company succeed, so I'd like to see them put their best foot forward. I've worked for small companies before and companies founded and run by engineers. Often they were not great at communicating and did not understand the value of good communications, advertising, or clean, professional marketing materials. And often they did not want to spend the money on it. When I was a tech writer, sometimes they'd come to my department to do it, even though we didn't have the skills or background for it. These ads have the feel of some those ads we produced back in those days. Since then, I've come to really appreciate good design, and crisp, well-thought-out marketing messages.

You guys have way to much time on your hands and read way to much into a AD. The ad doesn't make me want to buy or not want to buy. The ad some me the have a product and that's it. If I need it I will buy it and if I don't then I won't look at the ad again. No time for crying over spilt milk.

I've worked for small companies before and companies founded and run by engineers. Often they were not great at communicating and did not understand the value of good communications, advertising, or clean, professional marketing materials. And often they did not want to spend the money on it. When I was a tech writer, sometimes they'd come to my department to do it, even though we didn't have the skills or background for it. These ads have the feel of some those ads we produced back in those days. Since then, I've come to really appreciate good design, and crisp, well-thought-out marketing messages.

As an engineer that has on more than one occasion had to devise marketing material (as well as trade show displays), I fully get - and agree with - what you're saying here. At least I was in a position to then turn over my ideas to an actual marketing professional (that was an outside contractor) to get turned into something usable. In my experience, engineers are typically smart people, but there is a very real reason that the stereotype of poor & awkward communication exists. Many of them are the Rich Purnell type and have no idea they're being difficult, and thus get frustrated when people don't inherently get what they think should be self-evident. So, it can be difficult to convince them that they should really hand that task off to someone that knows how to do it. I expect, though, that convincing them would be easier if you brought data...

Last edited:
Back