KloudBuster MAX - Cluster 'P' Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llickteig1

KLOUDBusters Chief Logistician
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
On Saturday 14Nov2015 the KloudBusterMAX project flew at the Argonia Rocket Pasture.

This rocket was about 22 1/2" tall, weighed somewhere in the 550# range and was powered by a central P6450 and three M2450 research motors. There was somewhere just short of 70,000Ns installed impulse.

This rocket was started by members of KloudBusters some 15 years ago and the current team was able to complete the rocket, cast the propellant and successfully launch it last Saturday - a picture perfect fall Kansas morning.

The linked video depicts the culmination of those efforts. As you can see, the motors performed flawlessly and the rocket flew great. The 'chute on the booster was tangled a little and acted more as a huge streamer but the rocket sustained only minor damage and could literally have been flown again with 2 hours or less of repairs (and 75# or so more propellant). We couldn't have been more pleased.

[video]https://youtu.be/MJ8r305I5kw[/video]

Media credit to Carrie and Chuck.

Many thanks to the project team for putting up with me and sticking with the project to get it done.

There is a TON more media on Facebook. Search #KloudBusterMAX. Also, this DropBox has much of the same media in case you don't Facebook: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vdutxkby5rd3ywi/AABWGGjSmPv6yvq1B1xCiyVaa?dl=0 There should be more photos posted in the next couple weeks via Facebook or Dropbox as well.

Thanks, --Lance.

KBMax_01Static.jpg

KBMax_02Ready.jpg

KBMax_03Erected.jpg

Last edited:
Unfreakinbelievable Lance...
When I saw the booster sitting in front of the registration table at the Airfest event
it was so big I thought it was a static display model....
I do believe that's the biggest rocket I've ever seen,, bar none...
I sure do wish I could've been there to see the flight...
The boost up looked just perfect...
It looked a bit like the drogue on the main helped a little to hold the main closed so it didn't inflate...
All in all a great flight...
My greatest congratulations to the whole team...
That certainly isn't an easy project to get off the ground.... ( get it,, get off the ground,, aww ferget it,, lol )...

Teddy

Unfreakinbelievable Lance...
When I saw the booster sitting in front of the registration table at the Airfest event
it was so big I thought it was a static display model....
I do believe that's the biggest rocket I've ever seen,, bar none...
I sure do wish I could've been there to see the flight...
The boost up looked just perfect...
It looked a bit like the drogue on the main helped a little to hold the main closed so it didn't inflate...
All in all a great flight...
My greatest congratulations to the whole team...
That certainly isn't an easy project to get off the ground.... ( get it,, get off the ground,, aww ferget it,, lol )...

Teddy
Thanks Teddy.

Getting the thing off the ground and back in the same number of pieces bowled me over emotionally with satisfaction. It was a monumental undertaking, but we did it.

The damn main 'chute was too big and honestly presented more challenges that it was worth, but it was all we had available. I think what happened is that a cluster of shroud lines (there are 60 on that 'chute) got looped over a big chunk of the lower canopy. It actually looked like they slipped off (or at least started to) at the very end. Amazingly, though, the only real landing damage was from when the rocket fell over and cracked the upper bulkhead attachments just a little.

We had a great team during the construction phases and right up to the end while we cast propellant and prepped the propulsion; plus a very hard-working team was available out at the pad on Friday and Saturday morning. The pad and rocket went together in about 2/3 of the time I expected and we were able to hit the early morning window before the wind kicked up.

Needless to say, I was on Cloud 9 for a while after we pulled this one off.

--Lance.

Thanks Teddy.

Getting the thing off the ground and back in the same number of pieces bowled me over emotionally with satisfaction. It was a monumental undertaking, but we did it.

The damn main 'chute was too big and honestly presented more challenges that it was worth, but it was all we had available. I think what happened is that a cluster of shroud lines (there are 60 on that 'chute) got looped over a big chunk of the lower canopy. It actually looked like they slipped off (or at least started to) at the very end. Amazingly, though, the only real landing damage was from when the rocket fell over and cracked the upper bulkhead attachments just a little.

We had a great team during the construction phases and right up to the end while we cast propellant and prepped the propulsion; plus a very hard-working team was available out at the pad on Friday and Saturday morning. The pad and rocket went together in about 2/3 of the time I expected and we were able to hit the early morning window before the wind kicked up.

Needless to say, I was on Cloud 9 for a while after we pulled this one off.

--Lance.

Lance,,
Right from the word go,,
How the heck do you get something this big off the ground..
How do you get it to the pad ??
How do you get it on the pad without a crane ??
I'm not kiddin,,
This thing is so big the logistics are crazy...
Lance,,
I know you'll laugh at me,,
how big was the ignitor ??
What size was the core in the central motor ??
I know you guy's have had this flight in the works for a long time...
You should all be very proud of yourselves..

Yes,,
I saw that the chute really tried to inflate just as the ground jumped up at the rocket,, lol...
That's funny,,
If you had another 500 ft it would have inflated,, right ??
I must admit,, in my old age,, lol,, I am becoming a fan of simplicity,, with everything,, chutes included,,
60 shroud lines,, wow,, that's one you better get packed correctly,, lol...
But for that much weight your chute options must be pretty slim...

My greatest compliments Lance,,,
Please shake everyone's hand once for me,,, lol...

Teddy

A tip of my hat to everyone involved. That must have been a MAMMOTH undertaking, and congratulations on a successful launch!

There is something really special about a P cluster and not caring about breaking the waiver. We could do that one out east even.

Nice job Lance & team.

Lance,

Any details on the construction? Such as what type of airframe to achieve the 30" dia.? Nose cone build?

-Tim

Any good launch shots? I've seen some video and setup pics. Incredible rocket! I too would be interested in construction techniques...you know, for my next 30" diameter project;)

Sono-tube, 2x4's, liquid nail, ply-wood & some spit!

baRL86gzuUGG4Ga__xw3MEdlLnP0s_nOPTMTejN35xU,Zgpzd46sleZADcs4gAnGOeSp7nxiizhSj9VszkXaohA.jpeg

Outstanding Lance & the boys.

We were just inquiring about that "monument" last Airfest, & wether it would fly or not. I've seen the darn thing at every AF I've been to [7-8?] and was sure it was just a display. Even though you assured me "SOMEDAY it will fly" I was being to think it was just another Big-Foot myth.

Congrats on debunking the urban myth!

Cj

Awesome! I got a kick out of hearing the elation in the crowd when the main partially inflates.

I just love these big multi-year big projects. I hope to be lucky enough to get involved in one just as successful...very impressive!

Cool project Kloudbusters! Hard to comprehend the size of that beast until you see the perspective shot with a 1:1 scale Kloudbuster and human!

-Eric-

Back