Altus Metrum AltOS on Mac OS X El Capitan

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verex

Reaction score
Hi there,

I would like to ask you about AltOS software on the newest Mac OS X El Capitan. I have tried to install that software and older version of JAVA, but it still doesn't work. Do anyone know why I cannot install that?

When I'm trying to install AltosUI I can see the window with an information "AltosUI program is damaged and cannot be opened. Eject disc image" or something like that. I don't know is this a JAVA question, or maybe new OS X caused that?

Best
Damian

// edit: Sorry, I just solved my problem. I had to change security & privacy settings in system preferences and then the program have ran.

Last edited:
You need to go into your 'security' settings and set it to allow downloaded applications to run.

I run both TeleGPS and AltOS on El Capitan without any issues. Keith is correct in that you need to adjust the default security setting in order to install some software. However I wold of expected the error handling to throw up a message to that effect and not what you are experiencing. Verify the security settings first and if you're still having issues you can PM me.

However I wold of expected the error handling to throw up a message to that effect and not what you are experiencing.

Sadly, the error message provided just says that the software is broken, not that it comes from a non-Apple source.

Keith,

Running into some issues with the UI. Running El Capitan on one of the newer Macbook Pros, which fully recognizes the TeleMetrum v2.0 and TeleDongle v3.0 I have installed via USB... however the UI won't recognize anything and doesn't provide any options to select an altimeter or a ground station. I have reinstalled the software (even earlier versions) but can't find a solution. Furthermore, I installed 1.6.1 on both a virtual Windows 10 platform (on my Macbook) and on Windows 7 on a PC but can't even get the program to open, at all.

Any help is appreciated! I'm sure I'm doing something silly.

the UI won't recognize anything and doesn't provide any options to select an altimeter or a ground station.

I think something has changed in the USB enumeration APIs in this version of Mac OS X. I'll have to find a machine running this version to debug and get things working again.

Keith,

Is there an ETIC for this? Sort of struck with a TeleMetrum I can't use at the moment.

Is there an ETIC for this? Sort of struck with a TeleMetrum I can't use at the moment.

I haven't found anyone around with the newer Mac OS version; I'll keep hunting, but I have very few friends who don't run Linux.

@Keith,

I have El Capitan 10.11.4. And as you know from our out of band conversations, I'm already a little familiar with the Altus Metrum ecosystem. I also run a Debian VM a lot of the time (alternative way to interrogate the USB bus). I don't have a Telemetrum at the moment but I think I could scrounge one up from the local club or university projects long enough to do some fiddling.

Anyway - If you still need access to OSX I'd be happy to work with you to help diagnose any issues.

Kind Regards,

Wes

I've managed to get access to a machine and have something that works for me. Further testing would be awesome. I haven't tested this on older versions of the OS, and it may well break there. Sorry for not updating the version number at this point...

https://keithp.com/~keithp/altos-1.6.2/Altos-Mac-1.6.2.dmg

(link fixed now)

Last edited:
Loaded a machine with El Capitan and 1.6.2. Loaded fine but required a legacy version of Java. Loaded the Java version and was good to go. Started the app and began downloading maps locally. Noticed a bit of a glitch when clicking on the map list. Completed downloading my maps and plugged in a Teledongle with 1.6.1 on it. OSX asked me to setup the new network device, it showed up as a serial device in the network list, hit apply and all is good. Everything seems to be in order with the exception of the map location drop down list, now it won't let me select a map (doesn't drop down).

Everything seems to be in order with the exception of the map location drop down list, now it won't let me select a map (doesn't drop down).

The list is populated by downloading it from the net -- if you don't have a working network connection, you won't get anything in the site list. That's how we're able to add new sites to the list without sending out new software bits.

The list is populated by downloading it from the net -- if you don't have a working network connection, you won't get anything in the site list. That's how we're able to add new sites to the list without sending out new software bits.

Thanks Keith. In that case it looks like El Capitan is working fine for me with 1.6.2.

I will report any other finding as I get a few flights under the new configuration.

Latest posts

Back