Crazy Jim's "Punisher-4" new flight video with 4in Fly-away-guides

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
....... or was that Lucky Charms?
Anyhow,

Wildman put on altitude contest at Airfest this year & I won the prize. New Missleworks GPS.
Thanks Tim & the "other" Jim! :smile:

But somehow when I got to MWP this year to claim it. It magically had turned into a New 4 inch Punisher. :y:
Ya don't look a gift leprechaun in the face, you never know what might happen, so I better just build it.
He told me I had to have it built before Black Friday, or he would turn me into a toad.

One thing for sure..I ain't painting it green!!#$%# :flying pig:

So the magic begins....the obligatory parts shot.
Basic bullet. 4inch airframe.
75mm motor hole.
Nose cone Dual Deploy [H.E.D] head end deploy
Phenolic tip threaded for eyebolt to attach recovery harness/main chute
3/16 thick fins
Nice beefy av-bay/NC shoulder, large enough to hold tons off....stuff!

Needed is 1in Kevlar for Y-harness & whatever you want to use for recovery loop/harness in NC.
I used my old "Jethro" kevlar belt, in NC loop.... Tim know what I'm talk'n about...LOL

I already figured out how to put a 6xl/7600 case in it..... add a tailcone and no eyebolt in apogee BP...use kevlar strap to attach recovery gear. Mine is already half built, so I stuck a 7600 case in it. I think I might be able to do it, even with out a tailcone.
Then I'm off to wash and sand stuff.

DSCN5342.jpg

Last edited:
Freaking awesome. I am not sure how many more Punishers I can fit in this home, but maybe one more!

Parts were washed, sanded and pre-fitted.

Lay Y-harness material across CR and mark for notches.
File or Dremel notches.

DSCN5343.jpg DSCN5345.jpg

I'm using bolt on Aero-Pac retainer so rear CR gets mounted flush on tube. Tack on with CA.
Slip Y-harness into place under notches on CR and push into place. I only glue approx. 6in.onto tube.
Dry fit/place fins into position and slide upper CR down on them tight. Tack with Ca. [this is for doing injected fillets, so glue won't leak around CR's.
Remove fins.

DSCN5350.jpg

Insert assembly into airframe and test fit fins. I number fins and slots for later gluing.

DSCN5348.jpg

If everything fits correct, remove and glue Kevlar to motor mount. If not remove adjust, test fit again and glue on.

DSCN5351.jpg

Set aside to cure.

Slide assembly [after glue cured] into airframe.
Be sure Kevlar strap is NOT blocking any slots.
Scribe or mark where slots are for future gluing.
Remove assembly when finished.

DSCN5364.jpg DSCN5366.jpg

Drill holes for injecting on each side of slot. Just large enough for what size syringe tip you have to fit.
You can always trim the tip back if hole in syringe is too small.
Fin root for these is short enough I only use one hole per side.

Sand each side of slot 1in.. for external fillets

DSCN5372.jpg

Finally slide coupler into fin can and mark 3 lines on to it through slots. Remove.
These lines will be used later for marking Shear pin positions & vent holes on Av-bay.

DSCN0988.jpg

Yeah I forgot to take pic, so this one from another build.

Last edited:
It looks good Jim/Tim. I've got my PP account warmed up. I'm just waiting for the sales to begin. :wink:

It looks good Jim/Tim.

Thank you Chris & I haven't forgotten those fins you sent me. Working on a "special" project for those, but that's going to take a while.
Thinking of using them as cores for a Xtreme minimum project. Covered with tapering layers of "uni" pre-preg carbon tissue,vacuum bagged & heat treated. That should keep foils intact

Toying with another A-51 all carbon 75mm Mach-Buster. Convolute wound pre-preg "uni" high temp tubes, "uni" plate fins,Kevlar pulp_____$%$#____& etc.
Will be looking for a couple of special breed rocketeers wanting to be part of this one brave enough to try and break it.....lol
More later on that one. It will definitely be a Maclaren & not for the faint of heart.[price of THAT pre-preg alone could pay for a Maclaren]

Back to it:

OMG... I have a "nub"...what am I supposed to do??????/ Lol

Before I go any further, true up the cone & vent band. Took a whopping 5 minutes.
Tube was dead nuts on!
That was a real pleasure.

Tape is on there to mark spot, for "key" marks.
Now I can turn it upside down & continue with the fin can & while the glue is curing build the NC dual deploy.

DSCN5376.jpg DSCN5378.jpg

Fins are tacked on with JB weld & aligned with plate guides .
I had to work fast to install all 3 at once,hence no pics.
Using my new technique of utilizing a couple drops of CA in slot to fin joint.
This locks fins in place while JB cures & guides can be removed.
You can see where CA ran down the slot edge. Instantly they are rendered immovable,so no need for tape wrap or other paraphernalia to keep in place while curing.

DSCN5374.jpg

The "other" carbon tube is made of "unobtainium" for a German O-3400 record attempt & that's the high temp cone for it.
Confidentiality agreements won't allow any particulars.

Yes the NC coupler/av-bay was placed on lathe [just an easy way to spin it] where a smoothed it out a bit with 400 grit. Then polished it with compound.

DSCN5329.jpg

Left shiny side that's glaring after polish. I did not need much work at all to get perfect fit.
Had I done it by hand 10-15 minutes.

DSCN5386.jpg

Really nice to have assortment of proper tools to use, previously I was a " maschinist nightmare"...lol

Last edited:
Looking good sir! :) On mine, I am also using the standard Aeropack 75, not a tail cone. Instead of placing the rear centering flush with the motor mount tube I might leave a 3/16 or 1/4 inch gap at the rear. That way I can add some epoxy at the rear of the rocket as well. On yours, the bolt on Aeropack will be recessed a bit, correct?

I'll be watching this thread with interest. :)

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Toying with another A-51 all carbon 75mm Mach-Buster. Convolute wound pre-preg "uni" high temp tubes, "uni" plate fins,Kevlar pulp_____$%$#____& etc.
Will be looking for a couple of special breed rocketeers wanting to be part of this one brave enough to try and break it.....lol
More later on that one. It will definitely be a Maclaren & not for the faint of heart.[price of THAT pre-preg alone could pay for a Maclaren]

I'm always interested in extreme high altitude projects... Would definitely be quite the experience being part of a team doing one...

Looks good so far!
I may need to add a Punisher to my fleet. :)

You should...they're magically delicious! They compliment all known "flavors" of motors!:facepalm:

Oh no! Don't bring back "nub-gate"! :wink:

Seriously awesome rocket! Can't wait to see it done and how it flies. Any ideas about paint/sticker design yet? :pop:

I have found the "Holy Grail" for removing those pesky nubs!
I'm working on the scheme.

NAIR

Looking good sir! :) On mine, I am also using the standard Aeropack 75, not a tail cone. Instead of placing the rear centering flush with the motor mount tube I might leave a 3/16 or 1/4 inch gap at the rear. That way I can add some epoxy at the rear of the rocket as well. On yours, the bolt on Aeropack will be recessed a bit, correct?

Correct [recessed] because I did inject, butts up to fin & rear slot edge.
My slots were a bit long, so I made sure fins were pushed to back,yielding that extra 3/8th in.
I think I will try using a "removable" second Vent band, to get me that extra space needed for 7600 case. Just slide it up to permanent one when needed.

Regarding your fin beveling.
I think I know why you went with just leading/trailing bevel only.
Do you really think beveled tips screw with airflow in the shock wave or do you have other reason [cosmetic?]

I'm watching yours also....waiting to see some of your usual trick! Good luck with build

I'm always interested in extreme high altitude projects... Would definitely be quite the experience being part of a team doing one...

We'll keep in touch. Where would you be willing to fly to over 30,000ft?

Last edited:
I got a PM with a good question.
I should have addressed this gotcha before
............................................................................................................................................................................................
Hey CJ...
I'm working on a HED av bay, and the coupler fits super snug in the nosecone. I need to get it sanded down, but don't have a lathe... Any good suggestions other than elbow grease?

............................................................................................................................................................................................

Mark off coupler half that goes in cone.....other half should be perfect fit in tube & you don't want to ruin that by sanding.

I always just wet sanded with 320 or 400. Usually just a few minutes. Easy to over-do, then coupler get loose and wobbly, wedges & seems even harder to fit, when actually if you get it aligned "just so" it will go right in.

Be careful....the NC base is very flexible & if you grab it from that end it will flex & "grab" the coupler. Handle it from the tip end where it's thicker and you get a true sense of the fit.
I do my fitting before attaching the tip, so air can freely move in/out. If tip is on, you have a vacuum when pulling out, so put your vent hole in NC. Makes for easier fitting.
I have seen guys grabbing cone around base, while trying to get coupler in, they squeeze the cone just making it tighter and tighter....sanding more & getting nowhere fast. Good question ...think I'll copy it to my thread.

This over-sanding is the most common error I have seen, be careful!

Inject all fillets, took all day.
You know the drill. Do one set.Wait for glue to cure.
Rotate...do second set...etc,

DSCN5394.jpg

Place fincan on level table.

Inject mixture of Carbon fiber & glue. Pinch of carbon...size of dime. Mix glue thoroughly for 1 minute, then add fibers. Mix for another 1-2 minutes until fibers dispersed & broken up from bundles.

I used West 105 & 105 hardener. [Only because that's what I have] Any high quality glue will do.
25ml resin
5ml hardener.

30ml total.

inject 15ml into each hole/fillet. This is plenty, you don't want a boat anchor.
More is NOT always better!

It is a good idea to tape both sides of joint between slot/fin/holes on fin hanging down.
If any glue leaks, will keep from coming out and making mess.That happened to me this time & I had to re-drill holes on that fin , they were glued shut....LOL

DSCN3482.jpg

That is all.

It is a good idea to tape both sides of joint between slot/fin/holes on fin hanging down.
If any glue leaks, will keep from coming out and making mess.That happened to me this time & I had to re-drill holes on that fin , they were glued shut....LOL

Jim,

I have gone to adding a mix of Cabosil and milled fiberglass @ approx 3:1 by volume. I then add this to the epoxy (US Composites medium in my case) at about 1/4 to 1/3 the volume. Resultant consistency is a little thicker than syrup. I then inject. I also then sit the rocket on end fore/aft for about 3 min. each to get good flow to each slot end before setting back to horizontal. Since beginning this practice I no longer get any leaking. The milled fiberglass kind of interlocks with the CF strands and the Cabosil does a great job of gap filling. I'm probably adding a bit of strength with the milled FG and loosing a bit with the Cabosil, but net-net I believe I'm more than OK, and best, I have no mess without adding tape or any other dam. You might test something like this the next time...

-Tim

We'll keep in touch. Where would you be willing to fly to over 30,000ft?

Well I don't don't have anywhere around here, but I'd love an excuse to get out to other parts of the country for a launch. If you have something you've got in mind pm me here or on the other forum (same username) and I'll see what I can do to contribute.

Jim,

I have gone to adding a mix of Cabosil and milled fiberglass @ approx 3:1 by volume. I then add this to the epoxy (US Composites medium in my case) at about 1/4 to 1/3 the volume. Resultant consistency is a little thicker than syrup. I then inject. I also then sit the rocket on end fore/aft for about 3 min. each to get good flow to each slot end before setting back to horizontal. Since beginning this practice I no longer get any leaking. The milled fiberglass kind of interlocks with the CF strands and the Cabosil does a great job of gap filling. I'm probably adding a bit of strength with the milled FG and loosing a bit with the Cabosil, but net-net I believe I'm more than OK, and best, I have no mess without adding tape or any other dam. You might test something like this the next time...

-Tim

Me like that. I will give that a shot next time. Thanks

So what is it? Are we all building Punisher's right now? I for one started about a month ago feeling a bit guilty that I had my Black Saturday purchase from 2014 still sitting in the corner and yet another year's sale was rolling around :facepalm:.

IMG_2262.jpg

Well Tim,

Glad to see you're playing "catch up" with some of your recovery time. Hope you are healing up OK! :smile:
Looks like you finished the 3in. version, just in time to get a 4in. this week.
I think you'll find it/they will become one of your favorite flier's...they fly so well on such a wide variety of motors & are easy to prep-carry out of fields and take such a small amount of space during transport.

So while my first set of external fillets are curing, we'll skip that for the moment & work on NC & av-bay/coupler.

I used 2.5 ft of 3/8's Kevlar for recovery loop, attached to eyebolt [supplied with kit].
Pre-installed on E-bolt with a simple square knot.

DSCN5392.jpg

Drop harness with tip removed into cone.
A few drops of blue Loc-Tite on threads, to keep it in place, & screw the tip on.
I could reach inside with pliers to tighten.

DSCN5411.jpg

Taped [utilizing electrical tape] tails from knot securely in place to neaten up.

DSCN5407.jpg

Then pulled knot down to E-bolt , so it's out of the way.

DSCN5412.jpg

Oh yeah... I did have another "nub" incident'', that was easily rectified with a bit of sanding after the guilty tip was installed.

DSCN5413.jpg

Last edited:
Or DINK...

Dink....aDink....a...do......

Wish I could show you that one. It took awhile to come up with, cute little speed demon, with fins a bit different, but very sleek.
Looks fast just sitting still. Plus a name that will keep folks smiling every time you say it out loud...LOL

I declare:
a large den of "Dinks" dominating da sales dis weekend!
Maybe we should call it .........

"Dink Day"

............. the invasion is COMING soon!

So what is it? Are we all building Punisher's right now? I for one started about a month ago feeling a bit guilty that I had my Black Saturday purchase from 2014 still sitting in the corner and yet another year's sale was rolling around :facepalm:.

So, you think it's time for me to start my Black Saturday 4" Vindicator dual deploy? Which Black Saturday was that anyway???? 2009? Nope just checked the thread I saved... 2011.... Hmm, time to start methinks :eyeroll: :facepalm:

Adrian

So, you think it's time for me to start my Black Saturday 4" Vindicator dual deploy? Which Black Saturday was that anyway???? 2009? Nope just checked the thread I saved... 2011.... Hmm, time to start methinks :eyeroll: :facepalm:

Adrian

Adrian you are in a league of your own... Mr. Mañana .

Adrian

I like the pace you build Adrian. It serves the community well... ;-)

Adrian

Well if you don't want to build it, send it here. I will. Then I'll probably fly it.

Sure seems like it! I hope to get a lot more done on mine over the long holiday weekend. :pop:

Here's what is looks like sized next to the 3in........just in case it shows up on special.....for those who may be interested in getting one.

DSCN5415.jpg

Who knows, it may even be red already & you won't have to paint it!

So far fin can weighs 4.2lbs
Nc with hardware & sled 2.2 lbs.
Total 6.4 lb

Heck my payload section alone [loaded] for my 4in Wildman weighs 5.8lbs....this whole darn rocket should come in around 9.

Last edited:
If I read this correctly, you can fly 6XL but need to pack drogue around the motor casing and skip some bolts?

That sounds crazy, looking at the 3 to 4 comparison!

Here's what is looks like sized next to the 3in........just in case it shows up on special.....for those who may be interested in getting one.

View attachment 276732

Who knows, it may even be red already & you won't have to paint it!

So far fin can weighs 4.2lbs
Nc with hardware & sled 2.2 lbs.
Total 6.4 lb

Heck my payload section alone [loaded] for my 4in Wildman weighs 5.8lbs....this whole darn rocket should come in around 9.

Jim- did you put a motor mount in it?4" minimum diameter- you can adapt down😄

Back