Editing motor files?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
I recently had to reinstall Rocksim after getting a new laptop. Along with that, I had download and import a bunch motor files that aren't included by default. The file for the Estes E12, however, seems whacked. When I load the motor into a rocket, the total mass jumps up by about 2,074 ounces, and of course, the simulated flight fails. Clearly, there's something wrong with the motor file - I'm quite sure that the E12 doesn't weight 130 pounds... When I removed the file and redownloaded it from thrustcurve.org, I got the same result. The issue only exists with this one motor file as far as I know. Has anyone else run into this? Is there a way to correct the file?

It looks like the E12 is missing the certified total weight value. The total weight of 59g in the RASP file seems reasonable to me.

As far as editing motor data files, it's easily done since there's just plain text. The .ENG files are RASP format, documeted here and the .RSE files are XML.

It looks like the E12 is missing the certified total weight value. The total weight of 59g in the RASP file seems reasonable to me.

As far as editing motor data files, it's easily done since there's just plain text. The .ENG files are RASP format, documeted here and the .RSE files are XML.

That is great data John. Looking at the .c file explains why some of the .eng files for CTI engines fail. The line
Code:
  int    delay[8];     /* ejection delays available (sec)              */
defines the delay array at 8. Some of the CTI engine files would list all of the possible delays available such as 4,5,6,7,8,9,...14 and once the list got longer then what the delay array was sized for, WRasp32 would crash. All it takes is one motor definition in an .eng file to cause the crash.

Some of the Eng files were exports from Rocksim engine editor Rse files. Rse supports the multiple delay times.

Back