Stuck CTI Reload

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
So my USLI team did something a little silly this past April...They flew a K1440 in a Pro54 6g case and I recall rather expicitly telling them to take the reload out and throw it away - like immediately. Weeeeeelllll that didn't happen and I did not discover this until this past Sunday.

I am not particularly familiar with CTI casings so anyone have a suggestion how to get it out?

-Dave

Push hard on the forward end. Pound it on some wood. It will break free. Put it in front of a heater a bit to soften everything up if you can't move it. Send it to me if you give up. I'll get it. I'll even pay to send back your case. I like the challenge.

Push hard on the forward end. Pound it on some wood. It will break free. Put it in front of a heater a bit to soften everything up if you can't move it. Send it to me if you give up. I'll get it. I'll even pay to send back your case. I like the challenge.

LOL ok! I may take you up on that. I'll try the heater thing.

It shouldn't take much heat. Just don't bang it on anything other than wood.

If no spacer was used, the ejection well should stick out of the case. Tap that hard on a hard surface (paver, concrete floor, etc). That should brake it loose. Then stick a dowel in the well end and remove the liner + forward closure by tapping the dowel on the same hard surface.

If you did use spacers, ramrod a wooden dowel down in there. I knock mine out that way all the time.

I should also note, however, that I smear every reload with grease before I insert it.

I had to stick mine in an oven (to expand the casing) to make any headway.

I had to stick mine in an oven (to expand the casing) to make any headway.

Yeah I tried leaving it on the defrost this morning for a while with full heat and got the case so hot I needed gloves to hold it and that did not do the trick. I'll try the oven once the wife is gone for a while. How hot did you get the oven?

Just send it to me. The harder this sounds, the more I wanna try it!!!!

Yeah I tried leaving it on the defrost this morning for a while with full heat and got the case so hot I needed gloves to hold it and that did not do the trick. I'll try the oven once the wife is gone for a while. How hot did you get the oven?

450 degrees. Warmed it for twenty minutes or so, then proceeded with the dowel method as usual.

Hmmm... Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" comes to mind...... You could soak it for a few days in some water with a just a tad detergent.

I feel strongly enough to reiterate this: put some white grease on your reload before inserting it in the case. Makes a world of difference. I have not had a reload get stuck since I started that.

I feel strongly enough to reiterate this: put some white grease on your reload before inserting it in the case. Makes a world of difference. I have not had a reload get stuck since I started that.

Agree. Just because the directions don't tell you to do it doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

The directions tell you to lube the case before installing the reload.

The directions tell you to lube the case before installing the reload.

Ok...I'm pretty sure I did that because I am kinda anal about following directions especially on a product I am not used to. Can't say for sure since we're talking about last April.

Is this the CTI world? I haven't had a stuck liner in the AT world since I stopped greasing the liners.

Jab if I've ever seen one :).

Wasn't intended that way. I don't fly CTI so I don't know how those preformed liners work. The only CTI I've ever flow were a Pro54 6GXL and a Pro54 6G. I did have to grease the inside of the case because the forward closure has to be pushed all the way through the case just to get it in and the o-rings didn't like moving once the grease was rubbed off of them. I would assume grease is need in the case to get them to slide back out too.
I used to have a lot of trouble with greased liners in the AT, especially the 29mm where they use the glassine coated cardboard liners instead of the phenolic liners. They tended to burn through and turn the grease into a thick sticky mess that locked what was left of the liners in place. Once I stopped greasing those, I haven't had any problems, they push out even if they burn through.

Last edited:
Handeman, interesting. I've not had that issue before, but I use disk brake lube for my AT reloads.

Is this the CTI world? I haven't had a stuck liner in the AT world since I stopped greasing the liners.

Yes, CTI. A little white grease, slide it in. Poke it out with a dowel after recovery. DAllen's original post was about a CTI casing.

As I said, I have a very limited experience with CTI loads. Does the grease/spray have to go into the case, or on the liner?

The experience I did have was that I needed to grease the case so the o-rings on the forward closure would slide the length of the case without binding up. If you grease the liner, how do you get the o-rings to slide down the length of the case? Does greasing the liner help removal because it lubes the case and allows the forward o-rings to slide back out afterwards?

From the CTI website, instructions for Pro54 High-Power Reloadable Motor System:

'The o-rings are pre-lubricated at the factory, but we recommended that you apply a light film of silicone o-ring lubricant to the inside edge of the motor casing where the reload kit will be inserted. This will make installation and removal of the reload kit much easier!'

Also from same instructions in the 'Post Firing' section:

'Unscrew the retaining ring kit from the motor casing. Using a wooden dowel or a piece of plastic tubing, push on the forward closure to eject the reload assembly from the casing. A fair amount of force may be required to overcome the resistance of the o-rings. Be careful not to dent or scratch the motor casing in any way. The use of metal tools is NOT recommended.'

Just brainstorming...how about a hammer drill (or auto hammer) with an attachment to a wood dowel? Maybe the "faster than human" oscillations and pounding can get it out and the wood dowel would help avoid any damage. One person holds the tool and another (who's not afraid of hand buzzers) holds the casing. YMMV :)

I carry a supply of various dowels, sized so they just fit thru the front end of the cti tube....if a little banging doesnt help, I have someone step on it and use my dead blow hammer (AKA ankle biter, don't ask) on the end of the dowel.

I carry a supply of various dowels, sized so they just fit thru the front end of the cti tube....if a little banging doesnt help, I have someone step on it and use my dead blow hammer (AKA ankle biter, don't ask) on the end of the dowel.

I actually recall seeing this at one of the launches...it was either you or Rick! :)

Something to consider for future launches. I have always used this and never had a stuck case.

images (13).jpg

Back