Recovery beeper

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbecks

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any small beeping devices that could be put into a rocket to help with recover. I've spent a lot of time looking for a few rockets that fell in some tall grass. I've walked within feet of a rocket several times before actually finding it. A link or outside the box idea are always welcome

I happen to have a Rocketarium beeper/blinker sized for low-power rockets which I'd sell to you for $10 including shipping and battery.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1447806399.437653.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1447806427.669316.jpg

I've used some personal alarms from Lowes that cost about 3$ a piece. They are activated by a pull pin and are very loud. Each end gets attached to opposite ends of the shock cord, so when the ejection charge fires, it activates the alarm.

They're not perfect, but better than nothing.

Be sure to test it under different conditions. I used a large buzzer for my L2 flight and ended up barely hearing it once it was on the ground. I had a GPS bearing to the rocket, so I found it OK, but was disappointed with the buzzer. Landing with the buzzer facing downward can really mute the volume.

Awesome great advice from everyone. I think ideally for me would be something I don't have to get shipped but I will weigh all my options and see what works best for my rocket building style. Has anyone converted other items to do this function? For instance get taking a part a watch or alarm clock?

For instance get taking a part a watch or alarm clock?

I would recommend against this, as they are nowhere near loud enough. The personal alarms that I get from Lowes are way way louder (earsplitting loud) but like Pat_B mentioned above, even those can be strangely quiet in a outdoors environment.

I was looking for the lowes one I cant seem to get it locally as far as I can tell from there website.

Not sure where you are located- but mine has it in a strange place- they're on an end cap somewhere between paint and lighting. Dunno why, but I buy 2 or 3 at a time.

if you can't find them, pm me, and i'll pick up one or two for ya.

I always use one of DOug's https://www.pratt-hobbies.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MB-12 microbeacons to solve the "last 50 feet" issue with tracking electronics.

Put a plastic strip in between the battery and spring and have that pulled out by the harness so the beacon turns on after deployment.

This is exactly what I did and I've had good luck with the microbeacon except for one time. I used a battery that was open in my battery container at home instead of a new one and it didn't last long enough at all. Wasn't even making a peep when I found my rocket. Would've saved me hours trudging through tall corn fields.

:facepalm:

I'm dumb, I just ordered one but never thought to phone my hobby store to see if they carry anything like that. It would be grossly overpriced though.

They should be on the "home security" section

They should make a section at the hardware store called "stuff that you need for rockets". It would include threaded rod, these beeper things, and machetes.

I used a battery that was open in my battery container at home instead of a new one and it didn't last long enough at all. Wasn't even making a peep when I found my rocket. Would've saved me hours trudging through tall corn fields.

:facepalm:

Batteries just don't last like they used to... :sigh:

I would recommend against this, as they are nowhere near loud enough. The personal alarms that I get from Lowes are way way louder (earsplitting loud) but like Pat_B mentioned above, even those can be strangely quiet in a outdoors environment.

I can see two other possible results of using this personal alarm:
Either, you'll get a crowd of rape advocates descending on the rocket to help arrest the perp...
or the over use will numb the public (like car alarms always going off did) and so, NOBODY will take notice anymore....:facepalm:

They should make a section at the hardware store called "stuff that you need for rockets". It would include threaded rod, these beeper things, and machetes.

...I think I saw that movie....:wink:

I just ordered from China too I just couldn't find what I needed locally

I just bought a couple of these. I know you said you would rather get something local, and they take awhile to get here from China, but you cant beat the price if you are willing to wait.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231658234139?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

These, and ones like 'em, are what I've been using. Work great. If you shop around on ebay, you can find them for about $1. It's cheaper to get new ones than to buy batteries for them!

Back