Keychain cam reco for TINY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prophecy

Reaction score
I'm normally not the type to load my projects up with gratuitous electronics (there's a distinct demographic in rocketry with the opposing viewpoint, I've learned) - but TINY (my most recent high-alt project, build thread in HPR forum) intentionally sacrifices a bit on mass fraction due to waiver constraints and has more room than my last project, so I figure I'd like to include onboard video and get some black sky shots. Since the options in this space are a dime a dozen, figure I'd crowdsource a reco for a cheap (<$50) camera well suited for this app that won't require a lot of mods and has worked well in high-g applications (looking at M3.5 range for max v). The one other time I've flown an onboard camera was in 2008, I bought a "spy cam" on Amazon and flew it in a 4" min dia, we rushed to fly it because the battery life was 90min from sealing the av bay-launch and the data file was corrupted due to the acceleration, so it was nothing but added stress and dead weight. Imagine the products have improved exponentially in the intervening 7 years.

Grateful for your input.

SH

A lot of people here fly the 808 #16 camera. It's small, has a reasonable enough battery life, and has proven to be capable enough in all the applications I've seen it used for. Now, if you're really trying to get up to near vacuum, you might need to keep the unit warm (handwarmer?), since it is really small, and doesn't have a lot of mass for keeping the battery from dying due to heat loss.

Back