Better than Top Flight Chutes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am quite happy with Top Flight. Their Crossfire line is very good stuff and a cut above the 'normal' chutes; the 6" rocket in my avatar photo carried a 36" TF Crossfire for the drogue and a 14' Rocketman for the main--both worked perfect. I have also had great luck with Spherachutes and Wildman Recon.

I have found over time that I appreciate quality chutes more and more each year.
This used to be an area I cut corners, but over time I noticed that most of my problems were chute related.
Now I like to get good ones and share them among my rockets.
One thing to keep in mind is that a high quality chute can work better and pack much smaller than an inexpensive one.
They are not cheap, but they are a joy to use.

Here's my chronological rocket recovery story. I am not the end-all-be-all of rocketry, but I've got a few flights under my belt.

-Early 90's: flew stock supplied parachutes 'cause I couldn't afford anything else. So, Loc and PML (mid power only at the time).

-Mid-Late 90's: started trying out Top Flight standard chutes in combination with stockers. Considered it to be a modest upgrade.

Late 90's-early 2000's: had a little more money to play with, so experimented with Skyangle, Rocketman, etc. (fancy chutes) a bit.

2000's: had a vast mixture of stock chutes, Top Flight (basic, standard), and fancy (Skyangle, RMan, LocAngle, etc.). Realized Top Flight Recovery can repair chutes for very modest prices. Ended up sending several "fancy" chutes in for repairs. Realized I was sending in all my fancy expensive chutes for repairs. Realized I was sending in none of my basic Top Flight chutes for repairs. Realized my stupidity in purchasing expensive chutes that were failing me when my Top Flight standards that I have been using since the early 90's were still serving me well without issue.

2010 and beyond: have integrated some Top Flight Crossfires into the lineup. As others have mentioned, they're wonderful. My fleet of chutes (9" to 144") are (nearly) all Top Flight standards and a few Crossfires. I have come full circle...it just took me several years and lots of money to get there. For those that fly with me, they know that my chutes open, rockets recovery safely, and that's pretty important to me.

Moral of the story: there are lots of options out there. Lots of great options in fact! Whoever you go with, please realize that more expensive, more elaborate are not always better. I have returned to Keep It Simple Stupid; a much more affordable option that has proven greater reliability than when I was into flying "fancy" chutes. You'll see the last of my "fancy" chutes in the Yard Sale soon! So in response to the thread title: Better than Top Flight Chutes, my honest response is that I spent a lot of years and money searching for just that, only to find that there are none better than Top Flight! Miki and Gary are great; and their products are too! Yep, I'm a fan boy!

I have a similar story for rocketry electronics, but I'll save that for another day.:wink:

-Eric-

Last edited:
+1 to that ^^^

Eric and I have been around roughly the same time frame and couldn't agree more. Electronics, yes another good one as well...

Preston

Here's my chronological rocket recovery story. I am not the end-all-be-all of rocketry, but I've got a few flights under my belt.

-Early 90's: flew stock supplied parachutes 'cause I couldn't afford anything else. So, Loc and PML (mid power only at the time).

-Mid-Late 90's: started trying out Top Flight standard chutes in combination with stockers. Considered it to be a modest upgrade.

Late 90's-early 2000's: had a little more money to play with, so experimented with Skyangle, Rocketman, etc. (fancy chutes) a bit.

2000's: had a vast mixture of stock chutes, Top Flight (basic, standard), and fancy (Skyangle, RMan, LocAngle, etc.). Realized Top Flight Recovery can repair chutes for very modest prices. Ended up sending several "fancy" chutes in for repairs. Realized I was sending in all my fancy expensive chutes for repairs. Realized I was sending in none of my basic Top Flight chutes for repairs. Realized my stupidity in purchasing expensive chutes that were failing me when my Top Flight standards that I have been using since the early 90's were still serving me well without issue.

2010 and beyond: have integrated some Top Flight Crossfires into the lineup. As others have mentioned, they're wonderful. My fleet of chutes (9" to 144") are (nearly) all Top Flight standards and a few Crossfires. I have come full circle...it just took me several years and lots of money to get there. For those that fly with me, they know that my chutes open, rockets recovery safely, and that's pretty important to me.

Moral of the story: there are lots of options out there. Lots of great options in fact! Whoever you go with, please realize that more expensive, more elaborate are not always better. I have returned to Keep It Simple Stupid; a much more affordable option that has proven greater reliability than when I was into flying "fancy" chutes. You'll see the last of my "fancy" chutes in the Yard Sale soon! So in response to the thread title: Better than Top Flight Chutes, my honest response is that I spent a lot of years and money searching for just that, only to find that there are none better than Top Flight! Miki and Gary are great; and their products are too! Yep, I'm a fan boy!

I have a similar story for rocketry electronics, but I'll save that for another day.:wink:

-Eric-

I've never used the Top Flight Crossfires so maybe I'll give those a shot.

It might be anecdotal evidence but I'd swear those Spherachutes grab more air than Top Flight (size=size).

+1 to Eric & Preston.

All around good quality, packs small and takes a lick'n and just keeps tick'n!

Yes there are other really good chutes out there and I too have used MANY different ones.
But look in my rockets and recovery box and 85% are Topflight.
By the way. Top flight makes other brands for re-label any many of Kit maker use TF stock chutes also!

I do love my Spherachutes..... I have 6 .....3 sky angle.....4 Recon [made by TF] but I have over 50 top flights of every shape, size imaginable.
And I have put some through the ringer. I have only destroyed 3 in 15 years, that being my fault. 2 cato's and I burned one up.

Last edited:
Hey, majordude ... is your user name inspired by the Steely Dan song? Just curious....

I have had many Top Flight chutes. Loved them all, and I put them in the kits that I made.

TA

Tee hee! Yes, my favorite band! "Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you my friend. Any minor world that breaks apart falls together again."

What this forum needs is a Steely Dan thread ! Were you in the high school band by any chance ? My buddies in the band were all up into that stuff. You know, suburban, middle class kids living the beatnik dream. Most vicariously, but a couple hitting the throttle a little hard, kinda like Fagen and Becker themselves. Great tunes but what the heck were they singing about ?!? :)

"When the demon is at your door
In the morning it won't be there no more"

Prettiest song about talking somebody down from whatever I can think of.

LOL.

All of their songs are are about drugs, druggies, lowlifes, outcasts... its funny because the songs sound upbeat and then you figure out the lyrics and it's quite entertaining. :p

I like top flight standards as excellent value for money. I like Spherachute and Top flight Crossfires as a step up from those "value" chutes for more expensive projects.

-Eric-

+1 I agree 100% you can't beat quality or price. I'm finding I really like the Topflight "X" chutes. They pack easy and the lines don't tangle as much.

Last edited:
Back