Looking for a V2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackball74

Reaction score
Are there any low-power kits currently available around the size of the Estes Maxi Brute?

Estes makes one (EST 3228). On sale for 19.99 at eRockets.

Are there any low-power kits currently available around the size of the Estes Maxi Brute?
No. The LOC PK-57 is the closest (4 in.) wood/paper kit, although not LPR. The rest are fiberglass in that size or above.

Last edited:
One of my long term projects is to make fiberglass molds of the Max Brute V-2 nose cone and tail cone and fin moldings and make fiberglass parts for my own use that are extremely light. Hoping for about 1/3 the weight of the stock Estes parts for the nose cone and tail cone. The fiberglass fins will not be all that much lighter than the vac formed plastic fins.

This weight reduction will bring a MB V-2 clone noticeably improved performance on 24mm D motors and even better performance on 24MM E and F motors. The Maxi Brute V-2 tail cone is amazingly heavy in stock form.

One of my long term projects is to make fiberglass molds of the Max Brute V-2 nose cone and tail cone and fin moldings and make fiberglass parts for my own use that are extremely light. Hoping for about 1/3 the weight of the stock Estes parts for the nose cone and tail cone. The fiberglass fins will not be all that much lighter than the vac formed plastic fins.

This weight reduction will bring a MB V-2 clone noticeably improved performance on 24mm D motors and even better performance on 24MM E and F motors. The Maxi Brute V-2 tail cone is amazingly heavy in stock form.

Interesting - will any of these components be available for purchase?

Even if they were slightly more heavy the details that the Maxi Brute V2 had would be nice to see on a 29 mm model.

FWIW, the Maxi-Brute V2 and Pershing flew poorly on a D12, and were prone to crash being so under powered. They really needed at least an E18 to fly well.

FWIW, the Maxi-Brute V2 and Pershing flew poorly on a D12, and were prone to crash being so under powered. They really needed at least an E18 to fly well.

Exactly the reason I want to do a much lighter version of the Maxi Brute V2.

Also the Madcow V2 is 2.6", matching the Maxi-Brute ...

The Estes Maxi V2 (#1267/#1952) used a 10.5 inch length of BT-101, approx. 3.9 inch outside diameter. The Madcow and the current Estes V2 kit (#3228) are BT-80 based with the 2.6 inch O.D.

Last edited:
The Estes Maxi V2 (#1267/#1952) used a 10.5 inch length of BT-101, approx. 3.9 inch outside diameter. The Madcow and the current Estes V2 kit (#3228) are BT-80 based with the 2.6 inch O.D.

My mistake...I did a quick search and found this review of the "Maxi Brute V2" which noted BT-80/2.6 inch body tube: https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-maxi-brute-v2-kevin-mclaughlin.html

How about a sport scale scratch using the Mega Der Red Max? It's 4" bt and made for F/G motors.

Here's one...files on F+, 4" diameter: https://www.polecat-aerospace.com/c...oduct_id=48#product-details-tab-specification

v2-4.png

• Specifications
    4" Diameter
    2’-8" Tall
    3 lbs
  • Motor Mount Size
    38mm, 54mm
  • Motor Size
    "F" through "K" impulse motors
  • Deployment
    Single
  • Included Features
    Fiberglassed Airframe, pre-slotted
    Fiberglass Nosecone
    Laser cut Baltic Birch Fins and Centering
    Rings
    Tough through the airframe fin construction
    9/16" Tubular Nylon recover cord
    1/4" Delrin Rail Buttons
    Necessary hardware
    Instructions
  • Recomended (not included)
    Motor retainer
    30" to 45" nylon main parachute
    12" chute protector

Also the Madcow V2 is 2.6", matching the Maxi-Brute and it is still LP since you can fly it on an F according to the Rocketry Warehouse website:
https://rocketrywarehouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=896
https://www.madcowrocketry.com/2-6-thin-wall-fiberglass-v2/

Sorry if this news is late, but Madcow had that one on special this past Friday. I have it from an earlier purchase and it's a very nice kit...includes a metal tip cone!

E and F and G motors are considered to be mid power and not low power. The OP did post in the LP forum.

As marginal as it was on a D, the Maxi Brute was and is the only game in town for a 4" diameter kit low power V2.

I have seen some decent if very low flights of Maxi Brute V2 models on D12. If the builder got heavy handed with the glue, added a lot of paint and primer and improved the rocket with a heavier fabric chute, etc, what little performance margin it had on a D12 under ideal conditions quickly went away.

It's biggest problem is not the size, but the weight.

Last edited:
E and F and G motors are considered to be mid power and not low power. The OP did post in the LP forum.

Sorry...I was posting after searching for "Recent" threads. I did earlier mention 13mm/18mm/24mm V2s as well. Also it seems tough to find a 4" rocket that flies off LP, so it seems many are listed as LP or 4".

What about...

That flies on I-M motors! :wink:

I know a vendor that has the Estes and LOC V2's with free shipping for Black Friday weekend

Back