Kerbal space program

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbecks

Reaction score
Does anyone here play Kerbal space program. It is a physics intensive rocket building and space travel game. check out the trailer

[video=youtube;7kTbo1wmN-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kTbo1wmN-w[/video]

I have not played it yet but have only heard good things about it. Check out other youtube videos about its physics and gameplay. If you are not into gaming but love rockets this is the game to get started on.

A GREAT game. Several on TRF people play it. Some previous threads here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?47704-Any-Fellow-Kerbonauts

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?70621-KSP

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?70790

Here is a "report" of a mission to Duna (Mars-like):

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...KSP-mission-to-quot-Mars-quot-(Duna)-and-back

- George Gassaway

ylzlsmF.jpg

LoFGwp9.jpg

rScdnxQ.jpg

jUlXLv9.jpg

Last edited:
I love that game. I'm decent at it. Can land on most moons and get probes on to the surface of anywhere. Haven't done any of the harder missions like landing a crew on Eve and returning. Sheesh, that atmosphere is soup!

Get the visual enhancement like Kerbal Renaissance Compilation. Makes the game so beautiful!

Mark
NAR#: 100890

That game is so much fun!!! I have gotten onto the Mun and Minmus, but that's the extent of my exploration. I'm trying to get the orbit rendezvous down. Just can't seem to get it. :p

I havnt even landed on the mun yet I'm really struggling at this game.

Haha I've landed on the mun... And by landed I mean crashed. And by crashed I mean run into. :p

My first few Mun landing attempts were high-speed Im-Splats. I kept beginning the landing burn too late to slow down enough. Took awhile.

After I was able to do landings, I switched to using MechJeb for that, as I had for flying into orbit. Because in real space programs nobody manually flies into orbit. Apollo used flight computers for launch, orbital maneuvers, rendezvous, and lunar descent/ascent. The astronauts "manually" flew the LM the last few hundred feet down to the surface, although it was an "auto" mode that was more computer-flown with the astronaut "nudging" the direction to go. True 100% manual lunar landings without computers would be known as the deadly Apollo program that never succeeded.

So, anyway, once you can learn do to things manually, I think it's fine to use MechJeb to help with the missions.

Below - Tom Beach made up a KSP version of the Little Joe-II. I used a copy, added landing legs, and put it on top of a big rocket so the Little Joe II could get into Munar orbit, land, and return to Kerbin.

- George Gassaway

4vMD4.jpg

I've been playing the game for a while. I love it. I got a satellite on polar orbits around the Mun, Minmus and Eve. A rover on Minmus and the Mun though the one on the Mun has damage wheels and a drill on the Mun. All my manned Mun missions end in disaster. My latest mission resulted in burn up on reentry to Kerbal. Still can do rendezvous with a station though.

Mike

KSP is, easily, one of the best games I've ever played.
I paid $23 for it and it's a bargain at $50.
Lots of plug ins and mods, good support community.
I guess a few people who work for the JPL also play this game.
If the people that do that stuff for real play the game, that's a good testament to the game!

I have been to the Mun and Minmus. I can't rendezvous without using MechJeb, though.

Going to the Mun never gets old. I love building Apollo-style missions with the lander in an interstage where I have to undock the CM, rotate, grab the LM, and then burn for the trans-munar injection.

My latest build had a rover in a small bay in the lunar module. Great fun. I put small probe cores in the rover and lunar module base, so they would never despawn as debris. I left a permanent monument up there. The rover lights shine on the flag and lunar module base for drama. :-D

Mark
NRA#: 100890

Interesting side note.
KSP 1.0 was released the same day a Russian Progress freighter was launched to the ISS. That Progress was the one that spun out of control and was lost.

When I installed KSP1.0 and used MechJeb (which hadn't been updated for KSP1.0) to do a rendezvous, my spacecraft would spin out of control JUST like the Progress did.

I thought it was an amusing coincidence...
OR was it? :D

I've played with it for a teeny tiny bit and all the further I've gotten is making rockets so fast they start to burn up before leaving the atmosphere.

I'm so afraid to even start this game...I wish I had more free time!

So was I.... I gave in, and couldn't stop. It's highly dangerous.

I've gotten Kerbals to the mun, minmus, and to Duna... but not back from Duna... just duna orbit. I've put a bunch of landers on Duna, and one on Eve. Recently, I got a lander on Dres, a miner on Minmus, and an orbiter to the Jool system. I've gotten rendezvous down, and I've got a nice station up there. The game is terribly addictive.

Nate

Last edited:
Duna is surprisingly easy to get off of. Just go in with alot of chutes to slow you through that thin atmosphere and save on fuel for a landing. Once down, use an ascender that stages off of the big landing stage with all those chutes. Dropping all that drag and weight will make lifting off through the thin atmosphere a cinch. I was terrified on my first manned Duna landing, but it went off without a hitch.

Build what you think will work and attach a small computer to do the maneuvering instead of risking a Kerbal the first time. I play with funds, though, so that's always pricey to do with minimal funds returns. But I like my Kerbals too much to risk them on an untested mission.

Mark
NAR#: 100890

I finally broke down and bought the full version. Just started getting into missions, contracts and all that good stuff. Started a science career and do all sorts of idiotic crap in sandbox mode.

Bye bye free time.

It really is a fantastic game, but don't neglect adding a couple mods. I highly recommend Kerbal Engineer Redux at the very least so that you can gauge the delta-v of a given stage. (it claims it's not compatible with the current version 1.2.1, but it works anyway. Use that plus a decent delta-v map of the kerbin system (like this one) and you can get anywhere!

Edit: Pardon me, wrong mod name.

Once you're really good, add on the plugin for real solar system dimensions and physics (atmospheric conditions, gravity, etc.). Much more realistic, and far more difficult!
-Ken

I highly recommend "Mechanical Jeb", which automates flying and landing.

Some do not like it and want to "Fly like Neil Armstrong".

But no astronaut ever flew (by hand) a launch vehicle into orbit, and none hand-flew the LM descent from orbit. Even when thy flew "Manual" the last few hundred feet down to the moon, it was a type of semi-manual more like automatic pilot that the astronaut manually interrupted to alter the projected landing location where they wanted to (if the projected location had problems like big rocks or the edge of a big crater, they could fly elsewhere). But if they were tilted say 10 degrees and let go of the stick, the LM guidance would correct to bring the LM to zero horizontal velocity and then point vertical so all that was needed was to reduce throttle to the right descent rate.

And "throttle" was not direct either. It was more like descend quicker (at say 10 ft/sec), descend slower (at say 3 ft/sec), or hover (descend at 0 ft/sec), rather than say reduce thrust by 5% which would cause an ever-increasing descent rate requiring a lot of throttle jockeying.

Anyway, for me what I've liked to do most in KSP is design and build the rockets, plan for things to do on missions, and fly those missions the way that "real" missions would be done. That said, I do think that when learning the game, everyone should hand-fly a rocket into orbit, to appreciate the difficulties and understand orbital dynamics better. But that is somewhat nerve-wracking and tedious to do for routine flying. Also, to hand-fly a landing on the Mun too (remembering to SAVE before de-orbit!), to experience the inevitable crashes due to starting the landing burn too late (high speed impact), or being too careful and beginning the landing burn too early so that it almost stops kilometers above the surface, wasting valuable fuel (likely running out). Or later timing the landing well, but taking a very long time in trying to actually soft land, hovering a few meters up but trying to kill the horizontal velocity, also risking running out of fuel. After those learning experiences, I think MechJeb is plenty fine and for me was more realistic.

Last edited:
If you are going to add mods, check out CKAN, which manages them all for you, and allows you to search and install from within itself. KER just got updated to 1.2.1 compat, but MechJeb hasnt been yet (you need to go to his drop box and get the latest DEV version)
I highly recommend Tantares (old mod) and CONTARES (new one), which do Kerbal versions of the Soviet/Russian, Euro, Japanese, Chinese, etc launch vehicles.

Great game! I hold on to every new copy I get.

Plenty of mods: DMP(Online Multiplayer), B9 Aerospace (Parts addon), KW rocketry(Ditto), Real-scale solar system(Duh), and so many more literally hundreds!
You could wait for Steam discounts, I have heard it getting discounted by up 30%.

I am on their forum as Skybird0.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com
https://spacedock.info/kerbal-space-program
https://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYu7z3I8tdEm5nyZU3a-O2ak6mBYXWPAL <<THIS will help new players get started a bit. A little old, though most of it applies still.

Game is a ton of fun. This plus SpaceX/Blue Origin being in the news, and watching the youtube channel Vintage Space all kind of got me interested in amateur rocketry. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw95T_TgbGHhTml4xZ9yIqg

I agree MechJeb is absolutely essential unless you have a firm grasp of orbital mechanics and are a halfway decent pilot. I can manage the ascent easily enough, and Hohmann transfers with some finagling, but landings on non-atmospheric worlds (where you can't use parachutes) and transfers out of sphere of influence (to Duna for instance) are just HARD. Also the rendevous planner - absolutely essential, even if you like docking manually.

I've landed on Mun and Minmus, made a Duna impacter probe, and did some deep space flybys of other planets.

Back