WMJ Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemisterbig

Reaction score
Hey, TRF

I figured it was about time I do another build thread as I haven't done one in a good while so I figured I would do one on my new WMJ kit from Wildman. I got the parts a few weeks ago but haven't had time to do anything with them because of school work, sports and stuff like that. When I received the parts, I noticed the same thing David McCann did - that most of the tube ends have a small tab on them from the cutting process. It isn't too much trouble to get rid of this with a bit of sanding but it is still rather irksome. I washed the parts and I will probably start sanding today and maybe start the motor mount tomorrow.

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

Last edited:
Well haven't been able to work on this rocket much lately but I finally stopped procrastinating and did some work on it. I got the Aeropack epoxied on with JB weld and I finished sanding all the centering rings for it. I also got a Loki 38/1200 case which I will probably not fly in this rocket but I may build a rocket specifically for that. I also got an Eggtimer Quark from Conman, and I must say, the build quality is exceptional and is what I have come to expect from Connor.

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

And this is what I've been up to lately for those who are wondering.

IMG_3544.jpg

N995JA and I. She is a 1974 Cessna 172M. She is so old that she only has 3 fuel sumps and her airspeed indicator is in MPH but she handle and flied beautifully.

IMG_3546.jpg

More updates coming this week :)

More progress on the rocket. The bottom centering ring has been glued on and I plan on doing the second one tomorrow. Everything else will also be done with JB Weld. I'm thinking 1/4" radius fillets but I though 1/2" would like nicer and provide a cleaner transition. Any advice on this? And has anyone used automotive clear coat on a rocket? Is it appreciably heavier than a store bought spray on clear coat?

Top CR in place with fillets on both sides.
IMG_3563.jpg

A bit of epoxy seeped out between the retainer and tube and prohibits the insertion of a case. I will have to sand or file this down.
IMG_3564.jpg

My planned electronics setup. From left to right: Stratologger SL100, Eggfinder GPS tracker and Eggtimer Quark. Not pictured is a Com-Spec RF tracker which I plan on using alongside the Eggfinder. It will likely be just taped to the shock cord to get the best possible signal and alleviate any risk of attenuation.
IMG_3562.jpg

Back