Flight Computer with GPS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFeller

Reaction score
I am looking for a flight computer for a new project. The rocket will be large (12") and stubby (10' long) and will be built by a team of middle school girls and myself.

I would really like to have a GPS unit so we can analyze the data, but it doesn't need telemetry and I don't have a HAM license. The only flight computer I've come across with integrated GPS is the TeleMetrus, but it requires a HAM license.

Is there another altimeter with built in GPS, or would I be better off with a separate flight computer and GPS unit? Any suggestions about either?

I have a fourteen year old G-Wiz that I plan to use as a backup.

I am very much a beginner when it comes to electronics, so feel free to dumb things down as much as possible! 😉

Big Red Bee offers a GPS tracker that does not require a ham license, but it is just a tracker. You would need a separate flight computer.

Depending on what data you require the eggfinder trs would possibly do all that you want plus a bit more. I have linked gps modules to 3dr radio sets before so that i could use a laptop on the ground to record all the gps data. Another option is an openlogger module linked to a gps module and a battery, only four connections need to be made for the system to work and it logs all data from the gps to a microsd card.

Keep your eye on Missileworks. They have an imminent release on a solution that would work perfectly for you. Their RRC3 altimeter is already one of the best options out there (GREAT altimeter in it's own right, but also excellent customer support, easy to use, good pricing, etc.). Add to that their soon to be released GPS tracking unit, which fully integrates with the RRC3, and you've got a winner. They've been beta-testing it for the last few months and by all accounts it looks like it's going to be really sweet - pretty much what we've all come to expect and experience from Missileworks.

Do a forum search for more discussion on this. I think you might find it will be exactly what you are looking for.

s6

Depending on what data you require the eggfinder trs would possibly do all that you want plus a bit more. I have linked gps modules to 3dr radio sets before so that i could use a laptop on the ground to record all the gps data. Another option is an openlogger module linked to a gps module and a battery, only four connections need to be made for the system to work and it logs all data from the gps to a microsd card.

You just answered a question that I was about to start a thread about! Thanks! (Off to Ebay to spend money)

The only flight computer I've come across with integrated GPS is the TeleMetrus, but it requires a HAM license.

You can disable the transmitter in TeleMetrum or TeleMega and fly without an amateur radio license.

The other thing to look out for is the ability of the GPS to accurately capture it's position during flight. Some GPS modules (like the ones from u-blox used in Altus Metrum and BigRedBee products) can be put into "flight"mode. Other will become "confused" and are unable to accurately track the rapidly changing altitudes associated with rocket flights.

Thanks for the replies! The Missileworks equipment does look like what I'm after - any word on the expected release date of the GPS unit?

I may look into getting a HAM license, but I think that the added equipment and complexity of telemetry has me on the fence.

The no license required GPS trackers out there in the 900Mhz ISM band will do a fine job for sport flying. I've done both and the 900 Mhz is perfectly fine to find the rocket for you. You can download the information once you recover it.
Real time data while flying is such a short time deal, it really isn't needed unless one expects to lose the rocket. Kurt Savegnago

Back