I am a lifetime member after contributing $100 so why am I besieged by adverts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That key is not activated unless you paid for a lifetime membership.

Bob, whut?
23012003202_1a3fb4f77e_o.png

Regardless of what people think, the web is not free and someone has to pay the costs associated of a website. The vast majority of websites used commercial advertising to cover the costs, or have users pay a subscription fee to remove ads. If you have Yahoo mail, you can opt out of the ads for a fee. The same holds true for a number of similar websites.

Bob

the web isn't free. I get that. But the total disregard the new owners have is plain to see. The only effort put into the forum anymore is in direct regard to profit generation. It wouldn't piss people off if they put any effort into content generation, supported launches, did you know...anything besides cash checks.

Last edited:
I have been with this forum about six years and I never gave thought about who the owners were. I was here before they began the little vendor ad's at the top of the page. I was not too active with this forum for a few years (only checking in once in a while) and did not even know that there was a new owner until a couple of months ago.

For myself, I don't really care if the owners provide content or support launches. What I do care about is a forum that works and if there is a problem there is someone to contact and the problem is fixed. What I care more about, is the content generated by it's users and the ability to find the content.

If there is advertising, then I have no interest in paying to see less ads. I don't submit very much in the way of build threads so having reduced posting ability is not a big deal to me.

I have no idea what is bothering people the most here. If it is the ad's, asking for subscriptions, or the functionality of the site. Or, maybe it is people getting tired of the same crowd, same questions, same answers. Maybe it is time for some to leave and let the new kids start getting their foothold in the forum.

What I would like to see is a name for the admin other than admin, administrator and something in the signature line.

Overall, I still like it here. I still find good content and good entertainment.

I hate when people resurrect year old threads like this and post to them.

There are so many easy ways to avoid seeing ads on this site, and none of them are to post about how much you dislike ads, or to tell everyone how horrible the owners are for the way they run the site.

I hate when people resurrect year old threads like this and post to them.

There are so many easy ways to avoid seeing ads on this site, and none of them are to post about how much you dislike ads, or to tell everyone how horrible the owners are for the way they run the site.

This thread started this month..... huh?

The ads don't bother me. And maybe all we need is a working place to be. But there was an obvious shift for the worse when Troj left.

When the site sold, someone named was around and said hello as owner. I forget who to be honest.

That key is not activated unless you paid for a lifetime membership.

Regardless of what people think, the web is not free and someone has to pay the costs associated of a website. The vast majority of websites used commercial advertising to cover the costs, or have users pay a subscription fee to remove ads. If you have Yahoo mail, you can opt out of the ads for a fee. The same holds true for a number of similar websites.

Bob

This blocking choice is available for the regular Supporting Membership also.

Regardless of paid memberships, adblockers, etc....there's nothing of the sort over at www.rocketryspot.com. Check it out!

Maybe someday there will be a banner ad reserved for rocketry companies wishing to draw interest, but that's a long ways off. I need support and content on the forum before it's worth asking vendors to participate.

I love the ads. This is America (mostly) after all. But if you pay for content you should have the option to eliminate the redundant funding mechanism.

It's fun redirecting youtube to pbs. Or Google to yahoo.
Oh the calls I use to get. *giggle*

I thought I would give credit where credit is due.

After posting to this thread, the forum tech support contacted me and performed some tests. After they performed their tests I can now log into the forum without a third party ad blocker as the forum block setting now works. Support said that they did nothing but log in as me and test and I did nothing different on my end, but I am not complaining.

The bottom line is, this experience has proven to me that the owners actually will support at least paid members, as in my case, and they provided me a solution.

Having read this thread and not having realised what "Lifetime Membership" is, I checked and found the following benefits:

-Less advertising.
-NO mobile advertising
-Unlimited private message space.
-Unlimited file attachment space.
-Unlimited gallery space.
-Larger Profile Picture dimensions and file size.
-The satisfaction that you are supporting a great community with a great cause.

So, I've been glancing at this thread from time to time....

Everyone is complaining about their advertisements.

One thing I noticed is the very first word of the first "perk".... LESS... Not NO, NONE, ZERO... but LESS.

NO mobile advertising -- if you're seeing adverts on your mobile device, ok, I'll give you guys that one, but I can't help but wonder if you are indeed seeing advertisements on the regular platform, albeit at a reduced pace....

Just saying... But hey -- the forum sponsors also need to get their advertisements out, so they should be able to have a presence also..

I thought I would give credit where credit is due.

After posting to this thread, the forum tech support contacted me and performed some tests. After they performed their tests I can now log into the forum without a third party ad blocker as the forum block setting now works. Support said that they did nothing but log in as me and test and I did nothing different on my end, but I am not complaining.

The bottom line is, this experience has proven to me that the owners actually will support at least paid members, as in my case, and they provided me a solution.

As always Michael,,
You are a stand up guy...
This is very nice of you to come out with
while the forum always seems to be getting beat up....

The rumors about you that we have been spreading will immediately,, or soon ,, they will stop,
or well slow down some,, well,, sort of ease off,, kind of,, well,,

awww forget it.....lol..

Teddy

Teddy

Back