Laminating balsa fins (papering fins part III)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
In reference to the two other threads about papering fins, Laminating in some way is a popular option.

We've discussed paper, and we've briefly discussed thin plywood & iron-on {shrinking} coverings

But what about a cloth type laminate? I'm thinking of the silk or glass type coverings we use on R/C planes & boats, with a [polyester] 'finishing' resin to adhere & smooth out the job.. We could use other types of cloth, such as Kevlar or carbon fiber, but they are more 'exotic' for a beginner!

"Pseudo-glassing" with pantyhose and polycrylic wood finish used to be a thing. The pantyhose naturally fits to a tube and I don't remember people discussing anything similar on fins. It wasn't anywhere near as strong as actual fiberglassing but it did make the tubes a lot tougher. And from experience, I found they are quite waterproof too!

You really don't want to use polyester resins. They present an inhalation hazard that does not exist with epoxy and offer no advantage over epoxy. For most folks, using paper reinforcement, especially Avery(R) type self-adhesive paper, is a simple, quick, and inexpensive way to strengthen stock balsa fins on sport model rockets, plus it saves a lot of time in sanding and sealing.

Bob

Back