Lookin' for a little advice on the Rocketarium Vortico # 1201 "copter" model kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk G

Reaction score
Rocketarium Vortico Odd-Roc Model Rocket Kit

I'm looking for someone who has built one of these things, or has some advice on the simple assembly of the 9 pieces (7 balsa).

I'm also considering painting it lightly for anti-camouflage purposes, and wonder what I can get away with.

We can PM if you prefer.

I have built quite a few of these in all of the available sizes.

For assembly, sand seal the parts before assembly, maybe even consider pre-painting the visible surfaces, as masking can be a pain. Make sure the joints for the blades are offset. I had a joint above a joint (for the bottom blades and the top half-blades) and it power shredded after 3 flights. Having a solid piece over the parts you have to glue together makes all the difference. While it does specify this in the instructions, it's easy to overlook.

Painting is fine. This is a tumble kit, and having a smooth surface can get you some of that extra spin, and thus, a better flight and recovery. But then again, I paint ALL of my rockets.

For advanced building, consider placing is on a rod or a propeller balancer if you have one, and balance it. I did that on my last batch and the performance went up tremendously.

Rocketarium Vortico Odd-Roc Model Rocket Kit

I'm looking for someone who has built one of these things, or has some advice on the simple assembly of the 9 pieces (7 balsa).

I'm also considering painting it lightly for anti-camouflage purposes, and wonder what I can get away with.

We can PM if you prefer.

Sorry...didn't see your posting earlier.

I've built all of the sizes too (like Wayne) and I like to fly them at each launch if possible (just launched the Mega Vortico yesterday). As Wayne noted, make sure the joints don't overlap in-line, however I think following the directions should avoid that. The motor is retained by masking tape...put enough around the motor itself til it fits into the motor tube snugly and isn't likely to push through (so the motor doesn't shoot through the rocket...I like to wrap another piece of tape over the sides and end after putting in the motor for extra insurance). The long part of the motor tube faces up...don't ask me how I know.

You can paint it and it may slow it down/lessen the altitude, but it wasn't anything I've noticed and I've put a LOT of paint on mine. Wayne is right...masking can be a pain; however I like to build, prime, fill, sand, paint my rockets in that order.

Pics of my Mega & Turbo Vortico paint jobs:
image-megavorticoside2jpg-300-600-034515164601169.jpg
image-megavorticoside1jpg-300-600-032215165601968.jpg
image-mega-vortico-2-300-600-081815204904377.jpg
image-mega-vortico-1-300-600-081915203204828.jpg

Few other things: Use a short launch rod of about 12" or use a clothes pin on a longer rod (up to a point) to act as a stop. Don't fly on windy days since it can quickly weathervane and then when it hits the ground spinning it can take off like a spinning wheel. These are real crowd pleasers...the sound of them flying off is fantastic (almost like a buzz bomb) and recovery is usually a nice close walk. I would also suggest getting the other sizes if you like the small Vortico...the Turbo is fantastic and flies nicely off the Estes F15-0 black powder motors.

Also of note is that they are made of light plywood and not balsa. Makes them somewhat tough little buggers when compared to squishy soft cardboard rockets. :)

Last edited:
Very nice. Saw Ken's Turbo fly last year, very impressive. By apogee it's really spinning fast. I have a video somewhere or other.

Thanks! I flew the Turbo twice last month and they were really great flights...zooming up and then a big fireball which the copter flew right through! Too bad my video was too blurry to see it...really awesome fun!

Last edited:
Day late - I painted the Turbo Vortico before assembly, and the Vortico after. The Vortico is my youngest's (age 6 at the time), and she helped tape and paint.

View attachment 279942

Great paint jobs! Especially considering your kid was 6...wow. Have fun and try an Estes F15-0* in the Turbo!

* (I bought mine with a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby...and no Hazmat too!)

Back