Estes Reflector - Huge Payload Section!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markg

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I started on an Estes 2422 Reflector today. I think Estes and I might have a difference of opinion as to what constitutes a 'Huge Payload Section!'

1-20151106_110426.jpg

Not enough room to even fit Spaceman Spiff the LEGO Astronaut in that ~ 1" payload section. I swapped it out with a larger section of BT-55 so Spaceman Spiff can have a ride.

This is my first rocket with balsa nosecone/transition pieces. I'm sure the sanding/finishing will be interesting.

cheers - mark

I started on an Estes 2422 Reflector today. I think Estes and I might have a difference of opinion as to what constitutes a 'Huge Payload Section!'

View attachment 275729

Not enough room to even fit Spaceman Spiff the LEGO Astronaut in that ~ 1" payload section. I swapped it out with a larger section of BT-55 so Spaceman Spiff can have a ride.
This is my first rocket with balsa nosecone/transition pieces. I'm sure the sanding/finishing will be interesting.

cheers - mark

I did a build and blog post on the "HUGE" Payload Section -
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2014/03/estes-reflector-build-part-3-payload.html

That's the evil thing about advertising. Terms that are opinions or relative are allowed to be used freely, since there is no standard of proof as to what makes something "huge." That's why competitors can each claim that their product is the sweetest, creamiest, toughest, most effective, etc.

Still, you would be hard-pressed to find that to be huge in any sense of the word. :cyclops:

It wasn't huge enough. I lengthened the payload bay to accomodate an altimeter.

or one simply build bigger :). payload section is 1.63" x 8"
Rex

wannabe6.jpg

Yes, I got one of these as well. I modded it to fit the Jolly Logic 3.

This Instructables shows how to modify the payload section of an Estes Reflector - in this case, to fit the guts of an 808 camera. You just cut a bit off the shoulders of the nose and transition - just enough to fit what you need, and still be able to snugly fit everything together.

Don't like her? What's wrong with her? She's beautiful, she's rich, she's got huge ... payload sections!

Back