Lighter weight HPR AV bay designs..?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I am just having one of my brain dead moments! If you pull on the Kevlar from the direction that the force would be expected, away from the AV bay on either end of the bay, then wouldn't the force pull the AV bulkhead off? I would of thought that a knot on either side of the AV bay bulkhead would prevent this, which of course would then be a bit of a hassle for opening the bay as well as hard to tie while keeping the AV bay tightly sealed, so generally a poor design.

Maybe a better explanation would help?

S6 or UhClem can answer more on this since mine was just an idea and theirs are actually executed. However at the time I thought of it, I figured any force on the cord would be similar to a force on a regular bay when the rod connects both ends anyway...force should be the same so you would use the same shear pins (or tape) to keep the AV bay from coming out of the nose at drogue deploy IMHO. Knot could be a "hassle", but it should be light (which is what we're going for here) and in my case I also noted "some means to seal the top (either another knot, some sort of clip or bolt lid into bay)" and UhClem's pic has the lid bolted on.

Just to clarify, my earlier "vision" is more along the lines of what David has shown in his link. :)

Back