Which one to buy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screaminhelo

Shade Tree Rocket Surgeon
Reaction score
So, I have never ventured beyond LPR flying and I have a chance to get either a MDRM or a Snarky practically for free from a friend.

The Snarky has a few build challenges and may just barely cross the line to MPR but I have wanted one since I first saw one. Nothing looks quite like it and it looks fast just sitting on the pad. As for the build, it is certainly not beyond my capabilities, it just involves some things that I haven't done before and little patience will keep me headed in the right direction.

The MDRM is almost a right of passage and is a sight to behold in its self. It also has plenty of room to add electronics in the future and is a more familiar build. I have loved my DRMs, they fly at most of my launches, and i would imagine that this would be just as reliable and tough as them.

It is hard to say which one I like better so I figured that I would see what you guys have to say.

the snarky might stay in production longer than the MDRM. engine wise you're looking at both ends of the mid power spectrum.
Rex

The fins on the mega are also a challenge the first time so be prepared and read up on it. Just get them both

The MDRM also has the advantage that it could be used for an L1 cert in the future. I am definitely leaning that way. Now I just have to be the early bird so that I have my choice of the two.

I just finished up the build portion on my MDRM today, (FIXIT epoxy clay fillets on the exterior fin root and foamed the interior fin root with PML two part foam).
Now comes the fun of priming, sanding, priming, sanding... and painting her up. Easy paint scheme though. Black and red with waterslide decals. My kind of painting!

She's a rugged looking piece of work thus far. And will look the part when she's all prettied up.

With this 4" diameter rocket, there's plenty of room to reach in and fillet the centering ring, install rail buttons (which I'd highly recommend since the launch lugs that are included ain't nothin' to write home about), and rig your recovery system. And heck, I haven't even considered doing anything extra with the nosecone yet. Plenty of room there as well for something like a tracker or such.

My 1.64" diameter 'Der Red Max' has been a perennial favorite on launch days.
And with the addition of the mini 'Der Red Max' I'll be painting up at the same time I'm painting 'Papa Der', I'll always have Something to fly, from 1/4A3's to I243s, depending on my flying conditions.
-----

So, I imagine you've probably guessed I'd say, "Go for the MDRM." But, I have a bit of a bias. And, I haven't built or seen a 'Snarky' fly.

As Rex said, you're looking at both ends of the MPR range here. The Snarky on the low end the MDRM on the upper.

If you're looking for "cool" and not concerned about what part of the MPR range, go with the Snarky!

If you are looking to start in MPR and start into RMS motors then I would say, go with the MDRM.

If you go with the Snarky you will be able to fly the Estes BP motors you are familiar with in LPR, although you should get the AT 24/40 RMS to really get out of BP motors into the composite MPR. The MDRM will force you into composite motors, either single use or AT 29/40-120 RMS.

After doing a little more research and bouncing it off of the advice given here, it looks like the Snarky may be the best choice. The MDRM looks like it would be an awesome low and slow but I would have more motor options available for the time being by going with the Snarky. It will still be a gateway dru...er rocket into mid power and I have a couple of airframes that I built with a 24mm mount so that I could stuff a 24/40 case into them one day.

The Snarky will be a fun build! Thanks for your input everyone!

Good to hear you've made your decision. And, your reasoning sounds watertight.

After looking a bit at the 'Snarky' I can see where one could be drawn in by the beauty of it.
If my build pile weren't already so deep, I could see myself trying to snatch one up myself.

Enjoy! :cheers:

I asked, largely, because I was torn between the two. They each have their own wow factor and would open up new building and flying experiences for me. An added benefit, the Snarky is similar to the AQM-34, which is a design that has been haunting me for a while. Maybe this will give me some ideas! I am looking forward to the build! I appreciate the input from you all.

The next step will be to make this something that can grow a little as I gain some experience by adding a small payload bay to house electronics 8n the future.

I've built both, very different animals, yet I like both. The MDRM is really an entry level high power bird, and a stock build can be launched on anything from a G40 through an I200.

The Snarky, a C11 through maybe an F24. Even an E9 will send it quite high.

The Snarky is more of a head turner at launches, as the MDRM is now quite common.

I've built both, very different animals, yet I like both. The MDRM is really an entry level high power bird, and a stock build can be launched on anything from a G40 through an I200.

The Snarky, a C11 through maybe an F24. Even an E9 will send it quite high.

The Snarky is more of a head turner at launches, as the MDRM is now quite common.

+1 - I have both as well and agree with everything Paul has noted. :)

I will add that the Snarky was a more challenging build to me and seemed a bit trickier to fly, so I wouldn't recommend it as a first "mid-power" build. I'd definitely recommend the MDRM as a first MP/HP. I've launched the Snarky once this year and the MDRM many times (my most frequent and reliable flier).

Good luck with the Snarky build and do let us know how it goes (or if you need any help/advice).

Laugh. Out. Loud.

Let the slippery slope into HPR begin...

The sad part about it is that I am already thinking about building it with a 29mm mount and making allowances for an avbay to be named later. A little future proofing is all, right?

I strongly suggest that you Do Not try a 29mm mount in the snarky. it uses very lightweight tubing. your biggest problem when building is to not crush them. 24mm is way more than enough motor for it.
Rex

There is a disturbance in the force. 13 replies and no one, I repeat, no one said get them both.

I strongly suggest that you Do Not try a 29mm mount in the snarky. it uses very lightweight tubing. your biggest problem when building is to not crush them. 24mm is way more than enough motor for it.
Rex

Well, even though my personality is one which would usually be driven to prove such advice wrong, I already was wondering about the thin wall tubing. Truth be known, I threw that out there to see what kind of response I got. Although there are a couple.of voices in my head screaming NOOOOOOOO!!!, I belive that I will be able to ignore them enough to follow your advice. I'll just have to save that idea for a future build.

I'm typically a put a big motor in everything guy, but even I wouldn't put a 29 mm in a Snarky. A 24 mm with an F12J sounds about perfect to me. The 24/40 case is in my opinion the most diverse/best value reload case of them all. Look into a Rocketarium 24 mm retainer if you want to fly reload cases in this, a motor hook is a great way to lose a case and dart the rocket.

I also think you made a good choice, but I may be one of the only people who doesn't really like the MDRM...and I built mine 29mm + 2x24mm with custom alma mater themed decals. Still just doesn't do it for me.

Good luck with your build, and remember pictures or it didn't happen.

Last edited:
Re; 29 vs 24mm
it is kind of like building a big bertha as a minimum dia. for a 38mm motor...it can be done but, by the time you finish adding nose weight your performance is less than if you went with a 29/40-120. that snarky has that airscoop will probably start to flutter if you push it too hard. the whole point of the snarky is show (which you lose once it goes out of sight). use something else for the screamer flights, trust me a bertha with a 24mm mount is a 'blink and you'll miss it' on an E20 :).
Rex

I agree with the others...Snarky doesn't seem ideal for a bigger motor than specified. Also note that winged rockets tend to be more unpredictable due bigger variations in building (a small fin offset or crooked by a few degrees isn't bad, but make it a wing and it becomes noticeable) and more susceptible to winds, so adding more power may worsen the situation. I'd also recommend figuring out the placement of rail guides before you're finished since it's heavy and seemed to be susceptible to rod whip (which winds can worsen).

The Snarky is a gateway to silly airplane rocket scratch builds that can be a pathway to the Dark Arts. If you are young and your future is bright I would stick to safe, sleek ,3FNC, big motors, electronics, cool motor retention, high gloss paint jobs and launching off the rail. There was a time as a wee BAR I could have bought the SHX or a decent AT kit. I bought the SHX and now I carry around a six foot, 1/2" stainless rod because they don't want it in the club trailer taking up valuable room for additional rails.

The Snarky is a gateway to silly airplane rocket scratch builds that can be a pathway to the Dark Arts. If you are young and your future is bright I would stick to safe, sleek ,3FNC, big motors, electronics, cool motor retention, high gloss paint jobs and launching off the rail. There was a time as a wee BAR I could have bought the SHX or a decent AT kit. I bought the SHX and now I carry around a six foot, 1/2" stainless rod because they don't want it in the club trailer taking up valuable room for additional rails.

I've got the SHX too...how does yours fly? Mine did a big arcing swoop over the heads of the audience on it's first launch (was a lot of gasps and wows) , but recovered fine. I'd guess it was rod whip since it's so long and it was a bit windy. I'm currently in the process of adding rail buttons to my winged fleet to rule that out before I try to trim leading edges and such to adjust flight characteristics. I added RBs to my Super Viper and it flew beautifully afterwards (first flight was also a bit "head-swoopy"). :)

I have never had a bad flight with my SHX - at least 15 so far, I will have to check the books for the actual number. Mine has square edges - I know that is just plain laziness! 6 foot stainless 1/4" rod, no or tiny wind on BP, only very little wind on composite (E15). A short rod - only in no wind. I use it as a school yard demonstrator in the right conditions on a D12-3 and it works great with the big chute and slow descent, the kids (and big kids) love it. I flew it once on an F 24 at the club and broke its' back during flight as it entered the coast phase, that was cool. With a flat stick, some rough sand paper and dribbling a lot of super thin super glue down the backside of the tubes it was good to go many more times. I have seen the Snarky go airplane on a composite flight, again a bit of nose weight and calmer conditions needed. The SHX loves the F12 BJ if you can find one. Not the most forgiving rockets to fly, but what airplane rocket is? They will give anyone a good baptism of fire and if you survive you can move up to the Lexjet, another Shrox design. I guess I have also seen a real good first flight Lexjet crash as well. I have never built a Lexjet or Snarky, just the SHX. They are light with fairly high quality components, teaching you to build light and build strong. What is with all that old school stuff? Again, you can fly a tough, safe, MDRM off the rail in even windy conditions on a kick booty motor. The ladies will love it and you will be a certified hero! Picking a Dark Arts Snarky over a MDRM; are you shoes on too tight? Is your head screwed on just right? Well, my shoes are loose and I have no idea about my head, but I tend to always intently watch those rare airplane rockets fly, unlike the umteenth MDRM. I watch the airplane rockets fly for safety reasons only. . . Yes, that is my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Is this where I admit to aspiring to, one day, scratch building a Firebee?

I have never had a bad flight with my SHX - at least 15 so far, I will have to check the books for the actual number. Mine has square edges - I know that is just plain laziness! 6 foot stainless 1/4" rod, no or tiny wind on BP, only very little wind on composite (E15). A short rod - only in no wind. I use it as a school yard demonstrator in the right conditions on a D12-3 and it works great with the big chute and slow descent, the kids (and big kids) love it. I flew it once on an F 24 at the club and broke its' back during flight as it entered the coast phase, that was cool. With a flat stick, some rough sand paper and dribbling a lot of super thin super glue down the backside of the tubes it was good to go many more times. I have seen the Snarky go airplane on a composite flight, again a bit of nose weight and calmer conditions needed. The SHX loves the F12 BJ if you can find one. Not the most forgiving rockets to fly, but what airplane rocket is? They will give anyone a good baptism of fire and if you survive you can move up to the Lexjet, another Shrox design. I guess I have also seen a real good first flight Lexjet crash as well. I have never built a Lexjet or Snarky, just the SHX. They are light with fairly high quality components, teaching you to build light and build strong. What is with all that old school stuff? Again, you can fly a tough, safe, MDRM off the rail in even windy conditions on a kick booty motor. The ladies will love it and you will be a certified hero! Picking a Dark Arts Snarky over a MDRM; are you shoes on too tight? Is your head screwed on just right? Well, my shoes are loose and I have no idea about my head, but I tend to always intently watch those rare airplane rockets fly, unlike the umteenth MDRM. I watch the airplane rockets fly for safety reasons only. . . Yes, that is my story and I'm stickin' to it!

LOL! That sounded like the battle cry of the rocket wing nuts! :wink:

I'm a wing nut...I have all those you've mentioned...I just launched the Lexxjet for the first time a month ago and it was the most beautiful flight I've ever done...too bad I didn't have any pics/video. Unfortunately for me, I have so many rockets of interest that I rarely get to fly any one rocket many times; however my winged fleet still stands ready to launch and I'm actively working on getting rail buttons on them to rule out any chance of rod whip. I agree with you...it's easy to slap a motor in an MDRM, blast off and land without worries (and I've done that several times), but it is special to build one of these winged wonders, have people "ooh"/"ahh"/"I've never seen that before!" as you carry it up and then everyone watches intently as you hold your breath (and cross your fingers) waiting for the blast off and flight. I can imagine kids watching it in awe and thinking "THAT'S COOL!" and going home remembering that for a long time.

I'll change my vote to Snarky now. :grin:

That is what is great about model rocketry, so many different things you can do and niches to explore. I always liked model rockets and I always liked old airplanes so why not combine them into something fun that would keep up my interest?

Always nice to get them on the rail, but on sometimes on the scratchers you just scratch your head trying to figure out how to even get a launch lug on.

That is what is great about model rocketry, so many different things you can do and niches to explore. I always liked model rockets and I always liked old airplanes so why not combine them into something fun that would keep up my interest?

Always nice to get them on the rail, but on sometimes on the scratchers you just scratch your head trying to figure out how to even get a launch lug on.

I agree with you on both! :)

Even for the non-scratchers, rbs can be tough. I recall looking at the Snarky the last time and trying to figure out how to do rail buttons. The fin going down the bottom of the tube kind of kills the usual location. I'll dig up Snarky and take another look. To clarify for others, these rocket planes often have launch lugs nestled where the tube meets the wing or inside of an air scoop. Can't really place a rail button in the same location.

Just show up with a heavy, stock built Mad Cow Bomarc and ask for the 1/4" rod.

Oh to have a nice wide, thick tube with plenty of recovery room and an unimpeded path for the rail. Nice symmetrical fins and motor at the bottom; a safe, proven design everyone knows will fly well. No stinking, performance robbing nose weight or silly, old fashioned launch lugs with the RSO watching closely for rod whip. You are sure we are still voting for the Snarky - right?

Latest posts

Back