Which one to buy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just show up with a heavy, stock built Mad Cow Bomarc and ask for the 1/4" rod.

Oh to have a nice wide, thick tube with plenty of recovery room and an unimpeded path for the rail. Nice symmetrical fins and motor at the bottom; a safe, proven design everyone knows will fly well. No stinking, performance robbing nose weight or silly, old fashioned launch lugs with the RSO watching closely for rod whip. You are sure we are still voting for the Snarky - right?

LOL! I have a MC Bomarc in primer (heavy beast) which I took along to the last launch, but never had time to fly. I used RBs though. :) I can't even imagine that on a rod at my fields, but maybe I should try it for the heck of it. The older wonky kits (ex. Estes Venus Probe, Mars Outlander) are hilarious in that they have small lugs and are so heavy you see it pulling down on the rod and swinging in any wind.

Still going with Snarky since I'm starting to read more and more about how MDRM is so common. I like being different. :grin:

Airplane rockets rule!

Agreed...I just got my L2 on one! :grin:
12208456_985510811491206_7979285908258159155_n.jpg

Last edited:
There is certainly a resemblance. The Firebee has been gnawing away at me ever since the thought of building one crossed my mind. I have a few things to learn before I give it a shot but if I have learned anything around here, there is a way to do it, as long as you are prepared to add a Buick in the nose cone.

Hopefully I will be able to pick up the Snarky tomorrow and my glacial build can begin in earnest.

Well, I picked up the Snarky today! I still haven't made it home yet but I'll have to start the eternal build thread this weekend.

The Snarky is a gateway to silly airplane rocket scratch builds that can be a pathway to the Dark Arts. If you are young and your future is bright I would stick to safe, sleek ,3FNC, big motors, electronics, cool motor retention, high gloss paint jobs and launching off the rail. There was a time as a wee BAR I could have bought the SHX or a decent AT kit. I bought the SHX and now I carry around a six foot, 1/2" stainless rod because they don't want it in the club trailer taking up valuable room for additional rails.

Young I am not but I still can't call my self old. The rumors that I test fired the rock are entirely unfounded. I test fired the sling which, while it does use a rock for a projectile, is an entirely different animal. And the first aircraft that I crewed was one of those hot new jobs with feathers.

Young or old, I seem destined for the dark side of flight, If it can't be done, I want to give it a shot.

Like the One Republic "Counting Stars."

Old, but I'm not that old
Young, but I'm not that bold
And I don't think the world is sold
I'm just doing what we're told

I feel something so right
By doing the wrong thing
I feel something so wrong
By doing the right thing
I couldn't lie, couldn't lie, couldn't lie
Everything that kills me makes me feel alive

Golly, I am so hip on this new music! Then my daughters would say "That is SO 2014!"

Back