Smaug Model Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddyisabar

Oddroc scum. Mindsimmer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If all those tractor motors don't light at the same time it will be the decimation of Smaug. At least he doesn't need a brick in the nose to fly. Hopefully all that lumba won't catch on fire, but it keeps the CP down the back side real nice. I have green cat eyes to glue on, maybe I can find some gold ones. Debating on paint, all gold or red on top with a gold belly? Will need to eliminate some clip traps for flight, but hopefully our RSO has become accustomed to canted tri-motor mounts up front with flexible segmented tails on the hind end. Maybe the prospect of launching a fire breathing monster who is well known or burning things to a crisp will be too much. Is it best to leave sleeping dragons lie?

Smaug 1.jpgSmaug 2.jpgSmaug 3.jpgSmaug 4.jpgSmaug 5.jpgSmaug 6.jpgSmaug 7.jpgSmaug 8.jpg

Last edited:
OMG...just OMG. This is the coolest!

Thanks. Old BT 70 tube, balsa transitions, FLis mount and cuttin lots of squish Hobby Lobby Balsa. The BT 60 neck is internally reinforced with left over 18mm yellow engine spacers with some 13mm tube crammed in. BT 70 body tube reinforced with internal CA soak. Head BT 70 tube reinforced with coupler.

Last edited:
And this one actually looks like it will work, unlike my ekranoplan.

I was thinking some round toothpicks for teeth up front. Guess I will have to make the early bird special at the Country Buffet! All kinds of ways to embellish these monster rockets. Hopefully Smaug will be happy and wag his tail on the way up. If not I may be scared straight, running back to the warm bosom of Rocsimable rockets.

The Pad Führer may run in fear of this beastie! Looks great, and definitely another Daddyisabar Original.

Nice Job! I hope flies as good as it looks. That'd be stunning!

Get Video! Please!

All The Best!
Jim

Last edited:
The Pad Führer may run in fear of this beastie! Looks great, and definitely another Daddyisabar Original.

He took at look at it last launch and seemed OK. Then I tried another 3 motor cluster on and old PSII kit bash rocket I had flown several times and for the first time a Q2G2 did not light. It smashed. . . no crashed. . . so I might be back on double secret probation.

Can't decide...Q2G2s or quickmatch (ie loooong pieces of pyrogen) for the ekranoplan.

Can't decide...Q2G2s or quickmatch (ie loooong pieces of pyrogen) for the ekranoplan.

At 13 motors I would use the best available technology for the ekranoplan. I just had my first Q2G2 failure but have lit eight before with no problem. No expense should be spared on ignition for the ekranoplan, it really is the only somewhat scary thing about that rocket.

I will probably opt for q2g2s and our Clusterbuck. I have great success with the quickmatch on 24mm motors but have failed on several 18mm's. Plus the widely spaced motors might be an issue.

You will need the long Q2G2's, hopefully they will be long enough to reach all the bits. Otherwise, lord have mercy, it is a massive clip whip!

Short igniters with added pigtails, harvested from the HPR pads! And maybe a clip whip thrown in too.

Check all translations with Hauptmann Kitty.....for he is....achten Sie auf die Grammatik-Polizei ...

He only speaks High German and will not listen to low and never Der Red Max sprecken. His motors use nasty hypergolic stoffs so I don't think he would be impressed with whoosh poppers. Hopefully the DRM talk didn't accidentally translate into something that would open a Stasi file on me!

Last edited:
Back