Smaug Model Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bard's black arrow = 2 x E9

Sorry to hear of his demise.

Thanks.

Mr. Bard and the good people of Laketown. Here is a sure fire way to get rid of your pesky fire breathing dragon problems. A new arrow powered by three canted E9 tractor motors! Just point, shoot and forget, Smaug will soon be history!:)

Did the have to hose you off afterward and give you some flip flops, shorts and a uc Santa Cruz banana slug t shirt to wear?
And you know uncle Marcellus will buy you a new oak bedroom set

That sucks sorry to hear that.im reserving the rest of my BP E9, D12 sorry an Art Applewhite saucers

How about putting the list in a stickie post under the propulsion forum.

Did the have to hose you off afterward and give you some flip flops, shorts and a uc Santa Cruz banana slug t shirt to wear?
And you know uncle Marcellus will buy you a new oak bedroom set

I was already dressed like a DORK at the launch. Yes, they should have spayed me down with the Indian pump but there was no actual fire. Smaug ejected only one motor right in front of the pad, so just some black soot on the gravel and grass. I could get some free stuff from Uncle Estes but what is the point. Smaug was an irreplaceable gift from our long departed friend JR Tolkien, so it would take more than oak, maybe carbon fiber with an aluminum tip and fin can? We don't want any Bonnie incidents! Guess I should have just gone and got breakfast at that place where Honey Bunny hangs out!:)

"It's cool, Honey Bunny, we're still cool."

Where is this list? I had an E12 go over the weekend, I think that the code was 8-18-11, but I'll have to double check that.

Over in this CATO thread, post #45

A sticky thread might be good. I've been pondering (a little) how to structure something like the Newton-Tally-Thread to provide an option for people to log CATOs.

In the "3 CATOs in a day" thread, you'll see that I trolled rocketreviews.com for data. If that entry form had a place to log the lot number(s) and a checkbox for CATO, then it would collect data -and- make it more searchable. It would have the benefit of potentially collecting lot numbers for -good- flights. Only logging the CATOs gathers useful - but incomplete - info. It gives one a skewed perspective.

The problem is that you just don't know what it could be that makes two blow out of a pack of three. Manufacturing - bonding or too much oxidizer in the BP mix? Cracks caused in rough handling or temperatures in transit/storage?

I wondered that myself. I'd just purchased the pack from a field vendor, and had it in my hands for less than 15 minutes before the CATO occurred, so I'm not likely to trust the other two. Anyway, I don't want to sidebar Smaug's tale (tail?) any further, perhaps this should be continued in whatever stickied thread is appropriate...

With some BT 70 Smaug will fly again. The fin can is still good! Nose cone, chute are good and with some work I can even save the Flis motor mount. Just like the Alien storekeeper in the movie Men In Black, Smaug will regrow his head.

Smaug will succumb to no less than Bard the Bowman himself!

Thanks. With a retro rocket recovery like the Backdraft kit, fire could come out the front side as well. But what would the RSO think?

I can't believe that they let my Backdraft fly at Naram. Twice, with two RSOs. However, I thought that I might be ejected after the 2nd flight came down in the contest recovery area. :eek:

Back