Rocketry Warehouse Mongoose 54 build thread by CW

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only is it cheaper, but it's also smaller and lighter than the Aeropac retainer.

Yeah, but the Aeropack is a cool purple!

(Actually maybe they are red--but who knows, you can't see 'em).

Last edited:
Yeah, but the Aeropack is a cool purple!

Not that you could tell when it's being used, but knowing you, how about a purple sharpie? It's all in the details, right? It's looking good this week, we have beat down the workload in the office finally, so I plan to get in the rocket room today and work on my Mongoose as soon as I finish fooling around on this forum. I will post a link to my build thread SOON....​

I saw that. Since the Mongoose 54 uses 54mm thin wall CF tubing, is it's OD the same as the FG thin wall? Trying to figure out which of the two 54mm fly Away guides to get?

I would assume so, though I don't have a sample to test. Another thing you can do is get a thick wall set and shim them by placing a rubber band lengthwise around each half - that's what Crazy Jim does.

I would assume so, though I don't have a sample to test. Another thing you can do is get a thick wall set and shim them by placing a rubber band lengthwise around each half - that's what Crazy Jim does.
I called AMW earlier and they said the TW set would fit the 54mm TW CF Mongoose tubing. So that's what I ordered... ;) If there's a problem with the fit I'm sure AMW will make it right when I see them at a MDRA launch.

We flew a 38 minimum [long rocket] with a set of standards over the weekend.
As always I run a rubber band vertically on one side of the fly-aways.
This "rubber" not only makes them fit perfectly but also "grabs" the airframe, so it cannot slip during thrust and hit fins or scratch paint.

It really is the way to go, for solving one size fits all. You can always add a second rubber-band vertically to the other half of the FA's if using a tube that is sub-standard diameter.

I have been able to use the "standard" size guides on everything so far. Keeps things simple, no need worrying which guide fits what.
One size fits all.

By the way ......they functioned "perfectly" in 2 flights. Gotta love 'em putting buttons on a minimum or bringing towers are a pain!
Thanks Bill, for coming up with such an innovative solution, to an age old problem. [and it works....lol]

I got another part today. 3 inch aluminum threaded couplers nuts. I plant to use them to connect all thread threaded rods for the retention.

Back