Red, White, Blue & Sparky - a planning thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

75Grandville

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is more than a placeholder, but not yet a build thread. I picked up a LOC Ultimate from Countyline's birthday sale, and started thinking about possibilities. One thing led to another, and then I thought of the current title. Some mix of red, white, blue and sparky motors (I've got 7 x 29mm motor mounts), some possible air starts, all to fly at UROC's Hellfire XXI next summer.

General thoughts:

• After reading about airstart safety, any airstarts will be controlled using RRC3s with time and altitude settings
  • Currently have my heart set on a central I200, the rest will likely be CTI since I am more confident of lighting them simultaneously
  • Thinking about laminating at least the tube. I figure a CF sleeve would look cool, and there would be some structural rigidity added. Just don't have a vaccuum setup to bag a tip-to-tip.
  • Just got my L2, so I don't think I can max out allowed Newtons using 7 x 29mm motors, although I haven't done the math yet.
  • Also haven't simmed against the 25000 AGL ceiling, yet:)

Thoughts, tips, experiences etc always welcome. Constructive criticism somewhat welcome. Flamers and trolls invited to play in traffic.

I'm watching with interest to see where this goes. And I'd love to make it to Hellfire next season to see it fly!

I've also done something similar/related - you can read about it here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?70057-s6-s-latest-Swarmprince-4-way-cluster

Alas, Swarmprince is dead now, but I do have plans to resurrect/rebuild this winter. If all goes well, perhaps we can fly them "together" on the salt flats next July?

s6

I've also done some other rockets that involve clusters with some motors airstarting for a "sort of multi-stage" type flight. Including one that I flew for my L1 cert at a previous Hellfire (although for that flight I flew on a single motor). I can't post any details at the moment (posting at work, eeek!), but I'll try to do more later.

s6

Added two 6gr XL cases this week, with closures. Picked them up from Angelo at Sunward while in Toronto on business. Turns out that the company I work for has a facility about 20 minutes away from CTI. Who knew? Maybe I can arrange to drop in the next time I get up there.

Angelo was a tad curious why someone from Utah was shopping from Sunward and planning to pick up in person...

Four down, three to go! Probably one more XL, and two more regular.

Good luck with this project!
I just got the Loc Ultimate kit from Wildman, but have converted it to a single 38mm motor mount & DD. Boooo! Oh well, no "Ultimate" for me.
I will mail you my CR's(free) if you want. Stack 'em for the 1/4" thick upgrade. I hate to see them go to waste.

Happy to do so! Will PM you off line.

Have you thought about making a removable fin can, so you could swap motor configurations? Thinking about doing so, with the alternative as a triple 38mm mount. Just because I can.

Of course, this is _so_ far back in the build pile. Maybe time to bring it to the front!

Mine is already built. Three of the fin slots didn't quite line up to a fin guide, probably due to the 7 x 29mm tubes and that's just the way it had to be.....don't know, but I adjusted the 3 slots. The fins actually penetrate the AF an additional .270" and stop against a short 3" dia section of AF w/CR's, epoxied to the 38mm motor tube. My version of a tube w/in a tube fin attachment...?
I shortened the lower AF & gave it longer upper section, but maintained the stock kit length of about 58". Gave the aft section some additional weight for stability, built a short 6" long AV bay(no sw band). This will be my Jolly Logic Chute Release tester!

Back