Most and least favorite building tasks?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I really don't enjoy filling spirals, nosirree. But I can't bear the thought of having visible grooves, so I grit my teeth and do it (although somehow I survived back before I had even heard of this step). I hate applying the CWF tube and sanding it off, equally. Perhaps I should try Bondo sometimes and see if it's less odious.

I also dread any form of wet sanding, because I always feel like I'm doing it wrong, and I usually run out of patience mid-way through the job. I try to simply avoid it whenever possible, even if it means having a less than perfect paint finish.

On the other hand, I absolutely relish any step involving glue. Whenever I'm attaching stuff together I feel like I'm "building". The high point of any build for me is always attaching fins to body. That is probably at least partially why I'm uninterested in simple 3FNC or 4FNC kits: not enough gluing.

You?

Least: Sanding a F'd up paint job off (only to have to do it again).

Last edited:
Least fave: anything involving sanding.

Most fave: I think ... building the AV bay.

Sorting, test fitting, building, filleting, sanding, priming, sanding, priming, sanding... = Love it all.
Though filleting would probably be on the top of my list on favorites.

Applying final paint scheme and finishing coat = Hate it.
I guess I'm just not that much of and artist.

LPR fillets with Titebond M&T are easy and fun. :) I'm guessing you're talking bigger stuff, with epoxy and such...

Yup

I can get the main fillet OK, I just can't seem to get the tip of the fin "just right". That and I am challenges with making sure all the fillets are the same size.

I really don't enjoy filling spirals, nosirree. But I can't bear the thought of having visible grooves, so I grit my teeth and do it (although somehow I survived back before I had even heard of this step). I hate applying the CWF tube and sanding it off, equally. Perhaps I should try Bondo sometimes and see if it's less odious.

I also dread any form of wet sanding, because I always feel like I'm doing it wrong, and I usually run out of patience mid-way through the job. I try to simply avoid it whenever possible, even if it means having a less than perfect paint finish.

On the other hand, I absolutely relish any step involving glue. Whenever I'm attaching stuff together I feel like I'm "building". The high point of any build for me is always attaching fins to body. That is probably at least partially why I'm uninterested in simple 3FNC or 4FNC kits: not enough gluing.

You?

Bondo works well for tubes, but I always smear too much on. I can't figure out why they just don't make a tube with a smaller #$! opening (or why someone hasn't figured out a way to seal the seams in the factory).

Finishing fins absolutely drives me nuts. I've given up on sanding sealer - I just don't have the touch. Last build I sanded well, spread generous coats and eyeballed everything before laying on the paint and it still looked like I didn't prep them. Next time I'm trying either wood filler or papering.

I do enjoy glueing everything up, too, and dig sanding fins as well - a little construction, a little woodworking.

I hate looking for things and not being able to find them because it is such as mess and the eyes and mind are getting old. Now gosh dern it I know I bought a package of screw eyes a few years ago, where are they? If I were a package of screw eyes where would I hide? Then two weeks later, having bought another package, you open the that drawer upstairs and there are two packages of screw eyes on top.

I hate looking for things and not being able to find them because it is such as mess and the eyes and mind are getting old. Now gosh dern it I know I bought a package of screw eyes a few years ago, where are they? If I were a package of screw eyes where would I hide? Then two weeks later, having bought another package, you open the that drawer upstairs and there are two packages of screw eyes on top.

+1 - I was actually going to note the same! Also I hate the :facepalm: moment where you just realized you glued something wrong. I'll make it a trio and say fixing flight damage...for some reason I hate tending to broken fins, etc.

Most favorite: I like finishing and seeing the rocket nice and pretty (before it gets a broken fin/etc. and left in a box for months before I fix it). :wink:

I like doing all phases of building. From designing how it all fits together, to assembly, to finishing. You have to learn to love sanding sealer and break out the big bucks on a can of Duplicolor lacquer primer. There's the hard way, there's the easy way, and there's my way.....

You?

Adding to my earlier post, I hate filling spirals, but since I learned about filling them, I hate the grooves, too. I absolutely dread filling the spirals on a big PSII kit, like the Argent or Partizon.

It doesn't bother me as much to put CWF on fins and nosecones, but I usually give up after 2 or 3 coats, sanding between them, because I've got a life to live and I don't want to spend it all sanding and filling. I build a lot of 10 foot models.

"Building rockets" is really just a euphemism for "sanding rockets". That's where 80% of the time goes, anyway.

I don't mind refinishing bumps, nicks, scratches, etc. but I hate structural repairs. Guess that's why I build my rockets fairly "stout."

Hate: primer/sanding cycles

Like: Figuring out how to build it (layout, materials, weight considerations)

Most stressful: cutting and slotting a NC to make a boat tail

My favorite parts are everything- design, build, sand, paint, finish... my least favorite is seeing that first scratch before I make it to the pad.

For me, the best part is dreaming up the design. everything I do is way outside of the norm. I go to bed and think about the design and how I solve problems before I start the build. The builds are torture for me. Slow and laborious, I wish I had a build team to take care of that part of the project. I look forward to the final paint.

Bondo works well for tubes, but I always smear too much on. I can't figure out why they just don't make a tube with a smaller #$! opening (or why someone hasn't figured out a way to seal the seams in the factory).

Do you have an official Bondo spreader? I say that half in jest, but the flat edge makes application really quite easy. Apply a dab, run the flat edge around the tube and it spreads into the void. Another dab, repeat. Plus, if there are any indentations in the tube, those get filled as well. I use West System epoxy with fairing compound (microballoons), but only because I use West for my scratch tubes and plate - but I use the Bondo spreaders to get things smooth.

My issue is scratch building nose cones, primarily because I don't have a lathe. Inevitably the tip isn't centered, so you sand, fill, and fair until it is - then fill and fair until the nose cone is symmetrical, then fill and fair until the nose cone is fair. Hopefully, by the end of it, the primer shows the quality of your work... which is pristine... ;) If not... more fill and fair...

Back