Electronics In A Model Rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziminar

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm starting to look at various options for putting some electronics in future builds. I'm wondering a bit about how to mount them? For example do they need to go in the nose cone to still allow a normal recovery system to deploy or can you do something like put them in the middle of the tube with "channels" cut around the electrics to allow the ejection charge gas to flow past the electrics and push the chute and nose cone out/off as normal?

Both! There are about a billion avbay and payload configurations out there. This is something I myself like to toy with, and try new techniques in most of my builds. Let your ideas run wild and report back when you have results!

Nice one thanks for the fast reply mate :) I like the idea of putting it in the middle as close to CG as I can get. I'm currently torn between something like a Pi compute module with wires just soldered on or an arduninio nano. Any idea's on what kind of heat resistance the assembly would need? Eg would something like styrofoam wrapped in foil be good enough?

For most moderate rockets you don't need to worry about heat transfer.

All you need is a rocket with a payload section....

starload.jpg

Fliskits StarLoad Payload Model Rocket for example.

Put the electronics in the payload section and you are set to go. The payload compartment is simply a big nosecone.......:wink:

Bob

Like Bob said, any payload rocket could do... Me, I'm a fan of cloning rockets (and redshifting them), and would go for the Estes Magnum Payloader (#2032). Two stages of high flying fun, and it looks even better than my sims (below):

16552852439_4fe446d7b3_c.jpg

16713346006_2c966058f2_c.jpg

those look pretty cool guys :) Seeing how the vagabond I'm working on just now has a 40mm tube I'm starting to think of putting a cheapo setup into it to get some practice. I've managed to pickup a ardunio nano and some sensors for about £15 which I thought was pretty good and should be under 10g excluding the battery. What's a good way to attach them into the center of the tube so they don't move during flight but so I can still take them back out at the end of the flight to retrieve the memory card?

Back