Level 2?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Oddity

Reaction score
A request to UK rocketry people.

I've been searching for example papers covering the L2 certification written test.
I've found two, one on the UKRA site but would like to see a couple of more recent papers.

Can anyone advise as to where I might find some?

In short I'd like to know what I might be tested on in 2016.
Range distances, impulse calculations, stability, etc. I'm ok with, UK explosive license regs however I need to learn. Is there anything else?
My aim is to gain a level 2. I've got the scratch rocket, design and components that will work (I hope). I also hope (big question here) I have a brain that will contend with the written test. I just need to know the scope and depth of the test. Also how the test is administered!

Written exams and me are not easy "partners". I did all those in my teens and early twenties. Thank goodness I didn't need to pass a written exam when I took my driving test. If I had, I'd probably still be driving around on a bicycle.

In short I don't want to become an RSO, I just want to practically know how to get a level 2.

If I can be completely blunt, on my first visit To EARS I saw Ben Jarvis fly something spectacular and decided I want to do that! I think it was a J or a K. That's my objective, after which I'll graciously retire and you'll be rid of my questions.

Maybe there's a lesson there? If that can inspire some one of my age, think what it can do for new entrants to the "hobby"?

Any help with advice on the process and example papers will be appreciated.

SO.

Hi SO.

The L2 is a multiple choice test. Honestly, it is not difficult once you've absorbed the study guide and understood/researched why each answer is as it is. The exam papers have not changed. There are two, an A and a B. You get to do one of either.
Hint, reading and remembering the safety code is a good idea.

The document on these two website pages are all you need.

https://www.ukra.org.uk/l2cert
https://www.ukra.org.uk/safetycode

I look forward to seeing your spectacular launch at EARS :)

Best

Andy

Last edited:
Thanks all,

Very helpful.

Simon, the link you posted is the one that gave me the "Halloween shakes". I passed it third time round. A lot of reading and revision over the next few months. Plus a visit to my local police station for an explosives licence, I think.

All the best,

SO.

Back