Hump Day Happy Hour Mongoose 54

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious if anyone is going with a Slimline retainer on theirs. I kind of like the idea of being able to use smaller diameter motors with this light-weight rocket. I understand the extra drag, but I'm not looking for extreme altitudes. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Michael

I am. Have one on order. I too am not into extreme performance. It's still gonna go fast & high! I put one on my 38mm Blackhawk & really like it! Motor change out is a breeze!

This is one of the most interesting and best threads I have read. Superb ideas on MD. Thanks to all the contributors. AND I HATE THE COMMENTS, well if you need to ask, you probably shouldn't..............

Wayco, I bought a kit as well, and I would love to see your build thread of this kit.

I'm curious if anyone is going with a Slimline retainer on theirs. I kind of like the idea of being able to use smaller diameter motors with this light-weight rocket. I understand the extra drag, but I'm not looking for extreme altitudes. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Michael

Michael,

This is what i did with my first build. It sims to 8100 feet naked. It flew to 7600 with a 2 grain 54 mm J with a slimline retainer.

I am going to fly mine with a slimline. The drag is not that big of an issue for me.

Michael,

This is what i did with my first build. It sims to 8100 feet naked. It flew to 7600 with a 2 grain 54 mm J with a slimline retainer.

I am going to fly mine with a slimline. The drag is not that big of an issue for me.

I am. Have one on order. I too am not into extreme performance. It's still gonna go fast & high! I put one on my 38mm Blackhawk & really like it! Motor change out is a breeze!

Thank you Tim and Chuck. It' s reassuring to hear that I am not the only one with this plan. I wanted this kit so that I could put it as high as I wanted and still be able to fly a good sized rocket economically. It seems like it would be really versatile in this configuration.

Cheers,
Michael

Yeah,

It is indeed good stuff. I recommend it. It's just a hair notch below Cotronics 4525IP (or B) of which I've also used but costs an arm and a leg to buy and
has a limited shelf life. Kurt Savegnago

I'd imagine that this is a similar beast, just less is known about it. Cotronics is an industrial epoxy with very well known properties, while this is a hobby epoxy with unknown properties. If your process relies on repeatable outcomes, you pay for the properties that Cotronics offers. In the case of the Proline, no one will ever come back and say "you said 500F, but it broke down at 473F and caused me a lot of warranty claims or wasted inventory." It works fine for fillets on a rocket that doesn't go that fast, for sure.

"You get what you pay for."

I'd imagine that this is a similar beast, just less is known about it. Cotronics is an industrial epoxy with very well known properties, while this is a hobby epoxy with unknown properties. If your process relies on repeatable outcomes, you pay for the properties that Cotronics offers. In the case of the Proline, no one will ever come back and say "you said 500F, but it broke down at 473F and caused me a lot of warranty claims or wasted inventory." It works fine for fillets on a rocket that doesn't go that fast, for sure.

"You get what you pay for."

That is exactly true Dan. If one is going to need the 500F performance it would behoove them to pay for the documented product.............. But, the Proline 4500 is pretty darned good and is about the best a sport flier could buy. Now do they
really "need" it for sport flying? That's the question a particular user would have to answer for themself. Kurt

You won't fit the new 54/4000 Loki case in there, (darn) but if you're gonna fly EX, you could go bigger.

For me, the challenging part is the 54mm size and keeping it in perspective and not overbuild. :D The Loki 4000 case was thought of (with mods to the kit). Had a friend fly a Loki 4000/L MD at Balls with nice results. Decisions - oh bother...

Maybe you can still fly the Loki 4000 even if you build it stock length. Assuming you make the MD retainer removable, couldn't you just get an extra 12-16" section of CF tubing to extend the booster? The Loki 4000 case is 43.75" long, so it would have 3.75" of overhang from the fore end of the booster. This excess is now your coupler. The short section of airframe is held to the booster by the MD retainer which is now mounted in the small tube. The motor case acts as a really big rod holding the two tubes together. For them to seperate the case would have to burst.

There may be a fatal flaw I'm missing here, and as I may do this down the road, someone please point it out if you see it.

Maybe you can still fly the Loki 4000 even if you build it stock length. Assuming you make the MD retainer removable, couldn't you just get an extra 12-16" section of CF tubing to extend the booster? The Loki 4000 case is 43.75" long, so it would have 3.75" of overhang from the fore end of the booster. This excess is now your coupler. The short section of airframe is held to the booster by the MD retainer which is now mounted in the small tube. The motor case acts as a really big rod holding the two tubes together. For them to seperate the case would have to burst.

There may be a fatal flaw I'm missing here, and as I may do this down the road, someone please point it out if you see it.

Hmmmmm, My old "Wildman Stretch" with the 58" sustainer tube might fit that motor:

WM3.jpg

Only problem is I'd have to be safe and add a second altimeter, get a new nosecone and stuff the tracker in there and find a place with a tall enough waiver to fly. Nearly touched 10k on
an L1400. Only have a 15k waiver where I fly. Flew nice and straight too.

When I built it, the altimeters were larger and I couldn't fit the two I planned. The ebay is 10" long too. Only fit the tracker and the MAWD. If an ebay is too long, it's hard to "get at"
the stuff to wire it up. Thank heavens for the smaller electronics available now. Kurt Savgnago

Latest posts

Back