Falcon 9 rocket on SpaceX website

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crooksz_Rocketz

Reaction score
It looks like the same one I bought 6 months ago (but haven't had time to put together). it's a D/E engine rocket, appears to be well designed. I was planning on using it for the base of a Falcon Heavy model...

The website must not have been updated from when they were offering an earlier version of the Falcon9. Where did you find it is by Estes? I didn't notice that on the 18mm version.

The website must not have been updated from when they were offering an earlier version of the Falcon9. Where did you find it is by Estes? I didn't notice that on the 18mm version.

I mis-spoke, It's not mfr'd by Estes. Not sure why I had said that. Looks like a fun rocket though!

There have been two versions - Falcon 9 version 1 with the Dragon atop it - 18mm mount, then the Falcon 9 Version 1.1 with the big payload fairing and 24mm mount. The parachute and the motor hook (among other parts) tell me that they come from the same place as modelrockets.us kits.

Good flyers and the clear snap-in fins make them look good in flight while still being quite stable enough.

Saw one at a local launch a couple months ago, it was cool and unique.

Here's the 95% complete product, took about 2 hours to complete. The body comes pre-wrapped with graphics. The top fairing section could probably use a little spiral filling. Also I took the photo before I attached the felt/foam landing legs, which just get CA'd (or use the self adhesive backing which it comes with) to the body of the rocket near the tail.

I heard that the previous image was broken, so I'm attempting to re-post.... Also, I flew this rocket on an E9-6 at MDRA ESL 210 and it flew OK. Thrust to weight ratio was maybe a little low as the rocket arc'd off the launch rod, but delay was just about perfect. Chute deployed perfectly and no damage at all on recovery. Make sure you cram some dog barf down into the body tube through the plastic tube-fairing transition piece (you will see what I mean when you build one).
falcon9 spacex.jpg

CrazyOB,

Yes, I flew it on an E9-6 at MDRA 2010. I wanted to fly it on an Aerotech F24 but I did not have the proper igniter that day! E9 is a little low thrust for this bird, next time I would say use at least E12 or a CTI or Aerotech 24mm E or F. All else on the flight was nominal, the chute worked great, with a little dog barf down the main body tube and I had no singes on the shock cord, chute or shroud lines at all.

T.J.

I wonder why they didn't put landing legs across the leading edge of the clear fins? Seem like that would be a great custom addition I'll try if I get one of these someday.

I wonder why they didn't put landing legs across the leading edge of the clear fins? Seem like that would be a great custom addition I'll try if I get one of these someday.

Here is a photo of my completed rocket with a close-up of the landing legs. They are provided in the kit as foam cut-outs with adhesive backing that the instructions so to apply between fins, as I did. I do like your idea of putting them out on the fins though. Maybe you could paint the fins to look like landing legs?

spacex falcon9 landinglegs.jpg

Not sure how I got the rocket to glow in this photo - SpaceX magic I guess.

I purchased one last night. Look forward to building and flying and also seeing what everyone recommends for engines before I launch.

The quality of this model is top notch. The tube is much thicker than Estes kits and the plastic parts fit together precisely. Very impressed.

The thing about having the legs deployed is that the real rocket has them folded when it takes off. For scale model, that just would not look right.

OTOH, creating hinged legs that deployed at ejection would be pretty neat Albeit a bit problematic to do so.

I often reject other people's reality and substitute my own :fly:

OK, Mr. Savage...... :)

[video=youtube;W8qcccZy03s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qcccZy03s[/video]

Anyway, seems like a nice kit of the Falcon. Though the thick-walled tube makes me wonder if this kit wasn't a bit over-built (as produced, not by the builder), as a rocket of that size ought to fly nicely on a D12, unless it's designed to be abnormally heavy. What does it weigh with or without engine?

If I had one and indeed it needed more than a D12-3 or E9-4, I'd go with an expendable E15 or an E18 reload.

- George Gassaway

Back