What are/were the missing Estes PSII kits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapetang

Space Frog Fan
Reaction score
Random question: Estes PSII kit numbers (currently) run from 9700-9715. https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/pro-series/rockets

9700 - Leviathan
9701 - Ventris
9702 - Partizon
9703 - Argent
9704 - Nike Smoke
9705 - Mega Der Red Max
9706 - E2X Ascender
9707 - E2X Majestic
9708 - E2X Mammoth
9709 - E2X Trajector
9710 - E2X Prowler
9711 - n/a
9712 - Scion
9713 - Sahara
9714 - n/a, Ventris fins
9715 - Panavia
9716 - Star Orbiter

Two are currently missing. Does anyone know what 9711 & 9714 are/were and what combo of parts? Just curious.

Last edited:
Here they are:

9711 - Le ViaVentArgeZon

9714 - Maxi Der Parleviaventargesmoke

:wink:

possibly the leviatron?
fASwtNfCM-zstf9uCpgCynfaP2XBnSspnNM1Phm_4OcFjKBaappi6BkGwnjmt5BcWG5TEPJPojlhuAAN4H3DKR0AaS9PQ-agOnfWEjBzYGtZoFLvx9eFZX0XV9wpq-5sqKi_nazQ6tKSMdws3Pt-PR9Uvw0XOg9Ocw_1NZgCUcj_Uq9fGVKeIYAOMy52er6ObvlceGunXD-lldIBEV4IqHqu7QMzUBN85PIZWbLHOkVGZsPWVvZwWuieYJywIhJ1iJh3ke6Qjr1xUFh-6DQsZG67tSXMQuCWrC1Rcy7rTKRGFMYPmKR_zTc5ggyUttHJJutYCkuqbsnnRjq-VFCAxCmHCZ0iK5yyoQgRoGtFxAHqMnwoq_27asgxKx-0W94KZ-QwYIGCcV8ANmxu4a8A9bYzA_wIbSogJKXWQu7SYcPZ_Sggxvnvs7dDiPNIDlfiocTtrEkXY-kOtgBWz0jyffGss9w-IuOQXit5jSwFZnTFeLPGZNETZSaylozIVwdKtTZo3Z76Zg8Att7YaeZJOnybVKFifDRT_0H9zYwzrxM=w1228-h921-no

The 9714 was another web only design that used the Ventris Fins, but we then ran out of fins and there for no more 9714. I don't believe there was ever a rocket designed for the 9711.

John Boren

The 9714 was another web only design that used the Ventris Fins, but we then ran out of fins and there for no more 9714. I don't believe there was ever a rocket designed for the 9711.

John Boren

What was the proper name for the 9714? Any chance we could get a look at it?

John Boren

Ran out? That suggests that the Ventris fins aren't still in production.

Between that statement, and the removal of the 3" nose cone from the web store, and the removal of the Leviathan from the web store, and the cross creation of "web only" designs, seems to suggest that parts are being evacuated for the PSII rockets. Seems we have evidence that suggests, but does not confirm, that actions are being taken to end the PSII line without further designs being added.

I'd hate to see this series end. I see an amazing number of these being flown all over. I attend launches at 4 groups. There are always PSII kits in the air.

Ran out? That suggests that the Ventris fins aren't still in production.

Between that statement, and the removal of the 3" nose cone from the web store, and the removal of the Leviathan from the web store, and the cross creation of "web only" designs, seems to suggest that parts are being evacuated for the PSII rockets. Seems we have evidence that suggests, but does not confirm, that actions are being taken to end the PSII line without further designs being added.

I'd hate to see this series end. I see an amazing number of these being flown all over. I attend launches at 4 groups. There are always PSII kits in the air.

I wish Estes would just come out and say it though. I agree, we see lots of these rockets being flown all the time. IMO they were overpriced in the LHS but, I also am not aware of the what Estes costs were either so the price the LHS was asking may have been inline for Estes to have a profitable design. Losing the 3" 3:1 Estes NC is a bummer as I really like the NC and the ability with BMS T-300 airframes and couplers to build my own lightweight MPRs without having to use HPR tubes like Loc which are substantially heavier.

John Boren

Thanks for the response. It would be nice to see the design(s) as well as the name(s).

I haven't built my PSII's yet but I also see them flying all the time. Love the innovative designs you've done (Quinstar & the fantasy-scale kits). Thank you! Looking forward to more PSII's (hopefully) and more kits! :)

I'm waiting for the release of the PSIII kits.

Unless they go back to cluster motors like the PSI, I'm not expecting a PSIII series. The PSII series was one of the best forward leaps Estes has made recently. I have loved every one I've built so far. E2X and builder kits alike. And with the upcoming Chute Release, the E2X versions become even more viable high fliers.

I'm saddened to even think they may be going away. But we still have the AT rockets that fill the void for 29mm MPR.

Random question: Estes PSII kit numbers (currently) run from 9700-9715. https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/pro-series/rockets

9700 - Leviathan
9701 - Ventris
9702 - Partizon
9703 - Argent
9704 - Nike Smoke
9705 - Mega Der Red Max
9706 - E2X Ascender
9707 - E2X Majestic
9708 - E2X Mammoth
9709 - E2X Trajector
9710 - E2X Prowler
9711 - n/a
9712 - Scion
9713 - Sahara
9714 - n/a, Ventris fins
9715 - Panavia
9716 - Star Orbiter

Two are currently missing. Does anyone know what 9711 & 9714 are/were and what combo of parts? Just curious.

Super Big Bertha is 9719.

Add my name to the list of people who likes the PS II line of rockets and would hate to see Estes drop them from its lineup. I have built both the regular and EZ versions, and greatly prefer the regular versions like the Partizon, Argent, etc.

Add mine too. I have a lot of the names on that list, though not all are assembled yet (elder care can do that to you). I have a LOC Aura and 2" AMRAAM, and NCR Lance Beta from back in the day. The Estes PS II were a great, relatively inexpensive and complete (kit contents) way to get more MPR going in my life.

I wish Estes would just come out and say it though. I agree, we see lots of these rockets being flown all the time. IMO they were overpriced in the LHS but, I also am not aware of the what Estes costs were either so the price the LHS was asking may have been inline for Estes to have a profitable design. Losing the 3" 3:1 Estes NC is a bummer as I really like the NC and the ability with BMS T-300 airframes and couplers to build my own lightweight MPRs without having to use HPR tubes like Loc which are substantially heavier.

The kits were not 'overpriced'. Their SRP was keeping in line with Estes normal/traditional pricing structure (Hobby distributors and hobby/retail shops).

When the kits did not sell the distributors did not place re-orders with Estes.

It was at this point the kits received 'close-out' pricing which is when most rocketeers bought the models. If only more folks had bought the kits at their original pricing this product line may have continued.

Bob, I'm sure you saw that Rich's comment is 3 years old but I couldn't agree more. The marketplace spoke and said, "We don't want these models at the price you want to sell them." The old regime made a business decision to cease production. Does the new regime have some new math\voodoo economics up their sleeve ?

Bob, I'm sure you saw that Rich's comment is 3 years old but I couldn't agree more. The marketplace spoke and said, "We don't want these models at the price you want to sell them." The old regime made a business decision to cease production. Does the new regime have some new math\voodoo economics up their sleeve ?
The kits were great kits but not priced to sell in the venues they were offered in, a Madcow or Loc kit of similar size cost about the same and was made of stronger materials The Loc 4" Micro-Magg sells for about $57 vs the $79 for the MDRM, however the MDRM did have a better decal set.

Yes, I saw that the post was several years old but my information is still valid.

I do not know if the new Estes ownership/management is going to adjust the margins on products. It may depend if Estes continues to sell through the traditional hobby distributor/hobby shop or go in a different direction.

Having toured the Estes plant during NARAM-60, the company has a lot of overhead in terms of facilities and staff which has to be paid.

The kits were great kits but not priced to sell in the venues they were offered in, a Madcow or Loc kit of similar size cost about the same and was made of stronger materials The Loc 4" Micro-Magg sells for about $57 vs the $79 for the MDRM, however the MDRM did have a better decal set.

One does not find Madcow kits in hobby stores. I have seen a few store with LOC kits in the past.
Madcow would have to change it's pricing structure to sell through the traditional hobby distributor/hobby shop profile. I would expect Madcow to increase it's prices 50-70% in order to secure sales to hobby distributors.

The fate of bigger PSII builder kits - as in bigger than the Star Orbiter and Super Big Bertha - is dependent on whether Estes wants to either: a. Develop and produce motors in-house that’ll safely fly them or b. Expand having an outside supplier (ie. Aerotech) provide them with relabeled PSII motors. If neither option is viable then kits like the Orbiter and Super BB are what we’ll see in the future. Nothing wrong with that - I have both though SBB hasn’t flown yet - but a return of kits like the Mega DRM, Nike Smoke, Leviathan etc would be great!

Back