Adding Bevel/Airfoil to fins with a Dremel Router table

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenECoyote

Well-roasted Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I hadn't felt the need earlier to add bevels/airfoils to my rocket fins since my local club has a low waiver, so why bother trying to go higher? ;)

However I'm working on a 4" X-15 from Hangar II and from what I can tell, extra altitude/less drag would be good for this bird. Additionally, it looks so good that it deserves that extra bit of effort and square chunky leading edges don't seem like it will do it justice.

So how would one air foil *6* 1/4" plywood fins consistently? I've wanted to use a router table; however getting a full size one seemed overkill for fins, so I looked into a Dremel router table which I've known about for quite a while, but never pulled the trigger.
Dremel%20Shaper_Router%20Table%20231%20new%20(EN)%20r50963v15.jpg

The table itself is about $30 (I got mine from Amazon) and requires that you fit in your own Dremel tool. I actually have a Dremel 395 Model 1 from about maybe 30 years ago that I had sitting around and still works, so I used it!

The table was quick to mount to my bench with 4 wood screws and it was fairly easy to install the Dremel rotary tool and set up. Nice and simple.

I also used a Dremel 618 Chamfer router bit...it has about a 45 degree cut, which was close to what I was looking for:
21wI5B-43lL._SY90_.jpg

The router table has an adjustment to raise/lower the cutting bit, so it was simple to get it where I wanted. Here it is with me doing a quick look-see before mounting it to my bench.

2015-10-27%2020.28.08.jpg

I tried it on a test piece first and adjusted it to where I wanted and then let it rip! It made fairly quick work of the fin edges; however I had to set the rpms to about 3K and also made sure the fins were flat against the table as I was feeding them. Here is a pic of the fin after beveling both sides (pic taken with fin picked up to show the edge):

2015-10-27%2021.10.56.jpg

I then sanded the edges with a Medium sanding sponge and the results look great to me! :)

2015-10-27%2021.48.02.jpg

Hope someone finds this helpful! I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger. :)

Of note is that I'm not sure if I would use this on balsa since that wood is so soft that it would be easier to just sand. I would use this on Basswood and harder. YMMV.

Last edited:
Oh, very nice. I'm in an apartment but that's small enough to justify.

Thanks! For an apartment, you might want to duct-tape a vacuum hose to the bottom of the table where the bit is to cut down on saw dust.

The table made quick work of these 6 fins...I can't imagine how long it would've taken me to do it manually and while the sanding jigs I've seen are really cool, I just couldn't find the time to make one.

2015-10-27%2023.54.13.jpg

Very nice work. I was wondering if this toy would work that well or not. Now it looks like my last excuse for not buying one went poof with your first post.

I've had a router table (the same as in the OP) for a while (too bad the Dremmel itself died). However, I'd like to do longer bevels, say 1/2" - 3/4" from the edge.

Can it be done with a Dremmel?

I've had a router table (the same as in the OP) for a while (too bad the Dremmel itself died). However, I'd like to do longer bevels, say 1/2" - 3/4" from the edge.

Can it be done with a Dremmel?

That's quite a bevel! That would depend on the bit and I'm pretty sure they don't make one that would fit/accommodate that for the Dremel. Maybe with a full size router with a really long/tall/wide bit and a table that angles you can.

Back