A new kind of weird paint jig

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Over the years of building rockets it has always been a challenge to find some way of painting them. I've been on the forum for several years now and happy to be part of the family of rocket guys and gals and over the years I've seen a few cool jogs that all of you came up with, but I thought I would share my strange idea.

It actually very simple. Simply pick up any lonely road cone(s) different sizes help and place the airframe over the top and there you have it. In the picture is my PML 3" Bull Puppy and it stays in place pretty well, but it would benefit from a smaller cone. I think this method works best on your 4" and bigger rockets because they will slide further down on the tapered cone. Worried about moving the rocket around...that's easy just get a "Lazy Susan" and place the cone on top or better yet just build one I'm sure of you have some scrap wood laying around. So there you have it. Nothing fancy just an old road cone.

2.jpg3.jpg1.jpg

That certainly can work. When I paint I typically suspend my rockets from floor joists in my basement or from my daughters swing set by the harness.

Great idea! It's better than my "hold rocket by base with one hand while spraying with the other" technique! I may use this going forward for my priming. However I may not to use for final/finish coat since the lip on top of the cone might leave a ring on the rocket from the pressure...maybe some tape or waiting for full drying and paint hardening would help. Thanks!

BTW - Also I'd be careful using this outdoors on windy days. :wink:

Hey AB,

The fillets on your Bull Puppy look fantastic, great work! I am going to try to rebuild mine this winter and may switch form the typical white to something else...what colour are you going with?

Oh and yes the traffic cone is a pretty creative idea. I built a lazy Suzanne with a removable tapered table leg in the center...works great on anything up to 54mm so far.

I have been using a five gallon bucket, 2x4 cut to size resting in its base, inch hole in the lid and wood, PVC running through the both. It was cheap and works well, and easy to add bricks to the base or a metal rod in the PVC if more stability is needed for larger rockets.

I like painting my rockets horizontally. Now, I'm thinking that my bike repair stand could be adapted for this purpose. All I need is a dowel or pipe to clamp in it, and it would allow me to get around the thing beautifully.

40-2198-NCL-TOP.JPG

Hey AB,

The fillets on your Bull Puppy look fantastic, great work! I am going to try to rebuild mine this winter and may switch form the typical white to something else...what colour are you going with?

Oh and yes the traffic cone is a pretty creative idea. I built a lazy Suzanne with a removable tapered table leg in the center...works great on anything up to 54mm so far.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm going to paint it white, but I'm thinking of painting a red tip on the nose cone maybe 2" down from the tip. I formed the fillets using epoxy clay.

You can buy the clay here in different sizes. It's cheaper to go this route if you like it?

https://www.avesstudio.com/fixit-category/fixit

I like using it because you have 3 hours of work time and no runs, but then I've used other epoxies with much success. I think each type of adhesive applies to certain situations

Last edited:
I like painting my rockets horizontally. Now, I'm thinking that my bike repair stand could be adapted for this purpose. All I need is a dowel or pipe to clamp in it, and it would allow me to get around the thing beautifully.

40-2198-NCL-TOP.JPG

I would probably paint the same way but Duplicolor allows you to adjust the spray fan on their can paint so you have more options

Great idea! It's better than my "hold rocket by base with one hand while spraying with the other" technique! I may use this going forward for my priming. However I may not to use for final/finish coat since the lip on top of the cone might leave a ring on the rocket from the pressure...maybe some tape or waiting for full drying and paint hardening would help. Thanks!

BTW - Also I'd be careful using this outdoors on windy days. :wink:

I never used it yet on a final coat but thought I would throw it out there

Back