PVC 1010 RAIL LAUNCH PAD/ APOGEE PLAN

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyed

Reaction score
This 1010 rail pad should do for fine for my G motors and most H motors. There are no adjustments so you have to level it or angle it with handy things like pieces of wood or rocks or whatever. I fill the PVC pieces with sand or dirt from the site for stability. Added a bracket to the middle rail support for more stability. It is easy to assemble and disassembled for transport. The plans are on APOGEES web site..Here's a few pics for reverence to size. That's an Aerotech MIRAGE on the pad going on an H115DM DMS.

IMG_20150930_094153_052.jpg

IMG_20150930_092114_600.jpg

IMG_20150930_090101_008.jpg

Hah, for a minute I thought you had a clever way to fashion 1010 rail out of PVC.

I've been using something similar using 3" black plastic sewer pipe for a year or two, has held up well. Difference is that I used a flat deflector plate with a bolt drilled through an X connection. It used to be a straight mount, but recently I mounted a sturdy door hinge on the blast deflector plate that I can mount the rail on and ran a turnbuckle from about a foot and a half off the bottom of the rail to one of the legs so I can adjust angle now. It's using a 12' spliced rail and has held up to 6.5 pound rockets and I motors so far.

Frank

one could drill and tap some 1/4" x 20 holes in the legs and use carriage bolts as adjustable feet.
Rex

I did that in my version which is stiffer than small pvc and I found that the legs would flex and the middle would still sit on the ground, not sure if this version is really stiffer or not in the legs.

The pad performes well. Sturdier now as I've added a brace and I'm confident it will handle some I motors......maybe even a lower impulse J. Here's a pic of the brace. It does not interfere with the fins.pic without deflector.

IMG_20151030_192430_532.jpg

Last edited:
Back