MDRA returns to Higgs Field Nov 21 for ESL 209!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott S

Reaction score
We're moving back to Higgs Field in November! We'll be setting up on the front field this year. The first month takes quite a bit of effort to set the field up so please come out and lend a hand.

With that said, lets start the season off right, Who's coming and what are you flying?

Bellatrix didn't survive LDRS this past summer so I'll be flying her big sister Narcissa (8" rocket that flew at Balls on a P-9000) on a N-3200 (98-13000).

Last edited:
You know I'll be there! I'll have my Frenzy loaded with a K500 Red for about 6k ft, and the ever popular Archer on a K815 Skid, and an L805 White.
Hope to have the USMC rocket done soon, probably the same motors as the Archer, all over 1 mile flights.
Hope to have "Blue Lightning" My L3 project done in the next couple months, that will be a 6500ft + flight on an M1670 Blue Streak.

Scott, by "front field," do you mean the opposite side from where we were the last couple of years?

I, of course, will make every effort to be there!

I thought the front field was along the access road vs back behind the house. Now we'll see if I learnt anything after 16 years at MDRA.

I'll be there with the first flight of my Frenzy XL and also my dual deploy MDRM.

Dick is correct, the front field is the field on the right side of the stone drive once you turn into the farm. It gives us a little more distance between the flight line and Goldsboro Rd (313) as well as Ingleside. We all know about the trees on the other side of Goldsboro Rd, they're usually the reason we need to lower the waiver when the winds pick up.

I'm going. I know we're bringing Hellraiser for my L3 attempt, as well as our 4" upscaled Hornet and our 4" upscaled Phoenix Bird. Probably King Kraken, as well as Bucky Jones and/or Space Ark, with a herd of small ones...

Later!

--Coop

No, but you might encounter a few Higgs Bozos. Or is that Bozoes?

Higgs Bozos? I would buy that T-shirt.

Later!

--Coop

I won't be flying my blue "Uncrashable" any more, it was destroyed by a I470 cato at BattlePark last week.

The fin can is intact but it blew off the bottom of the motor tube and the Aeropack retainer. If I can attach a Madcow type retainer then I will splice on a new airframe and rebuild it.

Did the ground test of deployment charges on my fiberglass Frenzy XL yesterday. Tried main deployment with 2.1g first. That sheared the pins but just barely blew the main chute out of the tube. Tried 2.4g, perfect! Then did an apogee deployment test also with 2.4g, looked good. So 2.4g it is. I will be there both Saturday and Sunday.

Last edited:
I will be there Saturday to launch. Leviathan with cable-cutter on a G106. MDRM on an H151 (I think). MAC Perf. Scorpion on an I-something or other. :)

I don't have any Aerotech SU motors for my G-Force, so it will stay home. My X-Celerator is still in a tree, but I am bringing two teenagers to help me recover it on Sunday at the sod farm.

I have a newly built WM Dark Star 2.6, but haven't had a chance to ground test it yet. We'll see if I get an opportunity before the weekend.

If nothing critical is going on at my job, I will come out Friday for set up. Maybe I'll get to ground test while I'm there.

Weather for Saturday is showing mostly sunny, 0% chance of precip, and winds NE at 5 mph. Perfect! (if it holds).

We'll be setting up the field Friday starting about 11:00. That will give us a good start for Saturday.

I'm also going to have a bunch of nose cones and other misc stuff for sale at the launch. Details are in this thread. I'll definitely be there Saturday, Sunday is a maybe at this point.

If you can't make it Saturday shoot me a PM if you see something you want and I'll put it away for you.

See you on the field.

I won't be flying my blue "Uncrashable" any more, it was destroyed by a I470 cato at BattlePark last week.
It was an I540 that was the demise of my Jericho, same damage. Although mine was beyond repair, salvaged the NC and av bay!

Cant wait to see the Frenzy fly!

Seeing a lot of emails about large projects and high flights planned for this weekend. The Dewalt rocket will be flying on an 0-4500 Saturday to about 10,000'.

I'll be there on Saturday...
My 4" rocket "SteamPunk" will be going up on a load I'm making certain my camera battery is all charged up for...
Oh,, and I think Coleman is going to be there with his 240fps GoPro...
Aerotech 75 / 5120 L 1365 M Metal Storm...........
I'm hoping this will be a really photogenic take off.........
"SteamPunk" should be bout 35 lbs on the pad with this load,,
and should make in the neighborhood of 10K ft.........
I'm super glad the weather is looking superb,, light winds for Saturday......
Cross your fingers for me........lol...

Teddy

Oooh, now that should be fun. The jury is out whether I'll make it this month :(

We're moving back to Higgs Field in November! We'll be setting up on the front field this year. The first month takes quite a bit of effort to set the field up so please come out and lend a hand.

With that said, lets start the season off right, Who's coming and what are you flying?

Bellatrix didn't survive LDRS this past summer so I'll be flying her big sister Narcissa (8" rocket that flew at Balls on a P-9000) on a N-3200 (98-13000).

Scott,

I love the website for MDRA, especially the challenge coins, brings back great memories. Next time I'm in the area I'll join you all. You never can launch too many rockets!

Thanks
Joe

Also flying on Saturday at MDRA is the Tube Fin

CTI M3700 to 1000'

LiftOff.jpg

Wow Tom,,,
You're certainly planning a busy day for yourself...
2 launches that big in one day is quite a challenge...
I absolutely cannot wait to see them roar off the pad...

Can't wait...

Teddy

Thanks Teddy.

The rockets are prepped and ready to head to Higgs.
Your Steampunk is one of my favorite projects..it has done great each time I have seen it.

It is a real privilege for a great club like MDRA to welcome us
to Higgs again.
I am very thankful for all that is done by the MDRA leaders and club members.

Drive safely Teddy and see you in Maryland.

Latest posts

Back