In Memoriam: Skelenaut II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteNumber2

Original San Diego High Power Rocketry
Reaction score
Farewell, Skelenaut. We barely knew ye.

After a majestic liftoff and, um, cruise phase, Skelenaut went down in a blaze of glory due to the J135's ejection charge touch hole becoming clogged with grease during motor burn. A few photos commemorating his life (afterlife?) are attached.

Will there be a Skelenaut III? Time will tell. I’ve already had one person offer to buy a K motor for the next one.

Skelenaut-Before.jpg 12139956_489758724519601_7059216820428253346_o.jpg Skelenaut-Liftoff.jpg Skelenaut-After.jpg

Photo credit: Unknown / M. Canepa / G. Morgan / Author

Liftoff video: https://youtu.be/qxNOZHhV5mc?t=6m50s

Last edited:
That's so cool! The rocket concept and the up part, that is. Hope he rises from the grave, again.

The one time that a crashed rocket is truly... humerus

Man... I skull miss ThirstyBarbarian for bouncing these puns around.

Last edited:
Took me a while to get my OS2015 album online, but FYI I shot a video of the flight. Assuming the direct link works, it's here. Otherwise the entire album is available in my signature, it's right around the middle.

Took me a while to get my OS2015 album online, but FYI I shot a video of the flight. Assuming the direct link works, it's here. Otherwise the entire album is available in my signature, it's right around the middle.

Fantastic video! The rest of the album is great, too! Could I possibly get a file copy of the clip?

Good news is Google albums allow downloads right on the video page, there should be a download link in the upper-right corner. The original file is 129,020,139 bytes, it's a 1080p/60fps .mov file. Google *might* be reducing the file size now, so if what you download is significantly different than that let me know (via PM) how I can send a file of this size to you (supposedly Mac Mail can send large files by posting a web download link somewhere, though I've never tried it, so just giving me an email address might be enough). But with any luck Google will give you the original file straight from my album.

Good news is Google albums allow downloads right on the video page, there should be a download link in the upper-right corner. The original file is 129,020,139 bytes, it's a 1080p/60fps .mov file. Google *might* be reducing the file size now, so if what you download is significantly different than that let me know (via PM) how I can send a file of this size to you (supposedly Mac Mail can send large files by posting a web download link somewhere, though I've never tried it, so just giving me an email address might be enough). But with any luck Google will give you the original file straight from my album.

Hi Will - sent you a private message, not sure if you get notifications for them or not.

i was around the backside for better lighting and had a long lens, but was a bit slow on the trigger:p

DSC_7121.jpg

Back