Smaller motors in minimum diameter rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketGeekInFL

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on doing a smaller motor in a minimum diameter rocket yet leaving the rocket able to fly its intended motor diameter? I have a 38mm min diameter and I want to fly it with 38mm on larger fields, however since my home field is much smaller I want to fly it with 29MM motors.

Take a look at how the Aeropack 75/54 adaptor works, might want to try out some rings like that.

I've never done minD, but I can't see how that matters. If you can make the motor fit (adapter) and if it has enough initial thrust to get it off the rail, then why not?

I was thinking of slim lines and this is one of the recommended options for this particular kit a Mariah 38, but I would prefer to not have anything creating drag and would also not look forward to doing some sort of build up on the front end of the retainer. I was thinking of using the 38 to 29 tailcone they have, but still have an issue of how to hold the motor in.

I was thinking of slim lines and this is one of the recommended options for this particular kit a Mariah 38, but I would prefer to not have anything creating drag and would also not look forward to doing some sort of build up on the front end of the retainer. I was thinking of using the 38 to 29 tailcone they have, but still have an issue of how to hold the motor in.

With a bit of finishing work you can remove the drag on a MD rocket utilizing a Slimline retainer. Note the "in process" and "finished" pictures my Madcow Tomach below.

IMG_0298.jpg IMG_0440.jpg

That is impressive, you can barely tell it is there. How did you do the build up for that? I imagine a lot of sanding was involved.

Well I think I have settled on a plan. I am going to use an Aeropack Minimum diameter retainer, with rods and casings using RAS, and then I will use 120-240 motors in a 360-480 casing on smaller fields. Will have to pay more for a G reload, but in the long run it will work out cheaper than trying something else, and will also be more reliable and less chance of loss. Now if I can just keep it out of the nearby lake that has ceremoniously been named after me all will be well.

Back