Parachute for Semroc Maxi-Micron

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gna

average joe-overbuild member
Reaction score
I've just about finished a Semroc Maxi-Micron. I assembled the parachute, and I was surprised to find a 12" parachute for a 24", 1.84" diameter rocket. It does have a balsa nosecone, so it's surprisingly light, but does that seem a bit too small? The Semroc Vega also has a 12" parachute, and it's a slightly smaller rocket (1.64" diameter).

I run simulations in OR, and it seems to come down at about 15 ft/sec. What should I aim for?

Funny that Semroc also uses a 12" chute in the Der V1.5 (which I just built). That one is half the length and only 1.325" in diameter, so it weighs very little (less than an oz). I substituted a 9" parachute instead. 15 ft/sec is safe, but you can get away with faster descent rates, depending on your landing surface. For me, its always tall grass or a field of some kind, so I often shoot for 17-19 fps. Make sure your sim is accurate for mass, and that you've got a typical motor loaded (I think that often gets overlooked) to make sure you're getting a good result. eRocket's site shows 2.2 oz for the Maxi-Micron, and only 0.8 for the Der V1.5 - odd that they would select the same chute for both.

It's enough. I flew mine at NSL 2013 over hard dry dirt (and on motors including Aerotech D21s) and the 12 inch 'chute was enough.

I generally try for something in the 12 - 15fps range for low power rockets (recovery area has a paved road running through it).
Rex

Okay, I have a chance to fly this weekend on large grass field. I 'll give it a try.

I also have a Quest 14" parachute that came with other odds and ends from my LHS discount box.

Top Flight 15" thin mill is my personal choice for the Maxi Micron...perfect combo!

-Eric-

Sheryl from Semroc was nice enough to PM me, too.

Maxi-Micron.jpg

I flew the Maxi-Micron today. It was very windy--I was glad the 'chute was only 12".

My daughter dubbed this rocket "Billie Bob Joe," for some reason.

[video=youtube;_JyCKCXqtzY]https://youtu.be/_JyCKCXqtzY[/video]

Last edited:
Back