Lost nosecone for payload bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugnut56

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to model rocketry (only been building/flying for approx. 1 yr). I've learned a great deal from this forum and other websites, but I had something happen this past weekend that I thought I had covered. I lost the payload nosecone on my Sunward "That Tube Rocket". The nosecone to payload bay fit was much tighter than the payload bay to body tube fit, so I assumed it would stay on during deployment. Luckily, I didn't have the altimeter in, as this was the first launch. When I recovered the rocket, the payload nosecone was gone. Did I need a tighter fit, or possible put a wrap of tape on the nosecone to payload bay seam? Mini Honest John.jpgView attachment 274523After launch.jpgView attachment 274525

Yes. You should make anything that shouldn't come off in flight fairly snug. :) A wrap of masking tape around the shoulder of the nose cone will do fine.

You can get a new nose cone from Estes. Or someone on here may have one that they'd send you.

Welcome to rocketry!

(Guys, let's not introduce our friend to AP motors just yet. We don't want to scare them off too quickly.... :p )

Lots of things can cause undesired separation during a flight: drag separation, pressure build-up, overenergetic deployment charge.... As Matt said, secure anything that is not supposed to come off.

late deployment and or too short a shock cord. a couple small pieces of masking tape on the outside will reduce the chance of losing the cone as will tying the two together. for Bt55 and larger tubes I've been using a 2-56 screw. welcome to the forum.
Rex

Back