Javelin - Boosted Dart Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksrockets

Now with 8% more aluminum
Reaction score
I've moved off to college now, so It's time I change the kind of the projects I'm working on. I have little time to work on rockets, but the spare time I have, I have access to any tool you'd ever want. Fillament winders, lathes, 4 axis CNC machines, autoclaves, etc are all on the table. It's time to start the serious aerospace projects. Enter the "Javelin" project. I've just started this, so a lot is still up in the air. Including the launch location and date.

I've decided to do the build as a google document, so it isn't broken up by comments. I'll post updates here, but the majority of it will be on the document.

Here it is so far

The document still needs a lot of work, but I've got this little space of time right now to post this thread, so here goes.

It's likely this will take the next few years, so stay off the edge of your seat.

Alex

Looks like this will be an awesome project.

Team Icarus at SDSU is working towards developing a very similar project over the next couple years. You and I even share the same first name, which is a bit of an eerie coincidence...

Thanks for starting the build thread, best of luck, and I will be watching it closely for updates.

Alex

Cool man. I remember when I had access to my college's machine shop chock full of metal working equipment. Rocket projects definitely got more complex :).

Where are you planning to lauch?
Steel nose cone, fins and other parts are a no go at a TRA launch.

M

Edit, saw you are making aluminum parts too.

Last edited:
Are you spin stabilizing it?

If so......how?

Goog luck, will be an interesting project.
I don't think so at the moment, just considering the video payload. However, I'll make a fincan with canted fins to induce a spin with non-video payloads.

Where are you planning to lauch?
Steel nose cone, fins and other parts are a no go at a TRA launch.

M

Edit, saw you are making aluminum parts too.
We're looking for a private launch site at the moment. Possibly Blackrock. Ideally I'd use steel, but I'll probably end up using aluminum and flying at an Aeropac launch or BALLS anyway.

Alex

Online metals is expensive, but I've rarely had damages with them because they pack very well.

I'm going to try Speedy metals for my 4.5" project. I recently found out that they are in my parents backyard (New Berlin, WI) so I can just go pick it up.

12177986_843879555725265_984630671_n.jpg

Or am I just happy to see you?

I finished machining the tailcone.

12179382_843874919059062_1273801004_n.jpg

The details are in the document.

Alex

I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that! Looks great man. I can't wait to see this thing develop.

Back