North Texas High Power Launches-NAR/Tripoli

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google use to recommend taking the Loop 6 around Waco when commuting from the north. However, I started using the University Parks exit right off 35. It's easier and takes you right through Baylor University which is cool. From there it's about a straight shot to the launch site. Just hang a left on Steiner after ~9 miles and you'll be about a mile out. Park right off of Steiner. It's probably the easiest launch site I've ever navigated to.

I just checked the forecast in Waco and there's negligible chance of rain and strong winds today and tomorrow, but light winds on Saturday with sunshine. I think things are starting to look good!

Yes indeed! The rocket gods have spared us from the rain. Waco is in the clear today with a forecast for Saturday of 65 and sunny with light winds. Rocket pre-prep has begun.

I sure wish I felt better but my recent surgery has taken its toll. My friend Nick V. (TALON) is planning on being there with his Ventris and splendid camera and has offered me a ride to Asa, but my bladder just ain't up for the task. :facepalm: It looks like the weather will be just about perfect and I look forward to some cool pics and videos! Have fun kids, and drive safely.

The official "green light" for Asa

I notified the Landowner
I called in the Port O Jon
Maggie called her friends at the FAA & Secret Service
(they love her & so do I)

The Landowner is “GO”
The Port O Jon Is “GO” (in case you need to “go”)
The range is “GO”
The Waiver is “GO”
HOTROC ASA IS “GO” for Launch!

Marlin Philyaw

By the way, what time does this party start/stop?

I think I saw that it starts at 8 am somewhere? They will probably fly all day, it's going to be beautiful after noon.

I will be there early, I have to recertify with Tripoli L1 & L2 since my membership lapsed. I wish they would they would just give you your cert back like NAR does, I have been L2 since 1996 with them and they always reinstate it when I re-up after an absence. Lucky for me I already had those two flights scheduled :)

OK, thanks. The wife and I plan on leaving Arlington around 8am but knowing her, that means closer to 9 with the possible stop in West or something. I just wanted to make sure it would still be going on by the time we finally made it down.

*She disapproves of this post*

Awesome! I think I'll be able to make it! As follows I have to ask the question, will there be any Tripoli members willing to witness my flights under the Tripoli TMP cert rules? I've got a couple rockets to fly and though I could fly them with my NAR Jr. Lv. 1 I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to go out to the pad.

Awesome! I think I'll be able to make it! As follows I have to ask the question, will there be any Tripoli members willing to witness my flights under the Tripoli TMP cert rules? I've got a couple rockets to fly and though I could fly them with my NAR Jr. Lv. 1 I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to go out to the pad.

I'm pretty sure some of the Tripoli North Texas guys will be there but they might not see this here. Perhaps a note on their Yahoo list ? https://tripolinorthtexas.org/

There will be plenty of Tripoli members at the launch as well as 2 prefects. Marlin Philyaw from HOTROCS (our host) and Tony Huet from TNT. Tony will be bringing the L2 tests also if anyone needs to certify.

I will be there with nothing to fly but filling in as RSO for Marlin so I should be easy to find if you need someone Robert.

If all goes as planned I'll be there and happy to observe.

I managed to install some shear pins on my 4" scratch build. Re built a J520 KBA and built a J315R. I'd like to fly the same rocket with both motors but we'll have to wait and see. I'm bringing my 5.5" BDR as a back up just in case. Also bringing some very aged LOC kits with some old school motors that I may try to swing in.

Plan to leave around 7 in the am. Factoring in my usual stop at Jack in the Box in Hillsboo I should be there around 9:30 ish. A little cold in the morning but sun, no clouds or no wind and we should be in fine shape. Look forward to seeing everyone there!

Motors are loaded and ready to go, should be a great day.

Planned flights:
LOC Onyx on an AT H250G to 3850'
Stretched Squat on an AT H170M 1500'
Minnie Magg on a Loki I405 2850'

An awesome day at Asa! Three RC rocket glider flights, two mid power flights and one high power flight for me.

An early ejection on my Aquila 4"'scratch built on a DMS I140 give the model an impressive zipper, but the model recovered safely on a tattered chute. Was to be the first high power recover with the RC chute sled, but the main was ripped free and opened after the drogue was ripped away by the early ejection. I had very carefully removed 5 seconds of the 14 second delay, but the delay ran more like 2-3 seconds. Far too early. A very nice looking boost, though.

Two mid power flights (AR Strongarm on a G76 Econojet and my wife's AT ARCAS on a SU G40) both had good recovery with main deployment immediately on demand from the RC chute sled.

Flew the InteR/Ceptor, the new profile R/C SA-14 Archer and the new Douglas D-558-III Skyflash rocket gliders. All went well but the Archer. I had walked over and foolishly stood in one of the plowed furrows for the launch. Boost started out perfect, but I shifted position slightly, lost my footing on the plowed ground and nearly fell down twice while flying the Archer during late boost and early coast. It veered off to the east a little and I made a marginal landing out in the rough. Minor dings to the foam and it will fly again soon.

The InteR/Ceptor had a perfect flight and the first flight of the Skyflash went very well! Nice boost with a couple of on-purpose rolls near burnout. Decent glide for an X-15 like model...:)

Lots of great flights by lots of people in a beautiful clear blue sky with light and variable winds.....:)

Last edited:
Had a great time! You guys missed my ballistic recovery! Right after Robert left I flew my Torrent on a J350, the motor deploy was not strong enough to separate the rocket and it landed face first into the ground. Hit the ground at 190 MPH and the electronics still survived!

Not really sad about losing my torrent. I swear that thing was cursed. I'm just happy my Telemetrum survived. :)

Great day at Asa today, the rocket boosted gliders were awesome . The youth we had fly today were very impressive in their knowledge and craftsmanship . I have lots of pictures to sort and then I will post a link. I really enjoyed the day.

What a day. I still can't believe how light the winds were. Who would have thought you could motor deploy at 3500' or better and still land near the pads. Good stuff all the way around. I saw some really great flights today.

This was my first time at Asa and I want to thank all the hard working folks that put on a great launch with great hospitality in a great place.

Yeah man, what an excellent day it was! Tons of stuff to comment on and I'll do that later. In the meantime, I've still got a buzz............... Trying to figure out what motor/rocket combo to fly next!

nirvanalogo.bmp

Back