North Texas High Power Launches-NAR/Tripoli

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, how was the Mammoth drag race? What is ntx month's theme?

About what you would expect. 7 Mammoths on G motors flying up rather quickly and out of site.

20170211_141654.jpg

Next months theme is "fast food rockets" Apparently you are supposed to build and fly a rocket made out of materials acquired at a fast food joint. I will opt out of this one.

About what you would expect. 7 Mammoths on G motors flying up rather quickly and out of site.

View attachment 311822

Next months theme is "fast food rockets" Apparently you are supposed to build and fly a rocket made out of materials acquired at a fast food joint. I will opt out of this one.

Anybody claim 1st place in this race ?

I didn't take many pictures at Hearne, mostly video. I did manage to steal a few off the web.

Polecat Thumper Jr. on an AT J500G landed on the runway and was considered destroyed at the time but I have decided I will rebuild.

16665973_810245615783512_4759209301283993410_o.jpg

Scratchbuilt 4" Black Arrow on a K550W

16508614_809706482504092_3180007142200414276_n.jpg

16715940_810244645783609_2410204756559064523_o.jpg

DARS is flying HIGH POWER this Saturday the 25th at Prairie Hill. Class 2 6000' waiver will be in effect. Range will be open from 9:00-3:00. $20 HP fee/$10 DARS Members. We need a good showing of High Power flyers at this launch, it is getting harder to justify these HP launches with only a few people showing up at the last couple we have had. Come on out and fly this weekend, should be a nice day to have some fun and burn some AP!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pr...!4d-96.7849609

Tripoli Houston is having their monthly launch this Saturday the 13th from 9-4.

DARS is also having a launch at the Gunter site on the 20th, should be able to fly some high power depending on wind direction.

I'm looking forward to the Houston Tripoli launch this weekend. If all goes well, I might have my Level 2 finally.

Just came in from throwing some paint on the Tyrannosaur that's been a long time in the making.

Are there any Kolache request from our friend down south? I've heard they bring better flight for us Northerners!

I'm looking forward to the Houston Tripoli launch this weekend. If all goes well, I might have my Level 2 finally.

Just came in from throwing some paint on the Tyrannosaur that's been a long time in the making.

Are there any Kolache request from our friend down south? I've heard they bring better flight for us Northerners!

Do you even have to ask ? Stop at Top Donut for a dozen. :)

top donut hearne tx.png

Good luck with the cert flight.

My Favorite, also in West.

Their Sausage Sauerkraut Kolache is the height of food technology.

I was not intending to start the greatest Kolache debate of 2017, but now that I have, I'm so conflict with the great choices!

Tempting to take my boys on a Kolache quest that just happens to end up at a rocket launch!

How man Kolache can a 6 & 8 year old put down in a morning?

I was not intending to start the greatest Kolache debate of 2017, but now that I have, I'm so conflict with the great choices!

Tempting to take my boys on a Kolache quest that just happens to end up at a rocket launch!

How man Kolache can a 6 & 8 year old put down in a morning?

Depends on how prone to car sickness they are, and how much of a risk taker you are. :):puke::(

I have a bit shorter drive for kolache. There's a decent shop here in Flower Mound. It's not run by Czechs, but they're still pretty good.

Kolache's from Slovecek's where top notch, and appeased the Rocket Gods!

After making a Kolache selection, my boys found the cinnamon roles (Texas size) next to the register. I was talked into one plus a cinnamon twist! Boys saved Kolache's for later.

A dozen where delivered to the main check in table and appear to have been enjoyed by many throughout the day.

Now for my personal success, I first passed the TRA L2 written even with some new questions thrown in. With all the activity RSO / LCO the table, I didn't get the results of the written until PokerJoe walked up and asked if I was prepping for the Cert flight. After being informed of the written results, I said sure let me pull this I145M out and put in the J425R to the BD Tyrannosaur! Engine swapped and both Altimeter checked again, we where off to have it checked in. RSO looked it over, asked a few questions and said go ahead and put it on the far pad (Closer ones where already taken).

Pad installation was relatively easy. Altimeters activated via switch for a StratoLogger SL100 and a Eggtimer Wi-fi switch to activate an Eggtimer Quark, and we had 2 sets of ready to fly beeps. I had be patient while the near pads where launched one by one to get to my turn. My youngest (6) was eagerly waiting for to get a chance to launch the much awaited Tyrannosaur as well. Finally, our turn was up, count down, and the press of the button..... smoke....red flame!

Tyrannosaur L2 Cert liftoff-small.jpg

The boost under the AT J425R had plenty of punch for the nearly 7 lbs Tyrannosaur. It was pretty much straight up with a little spin....maybe that provided some stabilization. The coast was to 2562 (if I remember the beeps correctly) and at nose over, there was separation. The drogue was out and at +1 sec, another puff from the backup charge.... this is looking good I think to my self. The controlled fall under the 12" drogue seemed to take forever, where it this thing going to end up, what are the winds aloft going to do to it??? 500' another event with a 50" main showing up shortly after, then the backup main event at 300'. We watched at the now slow drift it toward a pad of tarmac just south of the away pad! Finally touchdown, and the chute deflates! Do I do it? It is going to be fully intacked on the tarmac?

Tryannosaur L2 landing-small.jpg

A short walk over, and this it is, just as it should be! A few minor scratched and nicks, but overall in good shape, not even signs of a drag as much as just settling. We packed up the harnesses and chutes, and walked back to the RSO tent. After inspection, I got a congratulations on your LEVEL 2. I give credit to the kolache's!

It was a great day. Thanks to the Houston Tripoli group for hosting a great lunch. Thanks to Jeff Jones for the tips and extra push to go for it!

I know, now it's time to open the wallet again. Not sure there's an L3 anywhere in my near future, but never say never!

Jack Poehlman
TRA 01260
NRA 41185
L1 - 9/2014 on a 25 year old LOC Precision
L2 - 5/13/2017 on a Binder Designs Tyranossaur that took 2.5 years to get from start to flight!

Last edited:
Way to go Jack, beautiful flight and nice close recovery. I told you those Kolaches would work, congrats again.

20170513_125353.jpg

Jim Jarvis did a drone video yesterday. You can see your flight and recovery near the middle.

https://youtu.be/HBQp28yA984

Last edited:
Wow. That is a nice looking launch site. I may have to plan a trip out West. Looks like about a 4 hour drive for me - from central La.
What's the waiver.

I have a Tyrannosaur in paint right now. Needs polish and AV bay and she'll be ready.

Last edited:
Wow. That is a nice looking launch site. I may have to plan a trip out West. Looks like about a 4 hour drive for me - from central La.
What's the waiver.

I have a Tyrannosaur in paint right now. Needs polish and AV bay and she'll be ready.

It is a nice site to launch at but there are a few danger areas depending on the wind. The waiver is 16K

What sort of dangers? Lions, tigers, T Rex?!!😀.

We have a few clumps of trees and a couple power lines at our site. My Cowabunga got hung on one of the lines all night, power company came out and retrieved it the next day, on a Sunday.

Highest I've gone so far is just a tad under 2k. I won't come anywhere near that waiver for quite some time.

What sort of dangers? Lions, tigers, T Rex?!!.

I suppose "trouble areas" would have been more appropriate, there's not much danger at Hearne except for the raptors in the tall grass :shock:

There are some areas along the perimeter of the site that have dense, tall trees (red boxes) that will claim your rocket if you drift too far away from the pads (yellow star)

Screenshot (11).png

Congratulations Jack ! Glad your trip south was successful and enjoyable. The cert was never in doubt, the kolaches are just the traditional victory food down there, like milk at Indy. This past weekend sure was great rocket flyin' weather.

Thanks Jeff. I always wear Raptor repelling bells when I go into the long grass so no worries there. The trees may pose a problem but all my flights use electronic apogee deployment and then either a chute release or traditional dual deployment. I haven't had one drift too far since going that route. I'd try to keep em around 2000 to be safe though.
Will have to try to get a weekend free and head over. Yaw just fly on Saturdays?

Thanks Jeff. I always wear Raptor repelling bells when I go into the long grass so no worries there. The trees may pose a problem but all my flights use electronic apogee deployment and then either a chute release or traditional dual deployment. I haven't had one drift too far since going that route. I'd try to keep em around 2000 to be safe though.
Will have to try to get a weekend free and head over. Yaw just fly on Saturdays?

You can come out anytime, they fly the 2nd Saturday of each month. Check out their site for more info. https://www.tripolihouston.com/

Looks like we lost another field, this is from Andy with Tripoli Houston.

Ok, visited the Hearne airport today. And I think it's time we set some expectations for everyone. When I drove up to the gate, I immediately noticed that security is significantly increased. Several phone calls just to get me through the gate. FEMA has torn down the residential house that was there and created parking lots for their staff. Yes, a significant increase in staffing.. Significantly increased number of new buildings, etc and the number of trailers on the airfield is more than I've seen. Absolutely impossible to fly rockets there. I'd be surprised if they were even allowing aircraft.

I asked the senior FEMA person onsite what the time frame was for closure and he smiled and said, "not anytime soon, that's for sure".
So IMHO, Hearne is no longer the home of Tripoli Houston and I don't see us ever returning.

Back