North Texas High Power Launches-NAR/Tripoli

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things are still looking good for the HOTROCS Launch at Asa this weekend (October 15th - see post #355). The wind forecast has moderated and unless there is significant rain in the area we should be in good shape. Should be a great day to fly.

Tony

Looking forward to my L3 cert flight at the HOTROCS launch this weekend in Asa. I built the AT M1315W last night and I am getting everything else prepped for Saturday morning. Weather looks like it will be perfect for flying, high 80's and light winds out of the south.

Looking forward to my L3 cert flight at the HOTROCS launch this weekend in Asa. I built the AT M1315W last night and I am getting everything else prepped for Saturday morning. Weather looks like it will be perfect for flying, high 80's and light winds out of the south.

What time do you think you'll launch?

I'm planning on around 10:00 as long as everything looks good and my TAP is there.
Wind forecast has really moderated and looks to be less windy in the morning. Always a good idea to try and launch early. I'm looking forward to your flight, sounds like there will be several other good projects as well.

See you Saturday,

Tony

Very nice can't wait for this launch to start the Asa season. Good luck on ur L3 flight I'll be there watching and taking pictures.

I'm a no go for tomorrow but please take plenty of pictures and video Jacob!!

I know it's a bit early, but I keep hitting refresh to no avail :(. Can't wait to see how things went...

I know it's a bit early, but I keep hitting refresh to no avail :(. Can't wait to see how things went...

I'm with you Pryobob. Did pokerjoe get his level 3 success? How was the field? We need some highlights!

I spent the day on our basemen remodel so had to miss the launch. Can't make the DARS launch on the 29th either. Hopefully I can make a launch in Nov.

Okay, I don't think I can wait much longer............... Any launch reports coming in the next 5 minutes????

Jacob, you fly that L2300G???

Okay, I don't think I can wait much longer............... Any launch reports coming in the next 5 minutes????

Jacob, you fly that L2300G???

Ok I guess I'll sum up the launch. So the flying started at around 11 I think it was a slow launch with it winding down around 3 or 4 not a huge crowd like the past launches. The first few flights were Pokers L3 flight which was perfect and sorry didn't get a picture of that flight because my dad was using the camera and he didn't know how to use it which I thought he did well now I know not to let him use it;) sorry poker. Then I flew my 4 inch fb on a K805 with my GoPro on board great video will post later with the take off picture. I also flew my 3inch fb on a J1799 now that's a nice motor really really fast picture up shortly. The field was pretty nice it was really dry it was neat seeing pieces of left over Cotten on the ground. Didn't get to fly the L2300 sadly but will fly it at the DARS prairie hill launch hopefully. Thanks to all the TNT memebers for their help and the pad. Very nice weather as well wind wasn't too bad but it was just a little too cloudy for me.
Pictures will be up later

I hope someone makes a point of inviting Marlin to Prairie Hill. His launches have sure helped a lot of DARS folk to be able to launch during our recent dry spell.

He might like a launch close to Waco he does not have to run and set up!

I hope someone makes a point of inviting Marlin to Prairie Hill. His launches have sure helped a lot of DARS folk to be able to launch during our recent dry spell.

That's a great idea Tom, consider it done.

Ditto. Yeah, we should definitely reach out to Marlin. Cool as could be and worthy of a leisurely rocket launch not far from home :).

Ok I guess I'll sum up the launch. So the flying started at around 11 I think it was a slow launch with it winding down around 3 or 4 not a huge crowd like the past launches. The first few flights were Pokers L3 flight which was perfect and sorry didn't get a picture of that flight because my dad was using the camera and he didn't know how to use it which I thought he did well now I know not to let him use it;) sorry poker. Then I flew my 4 inch fb on a K805 with my GoPro on board great video will post later with the take off picture. I also flew my 3inch fb on a J1799 now that's a nice motor really really fast picture up shortly. The field was pretty nice it was really dry it was neat seeing pieces of left over Cotten on the ground. Didn't get to fly the L2300 sadly but will fly it at the DARS prairie hill launch hopefully. Thanks to all the TNT memebers for their help and the pad. Very nice weather as well wind wasn't too bad but it was just a little too cloudy for me.
Pictures will be up later

Cool, L2300 at Prairie Hill? Too cool. Poker, do we need to let Jack know????

Ditto. Yeah, we should definitely reach out to Marlin. Cool as could be and worthy of a leisurely rocket launch not far from home :).

Talked with Marlin tonight and he will definitely take us up on the offer after the season at Asa is over, if not before. Rumor has it that there will also be a Halloween launch at Asa on October 29th, coinciding with the DARS launch at Prairie Hill.

..I flew my 4 inch fb on a K805 with my GoPro on board great video.... I also flew my 3inch fb on a J1799 now that's a nice motor ...Thanks to all the TNT memebers for their help and the pad.
Those were both great flights Jacob. That J1799 really screamed. Your GoPro video turned out great as well.

I see you've updated your profile pic. Nice shot of you arming your rocket on the tower. Ken Overton's pad is fantastic and has handled J's to P's which is quite a range. His engineering is top notch. His son Chris was also a huge help this launch.

TNT members are always happy to help out down at Asa. Marlin is a fantastic host and it's always a good time seeing flyers of all ages show up to launch a few rockets.

Tony

Here is the video of my L3 flight. It has a mobius on board, a go pro on the pad and cell phone video all together. Also a few pics of the unusual landing area. Thanks to everyone who helped with the launch and to Grouch for helping with recovery.

https://youtu.be/NNpeReoahA8

DSC_1225.jpgDSC_1221.jpgDSC_1229.jpg

These are from Jacob, thanks.

Igniter Pad.jpgKen & Jeff TGO.jpgTGO Pad.jpg

Looks like the last weekend of October will be a fun time to fly in the Waco area.

DARS Launch Details:
Date: Saturday, 10-29-2016
Time: 9 am setup, 10am – 4 pm Launch hours
Location: Prairie Hill High Power Field – Follow this link for directions
Altitude Limit: 10,000 ft AGL
Impulse LImit: M
Pads Available: Model Rocket, Mid Power, and High Power (Please let us know in advance if you plan on flying high power)
Certification: NAR or Tripoli - All high power flyers must show a current NAR or TRA membership card to prove certification level.
Flight Prep: All high power rockets and flight plans will be reviewed by the RSO before pad assignment to ensure compliance. If you are planning a flight that will be close to our waiver, be prepared to answer many questions or provide a simulation.
Registration/Range Fees: FREE - Under 18 modroc/sport
$5 - Adult modroc/sport
$20 - High-Power (non DARS member)
$10 - High-Power DARS member
Bathroom Facilities: There is a port-a-potty on site, but donations will be accepted to help cover this cost
Food/Beverages: It's a decent drive to a convenience store. It is best to bring your own.
Flight Cards: to speed up range operations please bring your flight cards already filled out to the field.

Back