North Texas High Power Launches-NAR/Tripoli

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like we lost another field, this is from Andy with Tripoli Houston.

Ok, visited the Hearne airport today. And I think it's time we set some expectations for everyone. When I drove up to the gate, I immediately noticed that security is significantly increased. Several phone calls just to get me through the gate. FEMA has torn down the residential house that was there and created parking lots for their staff. Yes, a significant increase in staffing.. Significantly increased number of new buildings, etc and the number of trailers on the airfield is more than I've seen. Absolutely impossible to fly rockets there. I'd be surprised if they were even allowing aircraft.

I asked the senior FEMA person onsite what the time frame was for closure and he smiled and said, "not anytime soon, that's for sure".
So IMHO, Hearne is no longer the home of Tripoli Houston and I don't see us ever returning.

Ouch. I know rocket fields come and go, but there has been a disproportionate amount of going in recent years.

Thanks to all at Tripoli Houston that made Hearne a great place to fly.

Looks like we lost another field, this is from Andy with Tripoli Houston.

Ok, visited the Hearne airport today. And I think it's time we set some expectations for everyone. When I drove up to the gate, I immediately noticed that security is significantly increased. Several phone calls just to get me through the gate. FEMA has torn down the residential house that was there and created parking lots for their staff. Yes, a significant increase in staffing.. Significantly increased number of new buildings, etc and the number of trailers on the airfield is more than I've seen. Absolutely impossible to fly rockets there. I'd be surprised if they were even allowing aircraft.

I asked the senior FEMA person onsite what the time frame was for closure and he smiled and said, "not anytime soon, that's for sure".
So IMHO, Hearne is no longer the home of Tripoli Houston and I don't see us ever returning.

Damn.

Sad to hear.

Side note, I wish south Texas was more active with launches. I'm struggling to find a prefect to recert with south of San Antonio.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Oh wow. I am so sorry. That is disconcerting. I’m relatively new to rocketry and in Houston and was thinking of checking out a launch at Hearne once I got more experience.

I am absolutely ignorant of the situation up there. Isn’t Hearne an active airport? Is the FEMA presence a staging area for Harvey-related things or something else. I honestly don’t know.

From your wording it seems this is a quasi-permanent thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Just saw this posted on FB. Good news:

Attn: Tripoli Houston Flyers

Thanks to the hard work of our officers and support team members.

We wanted to let everyone know that we have secured a new launch site. We still have some work to due to work out all If the details. We will be flying again very soon.

More details to come over the next few weeks.

Jimmy D. Higham
Tripoli Houston VP
TRA 13951 L3

Some more good news from the Tripoli Houston group today!

New launch site is secured and they are about to apply for the new waiver. Hopefully another 45 days or so and all will be ready to go! Lot of hard work done by a lot of people to get this accomplish so quickly. They also said they are meeting with an additional two land owners this week. Stay excited friends!

Back