North Texas High Power Launches-NAR/Tripoli

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokerJones

Reaction score
Starting this thread for all of us launch deprived North Texans. Post up any launch info you have. Here is one coming up.

HOTROC ASA

Official Launch Announcement

Halloween Launch, Saturday, October 31, 2015

Asa has a limited Launch Season,
This year, October to March
Texas weather being Texas weather,
We have to take advantage of every
opportunity to launch

I regret that this conflicts with other clubs'
launch schedules. We have attempted not
to step on other launch dates in the past and
ended up getting only 1 or 2 launches per year.
I understand people being committed to their
own clubs and respect them for it. All are
welcome at Asa HOTROC launches any time.

This is a Tripoli sanctioned launch. All Tripoli
rules apply. Please bring Tripoli-NAR membership
cards and present your card at registration.
No one under 18 years old near High Power pads
unsupervised by Level 2 Flyer.

Waiver to 11,000 ft. with Call-ins to 18,000 ft.
Launch Fees, 1 Day $15.00

Port-O-Jon will be provided (donations accepted)

Remember: This is a working farm, large trucks &
equipment use the road, road must be kept clear

All children must be supervised at all times

Please keep all pets on leash

It would be much appreciated if everyone would pick
up any trash or anything that doesn't belong on field

I am proud to help make these "events" an "occasion"

Marlin Philyaw
TRA# 2329 - L 3
Prefect
Triopli Waco #012

Okay, I'm going on record as saying 50:50 on this one. I'll have to leave around 2 if I can manage to get down there.

Okay, I'm going on record as saying 50:50 on this one. I'll have to leave around 2 if I can manage to get down there.

50/50 is not too bad. If you get there early you can still get in 4 or 5 hours of flying before 2:00, home by 4:00. I am going to try and get in 3 flights, a J90W in a small 4", 3 I140Ws in my Triple Threat 3X38, and a MD 38mm on a H669N. BTW, thanks for the motors pyrobob!

Last edited:
For those who don't mind a 6 hour drive for one of the best fields there is, Distant Thunder 15 is happening in Argonia Kansas on November 14-15. I haven't been there in quite a while but I plan on going to this one and camping on site. Great bunch of guys and did I mention the field :)

https://www.kloudbusters.org/

High power cluster's are back and here to stay thanks to the DMS motors. My earliest memories were of a local dude that did some crazy clustering, like a central I with 8 G's. Anybody remember the guy with the (if I recall) 'Tazmanian Devil' rocket at the DARS launches in Allen in the early/mid 90's? That was him. Super cool stuff man.

I still like the idea of a Dars launch thread. I think there is room for both it and this North Texas launch thread as well.

Ought to include all the DARS low power launches in the Dars thread as well.

I will keep an eye on both....

Last edited:
I am a definite maybe for the 31st , depending on family and work issues.

No short humans still living at home, so Halloween is doable for me.

Having to spend a fair amount of time dealing with aging parental unit health care issues, but I can likely come out for most of the day.

Spending 5 hours at the DARs Frisco launch yesterday was a very nice mental health break for me! Sure had fun.

I'm going to try to make this one. We'll see if that happens. If so, I plan a couple of H flights (at least one being a saucer) and a long burn I flight.

Am I the only one that can't pull up Asa, TX on Google Maps? I have to use the coordinates off Art's website to find it (31 25'51" N, 97 02'18" W). Googling Asa, TX turns up some sort of student organization at Baylor. Close but no cigar.

Am I the only one that can't pull up Asa, TX on Google Maps? I have to use the coordinates off Art's website to find it (31 25'51" N, 97 02'18" W). Googling Asa, TX turns up some sort of student organization at Baylor. Close but no cigar.

Or the Amateur Softball Association. :)

If I ever get to go I'll just get driving directions one of the guys who've been there to augment the coordinates that Art Applewhite gives.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hna46

[edit] Found some driving directions on the TNT page:

https://tripolinorthtexas.org/launch-site/

Last edited:
Going to try to make the morning at least. Thinking my 38 MD on an I59, sims to 8500' so the wide landing zone would be good. Now, can I fit the launch tower in the Prius? We'll see what the family scheduler has to say about this. When did all times become the busy times of year?

These are the coordinates that I used last time, took me right to it.

+31° 26' 13.51", -97° 1' 39.65

Okay, I'm going to bump up the odds to 60:40. I would have to leave by 2 but should be able to get a few flights in and watch a few; I've never seen the I59W...

By the way, I have another order in with AT that should be here next week in time for the launch. If you need anything special then let me know and I'll tack it on. Can't guarantee I'll be able to deliver it to the launch given the odds above but worst case I'm sure I could hand it off to one of our guys that will be attending, if necessary. Otherwise we can meet at the next meeting or meet during the week. Let me know asap....

Marlin is planning on setting up the night before and calling in the waiver for starting at 8:00 am so you can get an early start. For directions look for Steiner Rd in Waco, just past rocket road .

From Marlin,

Halloween Launch, This Saturday, Oct 31st
We’re hoping for sun& wind for this whole next week to dry out the launch range.
I’ll need everyone to watch this HOTROC Yahoo site for field updates and in the event
of last minute cancellation. I will go out and check the field on Thursday, Oct 29th
because that’s when I call FAA for the waiver.

Marlin

As soon as I get anything I will post it here. Sat forecast is calling for rain last time I looked.

Robert Vanover

Are sparkies okay at Asa? I'm planning on flying one in a saucer, assuming the weather cooperates.

Well, it looks like it will be work for me on Saturday instead of a launch.

I will keep my fingers crossed for everyone that the weather ends up better than forecast!

Yeah, some work and family stuff is pulling me away it seems and it will likely be a last minute decision. Hoping the weather works out either way!

It's a long drive from north okla....but I got !y things packed and ready for the drive

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Household insanity looks like it is going to make this one a no go for me. Good luck to all, hope the weather plays out well.

Marlin just posted the cancellation message for the Asa Halloween launch on the Hotrocs Yahoo list. Damp field and more rain comin'. But wasn't today beautiful. :sigh:

Thanks Sam for posting. Hope Marlin gets another one on the books asap!!

Jeez, can't launch & can't paint:mad: well at least there's the World Series:cool:

Official Announcement
Asa is NO GO for Halloween Launch, This Saturday, Oct 31st

As I’m sure you all know, the weather predications are gloom & doom (more rain)
So the Halloween launch will be postponed.

I will post another date after I check the field conditions.

Marlin Philyaw

A real shame, but not completely unexpected given the conditions and forecast.

I am looking forward to making it down there for a launch.

And back to Frisco for some LPR and MPR action as well. Hopefully the weather will be good for the Nov launch at Frisco.

Official Announcement
Asa is NO GO for Halloween Launch, This Saturday, Oct 31st

Thanks for the update, I was afraid of that when I saw the forecast. This makes Argonia a lot more doable for me, only two weeks away and now time to get some more motors!

Back