North Texas High Power Launches-NAR/Tripoli

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about that? Two HP launches in central TX on the same day, separated by a 30 minute drive.

If someone had a mind to do so, you could launch at two different HP launches in one day. Fly one or two in the morning at one site, take a short drive through Waco, catch lunch and then fly one or two at the other site.

How often do you get to do that?

Marlin says no go at Asa this weekend. We do have the Prairie Hill launch though if you want to come fly Saturday 9-4

Tripoli Houston is having their monthly launch at Hearne on the 14th, looks like it's only about 30-40 minutes further than Asa. So far the weather is looking good so I plan on going down to fly some dusty high power rockets. With our lack of fields in North Texas it's about the best option we have for now. Hopefully I will see a few of you there.

If the weather holds I may make the trip. One of their members has offered to bring along the chute I'm thinking about for my L3 for a test fit...rocket people are good people.

Last edited:
Looks like I'll make trip, but don't know how much I'll fly...maybe a nice relaxed mid power day, and playing around with new camera. Should arrive around 11 as I have to drop a lad off at swim practice before heading south.

Great, see you there. The weather looks good, overcast in the mid 70's with lite winds out of the south, should be a fun day. I'm bringing 5 rockets but its not likely I will get them all in the air. A little bit of everything, a 4" scratch built on a K513FJ, my 5.5" Thumper Jr on a J460T, Go Devil 38 on either a I1299N, J500G, or H170M. A scratch built 3", six fin on a J90, and maybe the Lil Nuke on something fun :)

Looks like I'll make trip, but don't know how much I'll fly...maybe a nice relaxed mid power day, and playing around with new camera. Should arrive around 11 as I have to drop a lad off at swim practice before heading south.

Last edited:
Great, see you there. The weather looks good, overcast in the mid 70's with lite winds out of the south, should be a fun day. I'm bringing 5 rockets but its not likely I will get them all in the air. A little bit of everything, a 4" scratch built on a K513FJ, my 5.5" Thumper Jr on a J460T, Go Devil 38 on either a I1299W, J500G, or H170M. A scratch built 3", six fin on a J90, and maybe the Lil Nuke on something fun :)

Got any pictures of the 6 fin rocket? I don't know what it is, but I dig 5+ fins on a rocket :).

Great, see you there. The weather looks good, overcast in the mid 70's with lite winds out of the south, should be a fun day. I'm bringing 5 rockets but its not likely I will get them all in the air. A little bit of everything, a 4" scratch built on a K513FJ, my 5.5" Thumper Jr on a J460T, Go Devil 38 on either a I1299W, J500G, or H170M. A scratch built 3", six fin on a J90, and maybe the Lil Nuke on something fun :)

I went ahead and joined Tripoli today, and being L2 NAR I confirmed that I should be able to fly some of those decertified motors at the launch tomorrow. I'm still on for the DARS old school motor launch, I'll only burn motors I have more than one of tomorrow. Hopefully I have a few rockets already built that will work with some of that stuff.

I went ahead and joined Tripoli today, and being L2 NAR I confirmed that I should be able to fly some of those decertified motors at the launch tomorrow. I'm still on for the DARS old school motor launch, I'll only burn motors I have more than one of tomorrow. Hopefully I have a few rockets already built that will work with some of that stuff.

Definitely save some! And, try to film the ones you do fly in the mean time :):):).

Put this one on a milk carton. Last seen fleeing Hearne Municipal Airport at a high rate of speed.

Jeff, you should be able to download the full resolution one from my Flikr account.

Rest of the launch here. That Mega Mosquito took off like a scalded cat with an old school AT G46 White 24 mm in it.

Put this one on a milk carton. Last seen fleeing Hearne Municipal Airport at a high rate of speed.

Well at least you got a great shot for the milk carton. Doesn't look like Jeff got cheated on the "up" part. What's the story ?

I lost the GPS signal right after liftoff and the rocket went completely out of sight on it's way to 6000', no one saw it but we heard the ejection pop at apogee, a rather long search in the general direction it was heading turned up nothing. I am assuming the battery connection on the eggfinder came loose during acceleration. Thanks for the great pic Chris.

Jeff, you should be able to download the full resolution one from my Flikr account.

Rest of the launch here. That Mega Mosquito took off like a scalded cat with an old school AT G46 White 24 mm in it.

Oh man, what motor was this???

What? No tracker? :confused2: Shoot, I got one of those and they're nice.

Kurt

I lost the GPS signal right after liftoff and the rocket went completely out of sight on it's way to 6000', no one saw it but we heard the ejection pop at apogee, a rather long search in the general direction it was heading turned up nothing. I am assuming the battery connection on the eggfinder came loose during acceleration. Thanks for the great pic Chris.

There is generally six or more folks at Hearne that have VERY good APRS tracking capability on 70cm. If your looking for a replacement GPS tracker, I highly recommend the TeleGPS or one of the Big Red Bees. I understand this recommendation doesn't fix the root cause of loosing power to your GPS system. Just wanted to let you know there is extensive support for 70cm and 2m APRS at Hearne. Good luck with your future flights.

There is generally six or more folks at Hearne that have VERY good APRS tracking capability on 70cm. If your looking for a replacement GPS tracker, I highly recommend the TeleGPS or one of the Big Red Bees. I understand this recommendation doesn't fix the root cause of loosing power to your GPS system. Just wanted to let you know there is extensive support for 70cm and 2m APRS at Hearne. Good luck with your future flights.

Thanks for the info RFO, good to know. I have used a 70cm Big Red Bee in the past with pretty good results but I ended up selling it. I have a few more of the eggfinders in the range box right now so I should be good for a while :)

I have had 100% success with these and I like the bluetooth connection to the Rocket Locator app for Android phones which shows you exactly where your rocket landed on a google satellite map. The lose of this eggfinder was totally user error in the battery connection.

I finally got around to pulling the GoPro images, and here are a couple more for you, Jeff.

The second one is crappy, but shows the rail guides released.

For mine, one of the F12s came up before the I200, but the other F12 never showed any sign of life...must have been a bad igniter. Fortunately the I200 was so much more powerful the rocket flew very straight.

Nice photos - amazing how the F12 basically disappears after the I200 comes up.

Tripoli Houstons monthly launch is this Saturday the 11th at Hearne Municipal if anyone wants to fly some HP. I'll be heading down with Jacob early in the morning, should be a beautiful day in the low 80's.

Back