Reggiane Re. 2005 Sagittario Model Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddyisabar

Oddroc scum. Mindsimmer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe not one of the most successful fighters of WWII but oh my, ITZA PRETTY ONE! And it is good shape to make into a silly rocket plane oddroc. BT 70 with Flis 24mm tri-motor mount and balsa nose cones; a Duces Wild cone up front for the spinner with the very tip lobbed off for the MG 151 firing through the V 12 Daimler Benz 605 motor and prop. Fuselage BT 70 is reinforced with couplers. Lots of lumber everywhere else. Reject Apogee motor tube from the freebe bin for the launch lug. Hollowed out the balsa nose cone and got a big, awesome eye bolt from the hardware store. When I show the nose cone to the high power certified guys at the club I am going to say I need super strong, high quality, metal recovery harness hardware because of the super strong forces I am going to encounter with this almost high power bird. They are real familiar with the high end recovery stuff so maybe then they won't say anything about being desperate for stinking, performance robbing nose weight.

Yes, it is time to get out the black shirt. With some square jawed machismo I will get the launch started on time! I will say to all "Balsa nose cones RULE!" and start the Flisonians chanting EL Duces! EL Duces! EL Duces! We in the Regia Aeronautica love those three motor planes and sleek fighters that look as good as our sports cars! With three E 12's we will have the power to make a New Rome. Bundle up the thick long launch rods into the fascis, symbolizing the power of the Pad Fuhrer. With all the hoopla and fervor I sure hope to get a pad assignment. The Ebay Decals should be in this week which will be the ticket to beauty school for this sleek Italian looker. Hopefully she will live up to her name and fly arrow straight!

Re 2005 10.jpgRe 2005 9.jpgRe 2005 7.jpgRE 2005 8.jpgRe 2005 6.jpgRe 2005 5.jpgRe 2005 4.jpgRe 2005 2.jpgRe 2005 1.jpgRe 2005 3.jpg

Last edited:
That's some eye bolt surrounded by BBs.

Yes. The steel is the same as Tiger Tank armor. I need absolute confidence the eye will hold. Bullet proofing the recovery hardware is essential given the tremendous forces encountered by this high powered and very speedy rocket. With the rocket assist I'm sure its' service ceiling will be high enough to take down the B-29s. If the atmospheric friction burns off some of the spinner's paint I will proudly take it back to the highly certified guys, like a red badge of courage, having flown the awesome power of three E12s with an exotically reinforced balsa nose cone, hollowed out,soaked with CA and backed with epoxy, BBs and a high grade, ACE hardware eye bolt. The bolt had a whole bunch of warning labels on it so I am sure it is the best, and the Made in China thing was certainly a misprint. In the end it was a lot of work on the nose cone, but it will be worth it when it stands up for the entire flight. Strength is key and if it accidentally happened to turn out to be a wee bit heavy I know I have the motors to handle it.

Wow! Yet another cool rocket jet/plane! Nice craftsmanship on the form & on the canopy. Looking forward to the finished fighter & flight report! :)

Beautiful. Now - how to make that nose weight slug slide back to the CG, driven by the ejection charges? Wait - that's not too hard. How to keep it in place during accelleration?

Beautiful. Now - how to make that nose weight slug slide back to the CG, driven by the ejection charges? Wait - that's not too hard. How to keep it in place during accelleration?

Glide recovery would be awesome an you would really have to know what you are doing. This one just has a lot of epoxy, BBs, mindsim and prayer.

What were the nose and tail cones? And could you post your canopy pattern? I have a boy who's keen on adapting your methods to a Spitfire or BF109.

I make the canopy card stock pieces by hand, it is not that hard, no need for a plan or template. First, I cut a desired length of tube (approximately the diameter of the motor tube). Then cut it with scissors length wise and CA tack it level with the top of the protruding motor tube to for a base. I then cut desired lengths of card stock, wrap it over the base, mark and cut as needed. For the back motor opening mark one side, fold it over and make an exact duplicate cut on the other, glue on with tacky glue. For the windscreen I hack a chunk of balsa to approximately the right shape, glue it in front of the base tube, and the cover it with appropriately cut front wind screen pieces (card stock). The 109 will be nice and square, the Spitfire bubble canopy will be a bit more challenging, but very doable with some shaped balsa or even wood epoxy clay if you can take the weight.

Any standard nose cone will work depending on what size you are going for and what is available. I like BT 70 because of the Flis motor mount and he has workable balsa cones for rear and even the front if you hollow them out. Plastic nose cone in front for BT 70 come from Apogee and you might end up cutting it and merging with a smaller plastic nose cone to make the Spitfire spinner. Use lots of Plastic epoxy clay and green putty on the outside because weight is your friend up front.

The RE 2005 is kind of a Spitfire with a 109 motor.

I never knew that Krupp Steel made eye bolts....

Yes. The steel is the same as Tiger Tank armor. I need absolute confidence the eye will hold. Bullet proofing the recovery hardware is essential given the tremendous forces encountered by this high powered and very speedy rocket. With the rocket assist I'm sure its' service ceiling will be high enough to take down the B-29s. If the atmospheric friction burns off some of the spinner's paint I will proudly take it back to the highly certified guys, like a red badge of courage, having flown the awesome power of three E12s with an exotically reinforced balsa nose cone, hollowed out,soaked with CA and backed with epoxy, BBs and a high grade, ACE hardware eye bolt. The bolt had a whole bunch of warning labels on it so I am sure it is the best, and the Made in China thing was certainly a misprint. In the end it was a lot of work on the nose cone, but it will be worth it when it stands up for the entire flight. Strength is key and if it accidentally happened to turn out to be a wee bit heavy I know I have the motors to handle it.

I never knew that Krupp Steel made eye bolts....

Yes, made with pure Swedish iron ore from the neutral friends up north. Those recovery bolts are the best and only top quality German components will due in my HiPo recovery hardware inventory. The problem is the Germans promise their Italian Allies they will supply the good stuff and then the delays start. Th DB 605 engines being relied upon do not arrive on time and you know how hard those black shirts worked to alleviate Italian tardiness, When they faced German tardiness it was a bit too much and the whole thing just fell apart.

This one flew a while back but it is only now I can speak of the flight. I used 2 old Q2G2s and one from a new batch (no red straw and smaller, dull tip) The new one did not light, the tip just burnt a bit and did not ignite the motor. I should have known better due to results I had on a previous attempts with the new batch of Q2G2s. Since then I have only used the old style. The new ones got thrown into the STARTER bag. The carnage was as follows:

RE Crash 1.jpgRE Crash 2.jpgRE Crash 3.jpgRe Crash 4.jpgRE Crash 5.jpgRE Crash 6.jpgRE Crash 7.jpgRE Crash 8.jpg

Like the real plane the RE 2005 had a very short career.

Daddy...sorry to see these pictures! looks like she got hit up by some P-51s''

ps- How is the Hauptman doing??

This one flew a while back but it is only now I can speak of the flight. I used 2 old Q2G2s and one from a new batch (no red straw and smaller, dull tip) The new one did not light, the tip just burnt a bit and did not ignite the motor. I should have known better due to results I had on a previous attempts with the new batch of Q2G2s. Since then I have only used the old style. The new ones got thrown into the STARTER bag. The carnage was as follows:

View attachment 292228View attachment 292229View attachment 292230View attachment 292231View attachment 292232View attachment 292233View attachment 292234View attachment 292235

Like the real plane the RE 2005 had a very short career.

Back