"Motor Stick"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary7

Reaction score
What do you use for inserting ignitors into your long high power motors and where do you get them?
I have searched for 3mm long bamboo, 1/8 inch dowels etc.

Michaels, Hobby Lobby, any hobby or craft shop... Hardware store probably has em too.

I'm somewhat curious about the question being asked here because I've not had any issues inserting ignitors into the CTI motors I've been using (24-54mm, H-K).

Is this issue something peculiar to a particular brand, size, or propellant configuration?

When you are doing a larger 54mm motor or a 75mm & 98mm, you need something to keep the igniter properly positioned for ignition. In 75 & 98, the igniter lead is not strong enough to support the head 3+ feet up the nozzle. Plus the bore of the grains and the large nozzle opening just allows the igniter to fall out. So we frequently tape it to a thin dowel or bamboo stick to make the leads a bit more rigid.

Last edited:
When you are dong a larger 54mm motor or a 75mm & 98mm, you need something to keep the igniter properly positioned for ignition. In 75 & 98, the igniter lead is not strong enough to support the head 3+ feet up the nozzle. Plus the bore of the grains and the large nozzle opening just allows the igniter to fall out. So we frequently tape it to a thin dowel or bamboo stick to make the leads a bit more rigid.
That explains why I've not (yet) experienced the issue.

Thank you for the comprehensive explanation.

Another item for my range storage bin... :facepalm:

What I do on my long motors to keep the igniter where I want it is this. Take the end of your igniter leads and gently chuck them up in a cordless drill. I keep a cheap 7.2 volt rechargeable unit in my range box. Then hold the igniter about a inch below the head , and slowly spin the drill. The wires will slowly coil up and go stiff. A 36 inch long igniter will stand vertical on its own.

Eric

What I do on my long motors to keep the igniter where I want it is this. Take the end of your igniter leads and gently chuck them up in a cordless drill. I keep a cheap 7.2 volt rechargeable unit in my range box. Then hold the igniter about a inch below the head , and slowly spin the drill. The wires will slowly coil up and go stiff. A 36 inch long igniter will stand vertical on its own.

Neat trick, I need to try that.

Lowes and home depot have em, 1/8 " dowels. Usually about a buck apiece. I emptied the bin last time I bought them.

WalMart in Princeton always seems to have 1/8 inch on the shelf.

Didn't want to wait to get to Princeton to risk finding the Walmart there without them. We have two Walmart stores here, neither had them.
But the local Hobby Lobby has them for only $0.29 each. Both Farm & Fleet and Menards also has them here.

Speaking of Princeton, I'll have an extra few so if you need one and cannot find or don't have one look me up. Just look for the big Hydra. :blush:

Thanks for all your replies.

Back