Open Rocket Question...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frungkis

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about the weight OR says a motor weighs after you make a selection, more specifically when you select a reload motor. Does OR automatically add the weight of the motor casing or just the propellant? Should I also include a misc mass object to my design to represent the motor casing where the motor resides so that the CP, CG, and stability cal remain accurate? Thank you for any information you can provide.

OR assumes the weight of the Motor Case and Propellant, since you need a fully loaded weight to properly calculate CG and CP. There is no need to add mass unless you need it to balance the CP/CG relationship. Just make sure that you weigh each piece you build and imput the numbers correctly into the overrides, then the sim is for your rocket not a theoretical rocket. Don't worry about the motor its fine with whatever OR inputs unless you make changes like adding an eyebolt to a plugged motor bulkhead in that case add the eyebolt as a mass object.

OR doesn't do well if you use a longer case w/ spacers, other than that it does well.
Rex

Back