Autodesk Fusion 360 is free

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcravens

Reaction score
I use it pretty frequently. It's web based so it can be a little slow sometimes, but you can't beat the price.

I've used it on a couple projects. The CAM side of it is much more efficient than any other low cost CAM solution, but the CAD end seems fairly clunky. For example I have a hard time placing features at the exact coordinates I want. I really need to go through all of the training videos at some point.

Rail Adapter.jpg

Playing with it so far it seems that for CAD you need to put a fair amount of effort into the Sketch mode building up your designs from composition. Feels almost drafting table like at times.

I've used it on a couple projects. The CAM side of it is much more efficient than any other low cost CAM solution, but the CAD end seems fairly clunky. For example I have a hard time placing features at the exact coordinates I want. I really need to go through all of the training videos at some point.

View attachment 274071

Interesting. Can it import .stl/.dxf files and output G-Code? Hmmmm ....

Greg

Greg.... that's exactly what I wonder. I only use Solidworks, but if I can use this to export stuff for 3D printing and CNC work.... :)

I'm 99% sure that it can import .stl. My understanding is that .dxf is a 2d only format, but maybe that was just a limitation of the only other 3d CAM tool I tried using. I usually draw all most my parts in TurboCAD 2d and then manually set all of my cut depths in my 2d CAM tool.

Interesting. Can it import .stl/.dxf files and output G-Code? Hmmmm ....

Greg

Remember that Solidworks is free to veterans ($20 handling). Google solidworks veteran.

Wow I didn't know about the Solidworks thing either, good tip. I have been using Fusion 360 for a few months with a laser cutter and 3d printer. I agree that the CAD is a little clunky, but since all my laser designs are 2d anyways I generally just create a sketch then export it as a DXF. Can't complain for the price.

Back