The NFL -- Is it just me?...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Maybe it is just me, but it seems like professional football has migrated to a state of complete boredom. When I watch a game (and I have had a good sampling lately recovering from knee surgery), except for a scant few plays, there is utter lack of action and excitement from players. The overall caliber of team play seems to have deteriorated over the decades--no more Niners, Steelers, Dolphins; instead today's game seems to be built around placing your bet on one or two stars and big plays. In addition, due to the rules changes enacted to protect players (good as they may be) and pampering of receivers/quarterbacks, each series of downs is plagued with a flurry of penalty flags. Finally layer on top of that the coach's challenges and mandatory replay/reviews and now what was once slow is now glacial. Oh, and the god awful fantasy football commercials over-and-over AARRGGHH :gavel:

Dolphins....sigh.....It doesn't help that my team has been horrid...but yes, the 70's and 80's were so much better....and no cheating. I understand your point, but there were some pretty exciting games this weekend.

Dolphins....sigh.....It doesn't help that my team has been horrid...but yes, the 70's and 80's were so much better....and no cheating. I understand your point, but there were some pretty exciting games this weekend.

Close scores yes, but exciting is relative. I guess I need a DVR that only records the last 10 minutes of each game while deleting all commercials--then maybe...

................and no cheating.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cant sit thru a game. Between what the OPs posted and also add in the commercials, I go stir crazy waiting for some action.
I usually am working on a rocket or outside during the games. Ill check on them here and there, but again,I cant just sit and watch.
Im a good fan of the game and I do the Fantasy Football. (just 10 of us at work).

...no cheating...Now thats funny, I dont care who you are... :lol: :lol:

I only watch my home team, but I DVR everything and fast-forward between plays and through commercials. Can watch a whole game in about 90 minutes.

I quit watching after the cheating episode in the playoffs last year. I refuse to watch another game.

NBA starts soon. I will stick with watching pro basketball.

Football? Go Timbers!

198px-Portland_Timbers_%28MLS%29_logo.svg.png

Last year I found an internet site that switched from game to game, the one with the most action at the moment usually when a team would be in the Red Zone. They would pop around a lot but I've been unable to find them this year :p

It is just another TV show to get you watching the advertising.
NASCAR is worse, the cars are plastered with ads so there is never a empty $$$ moment.

M

I find it very hard to care much about professional sports, with the possible exception if the NBA. Now, my alma mater's basketball team...that is some serious stuff around my house.

As for the NFL specifically, the seemingly endless stream of arrests for violence; Roger Goodell; the persistent, asinine denial (and active suppression of the data) that repeated concussions are a problem, and the subsequent turning their back on the players that built the league and are now broken, depressed, house plants; Roger Goodell; the completely screwy way that contract aren't guaranteed in a sport with the highest probability of injury; Roger Goodell; the blackmail levied against city after city to get taxpayer funded, billion dollar stadiums; Roger Goodell; the fact that until recently they were a tax exempt organization; Roger Goodell; "I don't want to hear about your fantasy football team"; and of course, Roger Goodell have turned me off to the league. I use to watch about 2-3 games per week, but now I probably average about 3 games a year.

All sports have their issues, but man the NFL is the undisputed champion. In other words, you are not alone...not a fan.

The Broncos are 5-0 and some of the most boring football ever! I'm usually surfing during the games, or we watch something else and jump back to see if anything exciting is happening ...

I used to have the Sunday Ticket and spend all day Sunday watching football. I gave it up about 3 or 4 years ago, for the same reason. Boredom. The NFL has broken the rules and no one know how to tackle anymore. I watch a lot of hockey now.

I used to have the Sunday Ticket and spend all day Sunday watching football. I gave it up about 3 or 4 years ago, for the same reason. Boredom. The NFL has broken the rules and no one know how to tackle anymore. I watch a lot of hockey now.

...where they definitely know how to tackle. :wink:

For the most part I have quit watching sports; I find all of them to be fairly boring.

I saw this comedy routine about a year ago where one guy chastised the other guy for being a fan of a pro sports team. He said it was just a collection of highly paid people all wearing the same color jersey. Next week any number of these players could be traded and they would spout the same undying loyalty to their new team. If you think about it, once you get past high school, very few players, coaches, etc. have any link to the community in which they play; they are simply paid to be there.

I watch a lot of hockey now.

Yes! Hockey is the best sport. Although this year they have their own issues...

As for football, I still watch. Or at least try to. If I'm not building a rocket in my basement, I'll be falling asleep on the couch with a football game on.

The Broncos are 5-0 and some of the most boring football ever! I'm usually surfing during the games, or we watch something else and jump back to see if anything exciting is happening ...
Ya, 5-0. go figure???????

I've watched more games this season than I have in probably the last 3-4 combined. I don't care for either of the local teams. I tend to watch the Packers and Broncos mainly because I like their QBs.

My wife and I got into the Sharks about 3-4 years ago and I enjoy watching their games, but I usually DVR them and skip through all of the dead air. We also attend 3-4 games a year and I usually have a good time as long as we're not surrounded by drunks or potty mouths.

I've watched more games this season than I have in probably the last 3-4 combined. I don't care for either of the local teams. I tend to watch the Packers and Broncos mainly because I like their QBs.

My wife and I got into the Sharks about 3-4 years ago and I enjoy watching their games, but I usually DVR them and skip through all of the dead air. We also attend 3-4 games a year and I usually have a good time as long as we're not surrounded by drunks or potty mouths.

Oh, your playing the Devils next....too bad NJ is not very good anymore......

I dig college football and I am trying to absorb as much as I can before it gets more commercial than it already is. Still, I think it's the only place to watch a real game. Maybe I'd feel different if my beloved Baylor Bears weren't so kick ass but for now they are.

I feel the same about the NBA, and haven't cared about it for 10+ years

I was going to mention the NBA. For the most part, just a bunch of overpaid thugs with WAY too much self importance. Seems like football is less so, and baseball as well. I don't really follow hockey but went to an Avalanche game a few years ago, and it was an absolute blast. We also go occasionally to the local hockey team games, the Colorado Eagles.

Not following sports does allow more times for rocketry, and my primary hobby, woodworking, especially wood turning. Pens, tool handles, peppermills, and of course, nose cones. :D

I used to watch football every weekend. It's basically the only reason I owned a TV. I only watched a hand full of games last year and watched 1 quarter of the game last Sunday night. I'm not sure what has caused my lack of interest (probably a ton of things like Chris), but I don't really care about the NFL anymore. I'll still watch a game, but I have no rooting interest in any of them.

All pro sports, and really college sports too, have degenerated into orgies of money grubbing.

About 60 years ago we needed a constitutional amendment utterly forbidding the use of tax money to finance stadiums and arenas or subsidize pro sports in any way. There's probably no industry that sucks more money off the public teet with less payback than professional sports.

Study after study has shown that professional sports franchises generate almost no bottom line economic benefit other than for the franchise owners.

But that horse left the barn 50-60 years ago. Most cities now are into their second or third round of building taxpayer-paid stadiums for sports franchises. The Minnesota Twins for instance are playing in their third taxpayer-paid stadium.

Last edited:
Back